How Do You Convince Them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Would you mind not typing in bold? It's the internet equivalent of shouting.

thanks

I thought the internet equivalent of shouting was WRITING IN CAPITAL LETTERS
confused.gif

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
I was in walmart last week and an older lady in her 70s was in the sporting goods department asking for non detergent gravely oil.

I sat back and watched as the counter guy paged the automotive guy. Automotive guy: we dont have gravely oil but we have lawnmower oil. Woman: its a tractor. Guy: I think we have tractor oil. I saw the lady afterward in another part of the store and noticed she did not have any oil in her buggy... so I guess she will probably end up at a gravely dealer.

You referenced the Fram as the OCOD.. So lets see how you convince me that the Fram is the OCOD.

36.gif

It's been given that name by many members besides me. Would you rather I call it the OCOJUNK?
grin.gif

35.gif

Lets go back 2 months ago and see what members are saying.. "Orange Can of Delight"
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4214714/Can_we_now_agree_that_Fram_is_

21.gif

FWIW..you are correct that it used to be called the OCOD. But things have changed since then. Yes its hard to convince people otherwise...in all things considered.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I don't bother anymore. It makes my life so much better.

+1 - You can reason (with proof) till you're blue in the face and they will still do what they're gonna do.
And lord have mercy , if they take your suggestion and something goes "wrong" with their vehicle .
Even if it's not related to the same system.
i.e - Brakes squeaking because you recommended a different oil filter. SMH
12.gif

And don't fear the Orange can
grin.gif

Last edited:
They can read the owner's manuals as well as you. No need to go any further.

The M1 0w-40 and Fram Ultra filter in one of my car gets changed annually, with only 1200 miles on it. The other car gets 4K oil changes on PP. The horror.

Originally Posted By: Rhymingmechanic
If anything, maybe you could walk your father through the process for resetting his OLM. And offer to take their used oil to the parts store if they currently use it to kill weeds.

Your cousin proves that motorsports sponsorship works.

My father is 76 years old. And, you're correct in what you stated about walking him through it. I did, because he didn't understand it. But, since that time, the light has come on again. He is taking it to Ford next Tuesday when he goes to the VA.
Honestly, I don't have the means to do that with the oil. I can't even change my own oil.
frown.gif

I've worked with more than a few crusty old Cajun's - salt of the earth guys - but can take allot of effort to change their minds - However, if spending less and getting more don't work - talk about fishing instead ...

Originally Posted By: knoas

thanks

confused.gif

YEAH, I THOUGHT THE SAME THING............
28.gif

Originally Posted By: Chris142
just like the people that say a brand causes sludge. you dont tell them anything. you cant out argue them.
Dunning - Kruger Syndrome...Credit to Shannow.

If you exchange or give gifts to your family members for birthdays or Christmas, do this....
purchase your favorite oil and filter, give it to them, and when they refuse to use it, they will give it back to you, saying something like "thanks for the thought, but I have my own ritual for oil changes" and you get the joy of giving, and get your oil and filter back!
A win-win for all !

grin.gif

Originally Posted By: BalticBob
If you exchange or give gifts to your family members for birthdays or Christmas, do this....
purchase your favorite oil and filter, give it to them, and when they refuse to use it, they will give it back to you, saying something like "thanks for the thought, but I have my own ritual for oil changes" and you get the joy of giving, and get your oil and filter back!
A win-win for all !

grin.gif

lol.gif
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Miller88
You don't. I don't talk with anyone about oil or my oil decisions. That's just as bad as talking religion / politics. Maybe worse!
+1

blue oval filter:

i haven't read the whole thread so i don't know if anyone has suggested this, but have u asked them to give you their used oil?

i would sure get some good use out of it myself!

i would run it through my home made filter set up and get many more thousand's of miles out of it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I don't bother anymore. It makes my life so much better.

Great advice! Thanks!
thumbsup2.gif
34.gif

Exactly. You might convince someone with an open mind....but closed-minded people are destined to never ever believe that there is any alternative to "their way".

You can lead a horse to water but cant make him drink it.. as they say.. I would let them do their own thing, either way, I dont see that any of those examples would cause any harm to their vehicles, besides their opinions being not logical.

And some people think it's irresponsible to not change the filter along with the oil...

We all have our ways of doing things and we all use the products we like, whether that's motor oil, filters, tires, computers, or, oh I don't know, sights for our Glock...
cheers3.gif

Nod your head in approval and let it go. Heard a couple of whoppers a month or so ago and did just that. No sense of arguing with a mindset that is thirty years out of date. Just let it go. It's not hurting anything, and if it does, it's a lesson learned.
s

Originally Posted By: knoas

thanks

confused.gif

You're right.

There is this,

"In general, it is better to be safe and stay completely away from bolding words. However, if you do choose to bold words do it emphasize an important word or sentence instead of using it to add emotional effect."

Obviously BOO's keyboard works because he turns it on and off. nevermind

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back