Does a Pioneer AVH-1450DVD need a security code?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a used car last year with this aftermarket Pioneer radio model already installed with a backup camera too. I'm planning to store the car for 2-3 months and would like to disconnect the battery cable to prevent discharging the battery. Does anyone know if a security code is needed when I power her up again? I nave looked at online manuals and this does not seem to be so. Still, anybody know anything with this radio model? BTW, the Pioneer AVH-2450DVD is a very similar model, says the internet.

One more thing, I measured the battery drain with my VOM with everything turned off, and it's 172 milliamperes. Quite high, I think, as that's about 4 Ampere-hours a day. But I've never had any problem with the car in the past 13 months of ownership. Always started quickly even after a few days of non-use.There's an anti theft alarm installed and this plus the radio could be why the current drain's elevated.

Last edited:
I can't help you with the security code question, but 172mA does seem a little high.

I'm curious, how long did you wait with the meter connected? It's possible there were still some systems active while you were measuring. I would insert the meter in line, then close and lock the doors, then wait a few minutes to see if the current drops. I would think that the drain should be a fraction of your measurement, or the car would be dead if not driven for a week, even with the car alarm.

Many cars have cycles they go through even with the key off and locked. I would wait at least five minutes after you have hooked up the amp meter to take a reading. When you initially hook it up, you break the connection. When you re-make that connection you have to re-charge capacitors, and perhaps let the computer run some tests, etc. Run the test again...just wait longer and see what happens.

Hook up your VOM meter, be sure to close the hood and run the leads out so you can see the meter (hood open may make the alarm grumpy and may cause more current draw). Close all doors, lock the car and set the alarm. Wait at least five minutes before reading your meter...then report back.

Last edited:
Thanks guy, I appreciate all your comments.

To avoid a possible code needed scenario and also to avoid the inrush of current if I disconnect the circuit, this is how I did it. I applied a VOM test lead to the negative batt cable and the other test lead pressed into the top of the negative battery post. While holding the test leads this way, I had my brother loosen the negative battery cable holding nut and then had him lift the cable clean off the batt post. The power flow is never interrupted and the current now passes through the VOM and into the car. I make the VOM reading and have my brother reattach the cable and tighten the nut. Then I remove the VOM leads. The measurement was taken with the ignition key in my pocket, everything is turned off, hood is up, and all doors closed but not locked.

I don't have an extra parking space in the condo so my car is temporarily at my brother's place and it will be Christmas before I visit it again. I have my 5 amp trickle dumb charger on it now, and my brother is to plug it into the AC socket for an hour once each day. Will keep you guys posted in a month's time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back