Toyota vs VW - World's Largest Automaker Title

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
So much for dieselgate slowing VW down.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/bertelschmit...e/#45a9bdde2900

With only two laps to go in the race for the title of World’s Largest Automaker, Volkswagen squeezed ahead of Toyota by just 9,000 units in year-to-date deliveries, data released by the companies show. Separated by a rounding error, the two global auto giants are in a neck-on-neck battle that promises to be thrilling through the last round.

Both automakers produced nearly 8.5 million units in the January through October period, and are set to pass the 10 million mark before the year ends. Volkswagen, up 2.6% year-on-year, looks livelier than Toyota, which increased its output by a scant 0.5% compared to the same period of last year.

In total, Volkswagen’s global customers appear to shrug off the dieselgate scandal. Picking up speed in the final sprint, worldwide deliveries by the Volkswagen Group grew 4.7 percent in October, powered by a 11.3% surge in VW’s main market China, and a stampede to beat the expiration of a Chinese tax cut on purchases of vehicles with smaller engines. 35% of Volkswagen’s global deliveries were made in China this year, exposing the company to big headaches during the hangover that usually follows after sales went high due to state-administered amphetamines. Toyota is less exposed to China, and it is down 3% YTD in its all-important U.S. market.

Officially, automakers tend to discount the importance of who’s on top, claiming that happy customers are all they strive for. Even Volkswagen, which during the reign of former CEO Martin Winterkorn aggressively pursued the goal of becoming the world’s largest OEM, recently begun to say that there are nobler objectives. Of course, this is hardly the full truth. Scale, and the ability to turn huge up-front investments into profits, is one of the most important words in this business. Scale at all costs however can get expensive, as Volkswagen’s example shows. Fearing a global downturn in this cyclical business, Toyota for many years has been skittish about investments into new plants, focusing more on wringing more efficiency from what it has, “while focusing on achieving sustainable growth within our capabilities,” as Toyota spokesperson Ryo Sakai told me in Tokyo.

VW must have been well ahead before the TDI thing. I've seen maybe 1 or 2 brand new VWs this year. As opposed to hundreds or thousands of other brands like GM or Toyota.

Toy and vw sell a lot of little [removed] boxes. GM sells a lot of suburbans tahoes and pickups. I wonder what the dollars are like.

I feel like USA is number 1.

Last edited by a moderator:
These are worldwide sales statistics. Volkswagen is NOT a major entity in the United States. In fact, I believe their market share is under 2% here. They sell a heck of a lot of vehicles in other places obviously.

Toyota, on the other hand, has a huge presence in North America and therefore derives many of their numbers here.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
Toy and vw sell a lot of little [removed] boxes. GM sells a lot of suburbans tahoes and pickups. I wonder what the dollars are like.

I think Toyota sells more Hilux worldwide than anything not F-Series. Not 100% sure if Silverado beats it.

Originally Posted By: FowVay
These are worldwide sales statistics. Volkswagen is NOT a major entity in the United States. In fact, I believe their market share is under 2% here. They sell a heck of a lot of vehicles in other places obviously.

Toyota, on the other hand, has a huge presence in North America and therefore derives many of their numbers here.
+1 I "feel like" that.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
ISIS tough ...

That is why Toyota never markets trucks, why bother? It is always on CNN
smile.gif

When you have truck that can withstand recoil of GS-23 gun (i have experience with that AA gun) then you know that is some serious m....f.....g truck!

Originally Posted By: turtlevette

Yeah, in USA. Who else is buying Suburban? World would not know of it if not for movies and embassies. Some Mid East countries do, but that is about it.

The VW diesel thing was only in the US, the rest of the world doesn't have those rules and doesn't care. Here Toyota sell 10 times more vehicles than VW, VW sells about the same amount as Honda.

Originally Posted By: Silk
The VW diesel thing was only in the US, the rest of the world doesn't have those rules and doesn't care. Here Toyota sell 10 times more vehicles than VW, VW sells about the same amount as Honda.

It is not that simple. US has NoX stricter, while EU has CO2 levels stricter (CO2 are actually global warming problem, and diesel was looked as intermediate solution for that since diesels produce less CO2). Actually, new EU6 norms are equal if not more stringent then US in NoX levels.
There is a reason for that, same one in the U.S. for CO2.
In EU 70% of cars are diesels, and diesels because of very small consumption create more NoX. EU had to allow more flexibility on NoX in order ot to create economic problem. In the U.S. because of cheap gas there was never incentive going for solutions that are common in Europe when it comes to gasoline engines, so a lot of engines had issues meeting CO2 levels EU demands. U.S. had to be more flexible therein order not to wreck havoc on the U.S. car industry.
What happened with VW is that VW got into bit of a pickle with choice of injection technology. When FIAT in 1997 introduced common rail and BMW in 1998, VW moved to pumpe duse system. PD system generates more power, it is very explosive to drive, but more complicated, rougher and above everything in 2000's VW figured they would have real problem meeting Euro 5 norms with PD. They made a move to CR system, but they kind of fell into average group, while they were leader before. What they decided was to generate more power by cheating until they figure out. New EA288 engine has DEF system (cannot meet Euro 6 without DEF, same like in the U.S). The one that is a problem is EA188.
Long story short, they cheated in Europe too, and they are recalling their vehicles there too.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Yeah, in USA. Who else is buying Suburban? World would not know of it if not for movies and embassies. Some Mid East countries do, but that is about it.

Tahoe/Yukon is sold by the boatload in the Mid East. Suburbans (or Yukon XL) are not as popular as they once were with private individuals, but governments love them and for good reason. I'm sold on them for when I buy my next new car.

Having driven them and Crown Vics over the years in Europe, people look at you like you're from Mars. Not uncommon for cameras to come out at traffic lights.

VW manages this with about nearly double the employees.....

VW is irrelevant in the United States and ensure that with recent press due to lies and deceit.

What this tells me is that all these people buying Toyotas are the smartest people of the bunch and are clearly buying a superior product. All these people cannot be wrong after all.
All the people buying VWs are clearly a dumb bunch, clearly swayed by advertising and cheapened products and don't even know they are buying an inferior product. All these people are obviously wrong.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
What this tells me is that all these people buying Toyotas are the smartest people of the bunch and are clearly buying a superior product. All these people cannot be wrong after all.
All the people buying VWs are clearly a dumb bunch, clearly swayed by advertising and cheapened products and don't even know they are buying an inferior product. All these people are obviously wrong.
grin2.gif

oh.
my long lost BITOG evil twin....
where have you been?

(Thanks for the LOLOLOLOOOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL)

Last edited:
VW's core market is Europe and China - Brazil and Mexico are big markets for them as well, seeing how VW has plants in both countries. GM also sells a lot in China and Korea(Holdens are soon to be built by GMK as well) - a Buick, even the Chinese-only minivan they sell there is a status symbol. Toyota is mostly US-focused, their stakes in Uber and Getaround reflect that, but Southeast Asia/East Asia, Australia, Central and South America (except for Brazil) are important markets for them - Toyota moves a lot of Hiluxes and Land Cruisers, the UN is also fond of the Land Cruiser.

The Chinese don't like to buy Japanese goods, after what happened to them in WWII.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back