Whats your favorite VPN?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like its time to take home PC security to the next level, with all the new and varied threats now a days. Looking at VPN's and it seems like the choices are as broad as the ocean. Narrowed it down to a couple, and I'm liking the looks of Windscribe in particular but I'd love to hear from those who have been using a VPN on their personal machines for some time.

i've been using the TOR browser. and i also use Linux.
Linux really is and easy to use operating system.
you could use a good VPN and TOR for even more security and anonymity.

I am using ExpressVPN and I am currently in China using it. My needs are to get through the great firewall of China and this allows me to access Google, Gmail, Amazon Prime, etc. They have a router security product that I have not yet explored.

Originally Posted By: Killer223

TOR will not protect you. It's almost worthless.

Hahahaha the average age of users on here really shows in this thread.

NordVPN has great security but can have speed problems, and it's only getting more popular and overloaded.

Reminder that you need a WebRTC blocker plugin for your VPN to be at all effective...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KingCake

Oh, boy.

TOR is **far** from being "almost worthless" (while, like everything else, is also far from perfect) unless we are defining such things based on speed. It is super easy to find a few instances of hyperbole and zoom in on them and define the entire technology by them; but TOR is an excellent way to become and remain anonymous; especially if you really miss the days of dial-up modem speeds.

I think it is very important for everyone to understand what threats TOR, VPN and locally-installed anti-malware software protect you from. A computer user should assess what threats are posed to them and use the appropriate technology. I do not believe any of us here really need to use TOR; but for those who do it is indispensable. Most people I know who use a VPN do so to circumvent various site's geographical restrictions... Everyone I know who has been the victim of some type of cyber-attack has been compromised by something that found itself **on their systems**.

There are some browser extensions - HTTPS Everywhere comes to mind - that seek to use encryption wherever and whenever possible between you and a site you're visiting. Those are very helpful and are no-cost. Understand, too, that a VPN will not usually shield you from sites that are tracking you with cookies: If you use a VPN to visit Facebook, then visit another site that uses Facebook's API to facilitate article comments, Facebook and the site using their API still know who you are and where you are visiting. I am also pretty sure that every session on the VPN still binds you to a specific IP address for that session; and your browser still reports itself and avails more information than you think simply in order to render pages properly.

Here is some good reading: https://www.goldenfrog.com/blog/myths-about-vpn-logging-and-anonymity

If my opinion (not to be confused with fact, and not to posture itself as being the best tactic for every individual) counts for anything for anyone reading this, I'll make two points that I think make sense, as of this writing in 2016:

1) You are neither anonymous nor private when online.

2) Taking measures to be anonymous or private online is probably unnecessary to counter the real-world threats facing you as a normal internet user. (People who profit from these measures tend to disagree.) These measures tend also to make using the internet less convenient.

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
Originally Posted By: KingCake

Oh, boy.

TOR is **far** from being "almost worthless" (while, like everything else, is also far from perfect) unless we are defining such things based on speed. It is super easy to find a few instances of hyperbole and zoom in on them and define the entire technology by them; but TOR is an excellent way to become and remain anonymous; especially if you really miss the days of dial-up modem speeds.

I think it is very important for everyone to understand what threats TOR, VPN and locally-installed anti-malware software protect you from. A computer user should assess what threats are posed to them and use the appropriate technology. I do not believe any of us here really need to use TOR; but for those who do it is indispensable. Most people I know who use a VPN do so to circumvent various site's geographical restrictions... Everyone I know who has been the victim of some type of cyber-attack has been compromised by something that found itself **on their systems**.

There are some browser extensions - HTTPS Everywhere comes to mind - that seek to use encryption wherever and whenever possible between you and a site you're visiting. Those are very helpful and are no-cost. Understand, too, that a VPN will not usually shield you from sites that are tracking you with cookies: If you use a VPN to visit Facebook, then visit another site that uses Facebook's API to facilitate article comments, Facebook and the site using their API still know who you are and where you are visiting. I am also pretty sure that every session on the VPN still binds you to a specific IP address for that session; and your browser still reports itself and avails more information than you think simply in order to render pages properly.

Here is some good reading: https://www.goldenfrog.com/blog/myths-about-vpn-logging-and-anonymity

If my opinion (not to be confused with fact, and not to posture itself as being the best tactic for every individual) counts for anything for anyone reading this, I'll make two points that I think make sense, as of this writing in 2016:

1) You are neither anonymous nor private when online.

2) Taking measures to be anonymous or private online is probably unnecessary to counter the real-world threats facing you as a normal internet user. (People who profit from these measures tend to disagree.) These measures tend also to make using the internet less convenient.

TOR is extremely limited in use since you disable javascripts, plugins and other applications that leak your IP. The software on our computers weren't designed to hide our IP address, so doing almost anything other than looking at plain HTML pages puts your computer at risk. So at this point, what is it protecting you from?

Last edited:
Private internet access works pretty well. Only thing is some webpages ban their IP's sometimes and you need to turn it off. Changing your geolocation has some advantages.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
We use AT&T Global Network Client.

My company I am with and up to 450k users use this.

It works but no means a "favorite"

Just keep in mind that VPN is only going to give you a bit more privacy/anonymity, it isn't going to provide you any extra protection against malware or malicious sites. It can only provide security improvements for wifi connections with weak security.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back