Wife's Knee Hurts- Electric Bike?

Status
Not open for further replies.
She doesn't enjoy walking. Loves to ride her bike. Looking for info on electric bicycles. Help...........

Go the whole hog and get her a hydrocarbon bike. Batteries don't last long enough with current technology (look at the electric cars and their range:battery weight ratio.

Maybe a scooter is less scary than a motorcycle. Some 150cc scoots are pretty quick.

I had a super 8 150 several years ago.( it was yellow and blue) easily kept up with traffic, you do need a motorcycle license.

Super150-2.jpg

kymco_super_8_01_b.jpg

Here's a video of one on the street. ( not my video).

Last edited:
What's the cause of the knee pain? Wouldn't it be better to find out the cause and correct it rather than just plopping her on an electric bike? She'll loose all the benefits of actually exercising, not to mention that they look rather silly.

On occasion I have some knee pain, and it's as simple as replacing my insoles with new ones. After a day or two on the new insoles I'm as good as new and back to jogging/walking again.

You can get those little motorized bikes for pretty cheap. They just slap a 50cc motor on some cheap bike and it can go pretty far reasonably fast for having a leafblower motor.

Good friend had major knee issues and riding a horse in team penning, was not helping that being in late 60's was in the mix too.
She went for Gene therapy. She's riding again, alot. Just rode for 5 hours in training and the knees weren't what was hurting at the end of the day.
They have come a long way in solving knee and hip issues.

OP is talking about an electric bicycle and he's offered 150cc street race scooters and gene therapy...?

Maybe find the cause of the pain first as suggested then go from there. Could be shoes, bad bike fit, etc. E-bikes are huge now with all sorts of mutations. From pedal-assist that just help you up hills to full-on twist and go fast. Good ones aren't cheap.

Originally Posted By: totegoat
She doesn't enjoy walking. Loves to ride her bike. Looking for info on electric bicycles. Help...........

Are you bicycle "handy" even in the slightest? If you have a bike or can get a decent new or used bike, this is a real value compared to an already full up e-bike:

Sick Bike Parts Electric Kits

There are a large number of choices in the electric bicycle world, many "fly by night" companies. Some are truly excellent, some are awful.

I've ridden quite a few, as I had intended on building my own design (again, due to knee problems) . A 500 watt motor is a bare minimum IMHO, as that's enough to climb hills and accelerate with more than a trickle of increase. What I quickly discovered is that sitting on a bicycle, and operating it like a motorcycle is very uncomfortable. It's not like riding, where you are always active and pressing on the pedals, and constantly unweighting one's behind, allowing for good bloodflow.

I typically ride between 14 and 17MPH on my bicycle, but on a powered bike, that seems too slow. So I tend to go quite a bit faster when on an electric.

So, I tend to like Mountain Bike type electric bikes, with the feel of a dirt bike and some suspension to cushion the "faster" ride.

I would tend to like something like this:
Haibike_XDURO_FS_Pro.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: spasm3
Maybe a scooter is less scary than a motorcycle. Some 150cc scoots are pretty quick.

I had a super 8 150 several years ago.( it was yellow and blue) easily kept up with traffic, you do need a motorcycle license.

Super150-2.jpg

kymco_super_8_01_b.jpg

Here's a video of one on the street. ( not my video).

Does the model come with the bike?

Bought her a Pedego today. Waiting for delivery in a few days.

Rode a TREC pedal assist bike today. Nice bike but no throttle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back