OPINION: Free tire rotation w/ a paid service

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm of the opinion that tire rotations should be free IF the car's already on the lift getting a paid service done, e.g., oil change, brakes, and etc. If you walk in off the street for just a tire rotation, then of course you have to pay the regular fee. I get flyers in the mail from shops advertising free rotations w/oil changes, but never from dealerships. My local Honda dealer charges $29 and it doesn't matter if you're getting another service done. I think this is pretty ridiculous; car's already lifted, tech has an air gun at his side to do the job quickly, so why charge for this? Heck, for $29, I'd expect them to balance the wheels as well. But then again, these are the same people that charge $100 for a cabin air filter that takes 2 min to swap from behind the glove box.

End rant.

The local Ford dealer I use offers free rotations with an oil change. Had one done about two months ago on our F150.

Many Ford dealers offer "The Works" packages that include rotation and oil/filter change. Price around here varies from $30 to $37 or so.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
I'm of the opinion that tire rotations should be free IF the car's already on the lift getting a paid service done, e.g., oil change, brakes, and etc. If you walk in off the street for just a tire rotation, then of course you have to pay the regular fee. I get flyers in the mail from shops advertising free rotations w/oil changes, but never from dealerships. My local Honda dealer charges $29 and it doesn't matter if you're getting another service done. I think this is pretty ridiculous; car's already lifted, tech has an air gun at his side to do the job quickly, so why charge for this? Heck, for $29, I'd expect them to balance the wheels as well. But then again, these are the same people that charge $100 for a cabin air filter that takes 2 min to swap from behind the glove box.

End rant.

How do you think they pay for those multi-million dollar show rooms? You can either pay for the service or do-it-yourself.

Nothing to really rant about here-profit is not a dirty word.

Last edited:
If I could get someone to rotate my tires the way I do it, I'd pay them. Most places are wham, bam , thank you ma'am and that's it. I inspect the tires, clean the mating surface on both the wheel and hub, apply a small amount grease to the hub centric area, clean the lug threads with a wire brush, wipe with an oily cloth, do the same on the chamfered area of the lug nuts, then 2 stage torque the lug nuts.
Takes a while to do it but I see it as therapy.

Tires I just purchased with install package of $16 each includes tire rotate and balance for life of tires.
Shop is still having to pay for time and possible injury of employee but some take that to an extreme. I think Sams Club charges $3 per wheel

Originally Posted By: double vanos
If I could get someone to rotate my tires the way I do it, I'd pay them. Most places are wham, bam , thank you ma'am and that's it. I inspect the tires, clean the mating surface on both the wheel and hub, apply a small amount grease to the hub centric area, clean the lug threads with a wire brush, wipe with an oily cloth, do the same on the chamfered area of the lug nuts, then 2 stage torque the lug nuts.
Takes a while to do it but I see it as therapy.

Probably the main reason I do my own oil changes, I know it will be done right, with what I want put in.

Most tire stores and even some new car dealers will give you free rotations on tires that you purchase at their store for the life of the tires. There is a tire store chain in the Atlanta area (Kauffman) that will do a free rotation for anyone who drives in. No purchase needed.

This just seems like the discussion of book rate vs real labor rate?
If they get the job(s) done for the price quoted, do you really need to know how they did it?

If you want to take the benefits of going by real time; are you also willing to take the risk if they go over book rate?

Say they do the rotations but are out of your oil filter so can't do the oil change right now. If they put the car up to do the rotations, then take it down and put it up again to do the oil change, are you willing to pay 2x some of the time, since they couldn't get the efficiency?

I never rotate tires. When they wear out I replace them.
I don't like the wear and tear rotating tires creates on my vehicles and if you have to pay for it, then its false economy. Shops have high overhead so I have no issues with them charging.
I just avoid services like that and I get great life out of my tires.

Nah.

If I just bought a new car, I'd do all the stuff myself even if it's "free" at the dealer. Loafing in their lobby for who knows how long while some grease monkey rounds your drain plug isn't exactly my idea of "free."

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Nah.

If I just bought a new car, I'd do all the stuff myself even if it's "free" at the dealer. Loafing in their lobby for who knows how long while some grease monkey rounds your drain plug isn't exactly my idea of "free."

Or forgets to put the oil in. My sports car with high buck service was a victim:(

I usually charge around $30 by itself, and $10 if I'm doing anything else especially if it involves taking the wheels off (brakes, etc.) I'd rather the occasional customer that knows something not be disatisfied when they get charged for me to just put a tire that was already off back on a different hub.

Bought new Yokohama tires for my Honda from Honda and rotation is free always. Also got a year nail replacement on any tire. Only charge 16.00 to change my oil too but I bring 4 qts Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w20 and a Fram Ultra. Even got Nitrogen for free if I bought tires from them.So far I have been happy with dealership.

Originally Posted By: bioburner
Tires I just purchased with install package of $16 each includes tire rotate and balance for life of tires.
Shop is still having to pay for time and possible injury of employee but some take that to an extreme. I think Sams Club charges $3 per wheel

I think BJ's is around $3 a tire. Lifetime balance/rotation is pretty standard from most tire dealers.

They do it so they can upsell work on brakes and other stuff in there. The tech won't be paid much to do just the rotation.

I think there's a clumsiness to automotive service billing.

They "should" offer graduated packages of maintenance services which build upon the previous services.

"Everything in package "A" plus:.....

Mechanics aren't known for communications.

Originally Posted By: mclasser

End rant.

The good news is you can go wherever you like for service, or do it yourself. Or, take on the financial risk and start your own car service center which offers service the way you would like it to be.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
I never rotate tires. When they wear out I replace them.
I don't like the wear and tear rotating tires creates on my vehicles and if you have to pay for it, then its false economy. Shops have high overhead so I have no issues with them charging.
I just avoid services like that and I get great life out of my tires.

I concur. Waste of time and money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back