Looking for oil advice - 5w-50 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all, just looking for some advice here on what would be best for my engine.

Car: 2016 VW Golf R - Highly modified. Engine has built bottom end (bored .5mm over, aftermarket rods, pistons), big turbo upgrade, custom tune, full bolt-ons. Stock is 292HP, I'm somewhere in the area of 450HP.

Live in Socal. Temps under 50F will almost never be seen.

Car is used primarily as a daily driver, with spirited driving here and there and the occasional track day (2-3 times a year)

Stock... the manual calls for 5w-40 oil. However with the upgraded internals, my builder told me they recommend I use 5w-50 for better wear protection due to the slightly looser tolerances with the aftermarket pistons and better high heat protection.

So 5w-50 is surprisingly difficult to locate online and the options are pretty sparse... so I'm just looking at my options.
I'm just looking for the best protection for my engine for performance and long term reliability

But here's what I'm looking at:

- Motul Sport 5w-50
- Liqui Moly CeraTec

I normally don't mess with oil additives but I've heard really, really good things about Liqui Moly MOS2 and Ceratec so I'm gonna give Ceratec a try as I know some people that swear by it. One of my main concerns is with a 5w-50 I'll have even more initial wear during cold starts so I'm thinking a friction modifier should help with that, as AFIAK a large portion of the wear occurs during the first 5-10 seconds of a cold start.

Any thoughts or comments or advice? Thanks!

Since you have changed the clearances, the 5W is no longer appropriate. If you need more viscosity hot, you need more cold too. I'd move to any of a number of 15W-50 oils that are well known for track day abuse like Mobil-1 and others ... Never gets cold enough in SoCal to even need 15W, but it's the way it comes most often...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-15W-50-Full-Synthetic-Motor-Oil-5-qt./20713647

I am a big fan of Motul for built engines. But I'd move up the viscosity range as stated above. And in lesser spread viscosity range oils there are a ton of good choices including Motul
smile.gif

Here's a smorgasbord of Motuls best: https://svmotori.com/motul-performance-lubricants.html?gclid=CIKInabT09ACFcuOfgod_YMPXw 300V has not been surpassed for racing oils in a l-o-n-g time. Redline keeps trying, but ...
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Mobil 1 15w50 is widely available. My preference would be Redline in whatever weight you want.

Last edited:
France Motor Tool 300V, but with this cushy oil you don't need a 50.

30% torque boost you don't want LL with it attendant high base high detergency - just moderate.

Pretty sure Pennzoil Platinum 5w50 exists.. but other folks might be right about 15w50 being something to consider as well.

I was told by Gena that Pennzoil Platinum 5W50 is discontinued. And none of the parts chains here carries Edge 5W50 anymore.

In So Cal, I'd consider a 10W-60 in warmer weather and 5W-50 in winter only IMO... BMW, Castrol Edge or Liquimoly would be options. Mobil 1 5W-50 is available in the States now...

I wouldn't consider a 5w50 for that application, especially the ones formulated for Ford applications.
I recommend Redline 10w50 or 15w50. Stout oils with a lot of wear protection.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
I wouldn't consider a 5w50 for that application, especially the ones formulated for Ford applications.
I recommend Redline 10w50 or 15w50. Stout oils with a lot of wear protection.

+1

There is no need for a 5w in your area , A smaller visc spread potentially will give you more protection.

Ok so it looks like 15w-50 is the winner.
Already ordered to Motul 5w-50 though so I guess I will just use that until the next change.
Is there a specific reason some people are saying 5w would not be good for my application? Sorry kind of an oil noob here and just want to understand the reasoning.

Originally Posted By: Azoth

Is there a specific reason some people are saying 5w would not be good for my application? Sorry kind of an oil noob here and just want to understand the reasoning.

The greater the viscosity spread, the more polymer VII's are used to formulate the oil (given the same base chemistry).

More VII can lead to more shear and more contamination.

However if you live in a very cold climate you need it for cold starting. If you live in a warm climate then it's not needed.

The cold start / winter rating (xW) as much as you need but not more than you need.

Having said that I'm sure your Motul will be fine for your next OCI. We like to split hairs here.

Good stuff... makes perfect sense, I was unaware of this. I'm always down for some good old fashioned hair splitting

Originally Posted By: SR5
Originally Posted By: Azoth

The greater the viscosity spread, the more polymer VII's are used to formulate the oil (given the same base chemistry).

More VII can lead to more shear and more contamination.

However if you live in a very cold climate you need it for cold starting. If you live in a warm climate then it's not needed.

The cold start / winter rating (xW) as much as you need but not more than you need.

Having said that I'm sure your Motul will be fine for your next OCI. We like to split hairs here.

This should be a sticky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back