2016 F150 2.7 UOA - Maxlife Syn 5w30 7,165mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Rolla07
I know Im going after minor details but I'd keep the OCI at 7500 miles because viscosity might drop below thresh hold..but I assume it wouldnt hurt going past that.

What thresh hold? I've seen Ford provide a spec for new oil, 5w30, but nothing about used oil. Oil shears and gets diluted with fuel, Ford and every other car manufacturer would have seen this in testing and decided its acceptable. Oil dropping below viscosity grade during use is not enough to condemn oil on its own.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Wow, TBN still at 4.4. Very nice report. So much for that old belief that Valvoline synthetics aren't an extended drain oil.
The ability for an oil to work for extended oil change intervals depends on more than the oil itself.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: wemay
Wow, TBN still at 4.4. Very nice report. So much for that old belief that Valvoline synthetics aren't an extended drain oil.
The ability for an oil to work for extended oil change intervals depends on more than the oil itself.

Yes, i know. But there have been many on here who labeled Synpower with that moniker without qualification

Originally Posted By: 09_GXP
I know Im going after minor details but I'd keep the OCI at 7500 miles because viscosity might drop below thresh hold..but I assume it wouldnt hurt going past that.

What thresh hold? I've seen Ford provide a spec for new oil, 5w30, but nothing about used oil. Oil shears and gets diluted with fuel, Ford and every other car manufacturer would have seen this in testing and decided its acceptable. Oil dropping below viscosity grade during use is not enough to condemn oil on its own.

Oil shears down due to high temps, although very few engines types suffer from high temp shearing of their oil. Mostly high revving bike or race engines with hot turbo's.
Fuel contamination just thins the oil and interferes with the AW layer of Zinc and Moly.

The UOA looks real good and the OLM indicates 10K should be OK, probably due to longer trips.

I would not run an oil until it is out of grade, although if an engine is certified for a 20 grade, then there is nothing wrong in using a 30 grade until it finishes up just inside the 20 grade range.

Looking at the other 2.7 ecos M1 and Pennzoil pp dropped out of viscosity yet this oil at approx 2,000 more miles is still in grade.

Looking at the other 2.7 ecos M1 and Pennzoil pp dropped out of viscosity yet this oil at approx 2,000 more miles is still in grade.

That is curious. We'll see how it does when I test again.

Appreciate if care to provide appropriate UOA links for comparison ..
blush.gif

The viscosity drop from virgin was roughly the same from this Maxlife and my PP run. Maxlife just starts out thicker. This seems to be two readings, within the margin of error, that just had different starting points.

The viscosity drop from virgin was roughly the same from this Maxlife and my PP run. Maxlife just starts out thicker. This seems to be two readings, within the margin of error, that just had different starting points.
If I buy a 30wt I don't want to end up with a 28 and 6/7 wt. !
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: zeng

blush.gif

At 7165 miles, I'd a hunch that it's KV@100*C had bottomed out at 20 wt territory ...
and is on its way thickening up though I've evidence to support my case.
blush.gif

blush.gif

At 7165 miles, I'd a hunch that it's KV@100*C had bottomed out at 20 wt territory ...
and is on its way thickening up though I've evidence to support my case.
blush.gif

With a TBN of 4.4, I doubt oxidative thickening is occurring at this point.

If you use an Xw30 in a petrol job and it finishes up in the very top of the 20 range, I doubt if it's an issue, BUT if you use an Xw30 in a diesel, or an Xw20 in a petrol job and it finishes up a grade lower, I would dump it for sure or move up a grade IF that is OK in warranty terms.

Last edited:
Other than oil oxidation/polymerisation, volatization of engine oils could be another source of viscosity thickening phenomenon.

That is true, but in this case I think that a lot of oil would had to have been lost to volatility in order for the viscosity to recover to that great of an extent. Max life syn has a noack of ~10% which is pretty good.

It would be fun for one to have their very own ubbelohde viscometer and 100 C bath to run viscosity every 1000 miles and plot it on a graph to see if it decreases then starts to increase later. As long as the apparatus is kept clean the oil could even be returned to the engine after measurement ;-)

Originally Posted By: Carbon12

It would be fun for one to have their very own ubbelohde viscometer and 100 C bath to run viscosity every 1000 miles and plot it on a graph to see if it decreases then starts to increase later. As long as the apparatus is kept clean the oil could even be returned to the engine after measurement ;-)

In almost every engine I've seen run in a lab with daily oil samples it does just that. You see a quick drop followed by increasing later on. Aside from engine design the biggest factor in the shape of the curve is the oil temperature during the run (if it is light driving versus heavy driving.)

Cherry picking a MaxLife 5W30 UOA at residual FP of 395*F that shears to 20 wt from UOA section.
Credit to its original poster.

Cherry picking a MaxLife 5W30 UOA at residual FP of 395*F that shears to 20 wt from UOA section.

Not sure it's a direct comparison. Was this UOA for ML red bottle syn blend or the full synthetic? Not sure either was Dexos in 2013. Both are currently dexos rated I believe. The OP in this thread was using the synthetic version which should be less prone to both shearing and thickening, correct?

Originally Posted By: Carbon12

Not sure it's a direct comparison. Was this UOA for ML red bottle syn blend or the full synthetic? Not sure either was Dexos in 2013. Both are currently dexos rated I believe. The OP in this thread was using the synthetic version which should be less prone to both shearing and thickening, correct?

Agree with you it isn't quite a comparison .... as Maxlife refered to here probably is blend. IDK.
But I'd seen an UOA in this forum on SynPower 5W30 at 6341 miles dated Sept '13 indicating KV*100C of 9.1 cSt, FP of 395F, TBN of 1.9 and TAN of 2.9 .
It's another cherry pick though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back