cartridge Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a lot of discussion on here about cartridge filters. Got a new car yesterday and now both of our cars use cartridge filters. Anything I should be aware of or looking for?

Thanks,
Rod

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
OEM, Hengst, Mahle, or Mann.

My order of preference.

I know for a long while Hengst was making AC-Delco catridge filters. Not sure if it still is or not.

Cartridge filters are fine. My Malibu has been using Delco cartridge with over 170k without any issues

Someone mentioned GM was going to get them somewhere else - so I bought a good supply on Hengst -

Yeah - on my son's Charger - I thought surely they did not make it this handy on purpose
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Bamaro
Generally easier to access and less messy.

I have found this to be true on my GF's Lexus IS250. I didn't bother with the special tool to remove the housing. I just use my oil filter pliers.

Both my XS850G and the Oldsmobile Aurora have/had cartridge filters. I do not like them- they are messy and csot more than spin-on replacements (why? less pieces?!).

Originally Posted By: Bamaro
Generally easier to access and less messy.

Easier to access, yes....less money not really at least not for my Audi. Cartridge filters usually cost over $11 for this car(Mann)

The cartridges for the Lexus (Toyota) are CHEAP. I'd rather the car have a spin-on, though, so I could use microGreen and go to a 30K mile OCI like I've done with my Mazda.

My 07 Fusion takes a cartridge filter. I like them better because of the ability to access the media for inspection much easier than can filters. I use the MC FL 2017 cartridge.

We have 5 cars in our immediate family that use cartridge filter (MB,Volvo,VW) Hengst and Mann always look great when replaced. I have never seen anything resembling tears in any brand I use, but one filter used by several name companies (mine were Pennzoil Platinum) has plastic end caps {Made in USA) After a OCI the filter looks like it got sucked in a bit toward the center tube (correct app for car). This has happened on several cars so it seems it is the filter....Avoid those. I just installed a Fram Ultra on my sons new T6 R Design Volvo. Strange looking filter but hopefully like other Ultras it will do the job. You can find Mann or Hengst sometimes resold by other filter companies who I assume don't sell enough of that model to justify their own production of them. As always open up the box and take a peek. Might save a few dollars. Last but not least OEM..Euro's will usually be Mann or Hengst anyway.

I have 4 GM ecotec engine that takes a cartridge filter. I have used, fram ultra, fram extra guard, Bosch distance plus, Mobil extended performance, Purolator classics, AC delco and a cheap GKI Chinese filter. Had problems with some AC delco and Purolator classic fitlers. The best value seems to be the cheapest GKI Chinese filter.

I really like the cartridge filter being on top of the engine.

The cartridge filters seem to have a lot more filter media than a similar sized spin-on. But often the drain back and over pressure valves are not replaced with an oil filter change.

It's definitely easier to inspect the filter trappings after use though.

I like the cartridge filter a lot. I just changed the oil on my Rubicon a few weeks ago. It is an easy job, you can see what's trapped in the filter, and if it is suitable to use again w/o any guess work. I have a feeling I will be using those filters for 2 OCI's once I cross the 10K mile mark.

the cartridge filter in my car is only to be changed every 22k miles. But I've seen cartridge filters with 3 times as many miles on them. If the oil gets changed regularly they last a long time, but if not they buckle under the pressure differential across the filter.

Our new LR4 utilizes a cart filter right on top of the engine. OEM LR filters are made by Mahle and pricey. $20-30 thru dealer. Can be found on amazon for $18. While pricey, no mess. No need to get under the vehicle anymore with the vaccum oil evacuation method thru the oil fill cap. Nice setup.

If you buy Fram TG at Walmart for an Ecotec motor, it will be Chinese. Wouldn't bother me if I knew the filter material was of good quality. It does have a tapered inner core that allows good oil flow, whereas the Fram Ultra does not, having an inner core of the same diameter all the way through with openings for oil to flow through in only part of the core. For these reasons I went with Hengst and bought 6 at one time.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Someone mentioned GM was going to get them somewhere else - so I bought a good supply on Hengst -

Back in April when I was shopping for filters for my Slingshot, AC Delco PF457G were made by Hengst USA and someone in Bulgaria. The Bulgarian inner core was much like the Fram Ultra with slots in only part of the core.

Does anyone know for sure whether Hengst still makes them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back