2001 Supercharged Frontier... 276,000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is one of my Parents vehicles. It was bought new in 01. Truck has been very reliable. Engine, and Trans are original. Even the Starter, and Alternator are original.

The original transmission doesn't slip, and shifts fine, but it recently stated having a short hesitation to go into drive if it sits over night. Maybe a 3 second or so delay. It has had frequent trans drain, and fills all of it's life. Just to try, and eliminate some of the possibilities, I changed the fluid, and the filter screen for the first time last week. No change in it's behavior.

I've never been big into using additives, but I'm considering trying some Lucas Transmission fix. From what I've been told, the seals in the trans are worn, and it causes incorrect line pressure which causes the delay of going into drive.

Any thoughts about Lucas? Thanks!

35.gif

Probably the torque convertor is draining out over night. Talk to some one with experience with that trans.

I would (and have) tried Lubegard Red; it is more highly regarded on this site than that Lucas product.

Have you posted @ a Nissan forum?

Last edited:
I'd try a Lubegard product first, if anything at all. Not sure off the top of my head which would be the most appropriate for that Frontier, but probably any are safer than dumping Lucas in.

I would not use Lucas to try to fix a 3 second morning hesitation on an AT with a quarter million miles on it. I would use Lucas when it has a drivability issue that is severe and will ultimately be terminal regardless. Lucas is the last resort to get a little more life out of it, not a fountain of youth.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
I'd try a Lubegard product first, if anything at all. Not sure off the top of my head which would be the most appropriate for that Frontier, but probably any are safer than dumping Lucas in.

I would not use Lucas to try to fix a 3 second morning hesitation on an AT with a quarter million miles on it. I would use Lucas when it has a drivability issue that is severe and will ultimately be terminal regardless. Lucas is the last resort to get a little more life out of it, not a fountain of youth.

Good point. The truck drives very well otherwise. My younger sister drives it now. That's what's scary! I have to remind her to let it warm up for a couple of minutes before going anywhere.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Why does it need to warm up for a couple minutes?

Because it lessens the chance of the delay for drive to engage.

I'm not familiar with Nissan AT's but in the GM 4L60E it uses a TC anti-bleed lockup solenoid so the TC does not drain out overnight. Other members mentioned TC drainout and if the Nissan does use a anti-bleed lockup solenoid it would be one area I'd look at.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back