What coolant to use on a low Subaru?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just discovered that my 2003 Subaru Legacy's coolant is low. I have no idea when it was last changed or what brand of coolant is in it. I am planning on changing it very soon but what should I use to fill it in the short term?

The manual says to refill it with coolant but I inherited it from my Dad and he did a lot of stuff himself and I don't know if it's got Prestone in it or if he had it serviced at the dealer and it has Subaru coolant in it.

Last edited:
Subarus are the finicky car for their own coolant. Just add Subaru coolant or add plain water and jump on the coolant refreshment job fast and use Subaru stuff.

Keep an eye on the coolant level a lot of those Subie engines have head gasket issues..
If there are no leaks and everything checks out change the coolant with the correct subaru coolant if you dont know if it was ever changed

if u get underneath it you can see coolant weeping from the head gaskets (if its a head gasket issue). This is a more than common problem with the EJ25. I have owned 3 of them.

You need to get a pressure tester (free at autozone etc) or have it done.

I hope its something less minor for you..but it didnt just evaporate..its going somewhere.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Subarus are the finicky car for their own coolant. Just add Subaru coolant or add plain water and jump on the coolant refreshment job fast and use Subaru stuff.

Never heard that before...where u get that info?

I know subaru made the adding of Radweld (subaru coolant conditioner) mandatory after they figured out that they used inferior head gaskets.

Id just add a tiny bit of distilled water to top up, if you're truly going to be doing it soon. Just make sure you don't bring the freeze point too high for your area.

There are two different coolants on Amazon for a Subaru.

As others have said, add a little distilled water for now.

Zerex Asian coolant is listed for use in a Subaru. According to the PI sheet.

Subaru Long Life Coolant or Subaru Super Coolant. Don't think it really matters. The super coolant is the blue fluid in late model Subaru's. The other one is green for older models prior to 2008 or 2009.

You can safely use Peak Global Lifetime in the Subaru. I researched this extensively two years ago when I did my timing belt & water pump. It's a silicate and phosphate free OAT coolant that's fine to use.

Originally Posted By: 6starprez
Subaru Long Life Coolant or Subaru Super Coolant. Don't think it really matters. The super coolant is the blue fluid in late model Subaru's. The other one is green for older models prior to 2008 or 2009.

Originally Posted By: theKman
You can safely use Peak Global Lifetime in the Subaru. I researched this extensively two years ago when I did my timing belt & water pump. It's a silicate and phosphate free OAT coolant that's fine to use.

Either of these options. The PGL is $16 at napa, but you will most likely have to order it.

Originally Posted By: 05LGTLtd

Either of these options. The PGL is $16 at napa, but you will most likely have to order it.

I know it sounds odd, but I've actually purchased this at Walgreens, and a quick check of their website shows it in stock at the three nearest locations to me (and to the OP, for that matter).

Originally Posted By: theKman
Originally Posted By: 05LGTLtd

I know it sounds odd, but I've actually purchased this at Walgreens, and a quick check of their website shows it in stock at the three nearest locations to me (and to the OP, for that matter).

Pretty sure LGTL referring to the PGL full strength(concentrate) which some Napas do stock. Walgreens and some other places stock and sell the 50/50 premix. The full strength makes doing a complete exchange after a system flush easier. Either one though would be a good option for the OP's vehicle.

Originally Posted By: 6starprez

The older LL green comes as a concentrate but is a shorter service interval PHOAT, the newer 'Super' blue comes as a premix but is a longer service interval AF. They are compatible but to get the longer interval all the old would need to come out, and new in. Likely easiest way to go blue 'Super', is do some radiator d&f's on a shorter service interval. Gradually it will all be the blue Super.

And if one isn't concerned about matching AF color/tint, WM now sells Valvoline Asian Vehicle AF. Same as Zerex Asian Formula AF, but currently if ordered online for store pick up, ~$4/gal less than ZAF.

All that said, would keep in mind the head gasket check notations mentioned previously.

I got under the car and looked and don't see any weeping at the head gaskets. The car has been parked in a garage and mot driven for extended periods of time for the last 3.5 + years. It's only been driven about 1100 miles in that time. Before that it was serviced at the Subaru dealer with no issues.

If the coolant looks like a yellow-green or a fluorescent green, stick to a Dex-Clone or conventional green. If it's a dark green or a bluish-green, use either Subaru coolant formula or Zerex Asian Formula blue.

I am thinking of doing a complete flush and fill instead of the standard drain and fill that the Subaru dealer and shops would do and using the Peak Global instead of the green Subaru long life coolant. I just took the car into the dealer for the Takata air bag recall check and they saw no head gasket issues. When I asked, the dealer did not recommend switching the car to the blue Subaru extended life coolant. Would anyone here know why they would recommend against that? They are also not recommending the Subaru Coolant Conditioner so should it it be fine to not use it?

Originally Posted By: Garyd
When I asked, the dealer did not recommend switching the car to the blue Subaru extended life coolant. Would anyone here know why they would recommend against that? They are also not recommending the Subaru Coolant Conditioner so should it it be fine to not use it?

The newer Asian SLLCs don't have enough or any triazole to protect copper/solder, the Japanese were the first to eliminate copper from their cooling systems. I'd still use the coolant conditioner, it's cheap insurance.

...When I asked, the dealer did not recommend switching the car to the blue Subaru extended life coolant. Would anyone here know why they would recommend against that?

No idea other than the fact that it came with the shorter interval green PHOAT and he's afraid to recommend anything other than what it came with. 'If' true that would also make it unique as compared to Honda and Toyota both of which newer PHOAT AFs are compatible with or can be used in place of the shorter interval PHOAT previously used.

The only thing to keep in mind is that to get the longer service interval life of the blue you must get all the old green out first.

Don't take my word for it google Subaru Blue or Green coolant, then read some of the entries. I picked the most relevant and authoritative one I found and linked it below.

I also think Peak Global Lifetime would be a good choice especially if you find the concentrate to use with a complete flush. I doubt though that you would find a Subaru dealer to do it using PGL, but you could ask.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2457682

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
...When I asked, the dealer did not recommend switching the car to the blue Subaru extended life coolant. Would anyone here know why they would recommend against that?

No idea other than the fact that it came with the shorter interval green PHOAT and he's afraid to recommend anything other than what it came with. 'If' true that would also make it unique as compared to Honda and Toyota both of which newer PHOAT AFs are compatible with or can be used in place of the shorter interval PHOAT previously used.

The only thing to keep in mind is that to get the longer service interval life of the blue you must get all the old green out first.

Don't take my word for it google Subaru Blue or Green coolant, then read some of the entries. I picked the most relevant and authoritative one I found and linked it below.

I also think Peak Global Lifetime would be a good choice especially if you find the concentrate to use with a complete flush. I doubt though that you would find a Subaru dealer to do it using PGL, but you could ask.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2457682

I am going to do the flush and change myself, I just asked the dealer service about switching to the blue since I was there for the recall. None of the Subaru dealers in my area even do the flush. They only do what is called a forced drain and fill. I am leaning toward going with the Peak Global. The NAPA by me has the concentrate in stock. Still debating whether to add the conditioner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back