How Do You Convince Them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This post is about some of my family members that can't see the light at the end of the tunnel.
grin.gif

My father, whom owned his own heavy equipment business at one time will not let his OCI's go more than 3K miles. If the current OCI in his 06 Lincoln TC, or, his 99 Chevy Silverado exceed 3K miles, he gets very antsy! He insists that his oil MUST be changed at 3K mile intervals!
His 06 LTC's OCI before the current one was changed with Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W20 that was given to him by one of my cousins. Well, at 3K miles, he had that changed using his regular conventional oil he has been using for awhile, Havoline 5W20. He says that an OLM light stays on all of the time now and blames the PUP, stating that it ruined his engine. The engine runs smooth as silk.
Then, I have a cousin that owns a 2015 Silverado. It holds 8 qts. of oil, correct? Well, he changes his oil and filter with M1 5W30 and a OCOD oil filter, every 3-5K miles! I have tried to talk him into at LEAST let it go 8K miles until I am blue in the face! NO GEAUX! SMH! Oh, he ONLY uses FRAM OCOD filters because he said John Force and Don Garlits uses them!
shocked.gif

And finally, I have the cousin that will only use PYB every 5K miles, which is ok. Well, he's convinced that if he uses ANY other oil besides PYB, his engines will stop running! Seriously, he actually thinks any other oil in his engines will make them throw a rod, seize up, overheat and blow a head gasket (there are more reasons he's told me.....) etc.! I just recently bought some BOGO Castrol 5W30, and offered it to him. He was insulted and started his "engine blowing up" rant. SMH!
So, would you try to keep making suggestions to them, or, just leave them alone in their own little worlds?
grin.gif

Why bother? None of them are going to hurt anything. Piece of mind is worth more than many think.

I just did an oil change on my car because I was bored. The Castrol 0W-40 was only in the sump for 5 months/2000 miles. The horror!!!

You don't. I don't talk with anyone about oil or my oil decisions. That's just as bad as talking religion / politics. Maybe worse!

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I don't bother anymore. It makes my life so much better.

Great advice! Thanks!
thumbsup2.gif
34.gif

Anytime you friend! As I get older I find I take the path of least resistance, although I do enjoy a good fight every once in a while. You just have to learn when to fight, and who. lol

Just let them be. Sounds like they are stuck in their ways and have been for a long time.

Old habits die hard...
Engineering Explained uploaded a video of how to change the oil in a Honda S2000, he is sponsored by Pennzoil and used PUP 10W-30 for it.
And ofcourse inevitably there were people saying Pennzoil is garbage and it will sludge your engine or even sieze it up.

I don't try to convince anyone of anything. That way no one can come back and say, Well you said.

I agree with everyone above. Life is too short, especially when the used oil returns to a huge tank at the auto-parts store to be recycled.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I don't bother anymore. It makes my life so much better.

+ 14 million

Unless asked I don't bother giving my opinion or helping others

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
So, would you try to keep making suggestions to them, or, just leave them alone in their own little worlds?[/b]
grin.gif

Simple. Mind your own business when it comes to family members and their choices for oil changes and oil filters. Problem solved, and you can free up your time to obsess and gripe about something more important.

I was in walmart last week and an older lady in her 70s was in the sporting goods department asking for non detergent gravely oil.

I sat back and watched as the counter guy paged the automotive guy. Automotive guy: we dont have gravely oil but we have lawnmower oil. Woman: its a tractor. Guy: I think we have tractor oil. I saw the lady afterward in another part of the store and noticed she did not have any oil in her buggy... so I guess she will probably end up at a gravely dealer.

You referenced the Fram as the OCOD.. So lets see how you convince me that the Fram is the OCOD.

36.gif

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
I was in walmart last week and an older lady in her 70s was in the sporting goods department asking for non detergent gravely oil.

I sat back and watched as the counter guy paged the automotive guy. Automotive guy: we dont have gravely oil but we have lawnmower oil. Woman: its a tractor. Guy: I think we have tractor oil. I saw the lady afterward in another part of the store and noticed she did not have any oil in her buggy... so I guess she will probably end up at a gravely dealer.

You referenced the Fram as the OCOD.. So lets see how you convince me that the Fram is the OCOD.

36.gif

It's been given that name by many members besides me. Would you rather I call it the OCOJUNK?
grin.gif

35.gif

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Would you mind not typing in bold? It's the internet equivalent of shouting.

thanks

You don't have to read it.

Seriously?

If anything, maybe you could walk your father through the process for resetting his OLM. And offer to take their used oil to the parts store if they currently use it to kill weeds.

Your cousin proves that motorsports sponsorship works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back