First Licensing Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Check out the API list for CK-4 and FA-4 Engine Oils from the API:

EOLCS Link

Congrats to all who put in the hard work to make this upgrade happen!

I am not so happy with CK-4. Ford has come out stated CK-4 is not backward compatible with CJ-4. CJ-4 was accepted by Ford as equivalent to their spec WSS-M2C171-F1. I run a lot of Ford diesels and this has just made servicing these vehicles way more complicated - overnight.

Ford Motor Company CK-4/FA-4 Ford Position Statement
Starting on December 1, 2016 the American Petroleum Institute (API) will begin licensing
two new diesel motor categories CK-4 and FA-4. API CK-4 is being released to replace
CJ-4. FA-4 is a low viscosity diesel oil released for diesel engines designed for a lower
viscosity oil.
API FA-4
Due to its low viscosity FA-4 should not be used in any Ford diesel vehicles at this time.
API CK-4
Ford will not be recommending the use of CK-4 motor oils in any Ford diesel engines,
new or old. Testing Ford has done on some CK-4 formulations have shown inadequate
wear protection compared to CJ-4 formulations developed and licensed before 2016.
Like many other diesel engine manufacturers, with their own internal OEM specification,
Ford will now be recommending oils that meet an OEM specification, Ford Material
Engineering Specification WSS-M2C171-F1. The customer should use an oil showing
that it meets this specification.
An oil showing CJ-4 in the API donut without showing CK-4 would be acceptable for
service even if not showing WSS-M2C171-F1. This oil would most likely be an older CJ-
4 formulation, developed and licensed prior to 2016. These oils could be around for
about a year after CK-4 licensing begins, December 1, 2016. Field experience and Ford
testing has shown that these older CJ-4 formulations provide acceptable 6.7L engine
protection.
To insure you protect your Ford diesel engine use an oil meeting Ford specification
WSS-M2C171-F1 like Motorcraft Super Duty Motor oil.

All I can say about the Ford letter is wait until tomorrow...

...what Ford is doing is no different from what DDC, Cummins or Volvo has done requiring that the oil recommended meets an additional OEM spec.

There are lots of 15W40 CK-4 and CK-4/SN products as well as several 10W30 CK-4 and CK-4/SN from the Majors.

Nice to see PetroCanada, Federated Co-op and Total Canada representing for the Great White North!

Originally Posted By: Solarent
All I can say about the Ford letter is wait until tomorrow...

...what Ford is doing is no different from what DDC, Cummins or Volvo has done requiring that the oil recommended meets an additional OEM spec.

I have to deal with the complexity today, and this new spec is turning into a major cluster fark, at least in my world.

Originally Posted By: Danno
Ford will not be recommending the use of CK-4 motor oils in any Ford diesel engines, new or old.
Not recommending is not the same as not allowed. Ford needs to stop with the weasely words and get with the program. CJ-4 is on the way out and unless Ford is going to give compatible oil away for free, at some point CJ-4 will no longer be available and CK-4 will have to be used. The fact Ford debuted a new specification a few weeks before CK-4 was to hit the market is bologna, especially since Ford was involved throughout the development of the new specification. As an owner of a relatively new 6.7L, I am not so happy with Ford. The oil OEMs have been moving towards CK-4 for years so why does Ford just now voice this concern?

Did Ford diesel owners get letters about the inadequate wear protection of some formulations of CK-4?

Originally Posted By: BigD1
Did Ford diesel owners get letters about the inadequate wear protection of some formulations of CK-4?
Perhaps some, but not all. I have a 2015 F-250 PSD and did not receive one and am still well within the warranty period so I would have expected to receive one.

Has anyone found a link to the actual CK-4 detailed specification yet (the one that defines all the engine tests that need to be passed along with test limits and the physical property limits that need to be met)?

I've tried Googling but nothing seems to be out there...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back