Compressor Cycling...nothing on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
2003 Suburban 5.3 .. I noticed the other day that the a/c compressor was cycling on and off. Everything HVAC is off but the compressor was still kicking in and out at idle and while driving.

Its nearing winter here so I just pulled the A/C compressor relay and that stopped the cycling.

I tried messing with the controls to make sense of it.. heat on- floor (still cycles). All OFF- (still cycles). Rear Heat on- (still cycles).

I stopped the cycling by removing the relay- no sense in lesser mpg and wear and tear on the compressor if not needed..

Any thoughts?

It could be just a bad relay, its common enough on these to fail. Its more common for them to fail when On but its the cheapest thing to try and eliminate.

Last edited:
In the older systems, which your truck may be old enough to have, the control panel grounds one wire to request the A/C come on -- so it could be a bad control panel or that wire is shorted to ground.

could a Door sensor to defrost position be stuck? Just throwing out moronic ideas.

A short or something schtuck that would call for compressor-ON makes sense.

I assume its the same as my 06, where "auto" or just turning on the HVAC turns on the A/C and you get the illuminated snowflake.. and you have the option to turn the AC off. What happens when you try to disable AC from the dash? I was reading somewhere that panel can go awry.

Go to the Chevy truck forum and see what is going on and if there is any solutions.

It is an older truck so if there is solutions, it should be there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back