DELO XLE play (PP contrast)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This started it all...
And now I wanted to see how the DELO 400 XLE would compare. I know that the KV 100 is 10.3 vs 11.6 + the HTHS is far superior, so it is expected to be a bit thicker. Heck the PP is closer to it's 5w30 counterpart (even with lower MRV) than it is to DELO.

PQIA analysis for refence

PDS

Still, it's fun to play with petroleum products.
Oh and the VI is only 4 pts lower than PP, does that mean it is on the higher end of the scale and will have a uber high HTHS in contrast?

Last edited by a moderator:
06.gif

I was just thinking someone's wife will see that and oh boy.

Haha, yup the granite got the dawn treatment the moment I dropped the phone
laugh.gif

I ran 10W30 Delvac Elite in place of my usual Delvac Super 1300 15W40 last winter in my Detroit Series 60. It definitely made cold starts noticeably easier.

I just had a pm service done last night, as a matter of fact. It's been getting colder in the mornings, so I switched from Delvac Super 1300 15W40 over to semi-syn 10W30, but the shop was fresh out of bulk Delvac Elite 10W30, I have very little downtime between loads, so I had them put in bulk Delo 400 semi-syn 10W30.

I've never swapped brands in my Semi, so I'll be watching my dipstick closely for any change in consumption. I've used nothing but Delvac oils in it since it was new, and with Delvac, my motor consumes very little oil between pm's. I'm nearing 200,000 mile on the odometer at this time. Fingers crossed Delo 400 performs as solidly.

If the Delo 400 XLE 10W30 shows no increase in consumption, I plan on running it over 2 OCI's, then I'll send in a UOA. Then I'll switch back to Delvac Elite 10W30 for 2 OCI's, and send in a UOA, and compare the numbers between the two brands.

I may just switch over to Delo 400, if it's numbers are as good as what I've seen using Delvac. Finding Delvac at my local Walmart's has been really tough lately. But they always have Delo 400 15W40 on the shelves. The XLE 10W30 is always on the shelves too, and at a very good price. The only place I can find Delvac Elite 10W30 is at Truck Stops, at a disgustingly marked up price. I even inquired with my local Mobil Delvac Distributor, and their price wasn't cheaper.

So, if all goes well using Delo 400 in my motor, over the next few UOA's, I may be changing over to Chevron's HDEOs altogether.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Dak27
I ran 10W30 Delvac Elite in place of my usual Delvac Super 1300 15W40 last winter in my Detroit Series 60. It definitely made cold starts noticeably easier.

I just had a pm service done last night, as a matter of fact. It's been getting colder in the mornings, so I switched from Delvac Super 1300 15W40 over to semi-syn 10W30, but the shop was fresh out of bulk Delvac Elite 10W30, I have very little downtime between loads, so I had them put in bulk Delo 400 semi-syn 10W30.

I've never swapped brands in my Semi, so I'll be watching my dipstick closely for any change in consumption. I've used nothing but Delvac oils in it since it was new, and with Delvac, my motor consumes very little oil between pm's. I'm nearing 200,000 mile on the odometer at this time. Fingers crossed Delo 400 performs as solidly.

If the Delo 400 XLE 10W30 shows no increase in consumption, I plan on running it over 2 OCI's, then I'll send in a UOA. Then I'll switch back to Delvac Elite 10W30 for 2 OCI's, and send in a UOA, and compare the numbers between the two brands.

I may just switch over to Delo 400, if it's numbers are as good as what I've seen using Delvac. Finding Delvac at my local Walmart's has been really tough lately. But they always have Delo 400 15W40 on the shelves. The XLE 10W30 is always on the shelves too, and at a very good price. The only place I can find Delvac Elite 10W30 is at Truck Stops, at a disgustingly marked up price. I even inquired with my local Mobil Delvac Distributor, and their price wasn't cheaper.

So, if all goes well using Delo 400 in my motor, over the next few UOA's, I may be changing over to Chevron's HDEOs altogether.

Dak, I would wager a cup of coffee that the XLE does fantastic in your Series 60. XLE does seem to be a little lower viscosity (KV100) than the Elite but it still has to be a minimum 3.5 HTHS which is what Detroit requires, so you're good to go.

The TBN was always lower after 22k -25k mile oci's when using the XLE vs Elite but that may have changed. The emails I've gotten from Chevron say that XLE has been CK-4 ready since September, so maybe it's a little better now. Who knows how long ago that shop (that you used) refilled their bulk tank, though.

Last winter I started my truck unaided at minus twenty-something Fahrenheit after being shut off over twelve hours. With XLE in the sump and four fresh batteries, it was a non-issue. The needle on the oil pressure gauge didn't move for a few seconds but it made a smooth, clean sweep once it did move. I did that two days in a row since I had the safety of a truckstop if it failed to start. I'm not about to try that in the middle of nowhere.
smile.gif

By the time you change your oil again (or maybe the time after), the new formulas should all be on the market. No matter which brand you go with, you're bound to be using something "different", as in a different formulation within the same brand/viscosity of oil.

Thanks for your reply, Dusty! I was actually going to pm both you and Tired Trucker, because I know you both have experience using Delo products in your trucks. I know the only way I can make the decision to switch is running a few UOA's with Delo and Delvac, and compare their numbers. I'm going to buy a few kits, most likely from Napa. I will say Delo's lower TBN has me thinking I should stay with Delvac though.

No worries about the TBN depletion with the Delo products. Unless you plan to really push the envelope in the length of oci's (I think you were running 15K miles per Detroit), there's nothing to be concerned about. In my Volvo's, a 22k-25k mile oci would always leave TBN to spare. With Delo XLE, the TBN would be 1.7 - 2.3 (the more fuel burned, the lower the remaining TBN). When I switched to Delvac Elite, the TBN would be in the range of 3.5 to 4.1 in the same trucks and use.

My favorite oil of all time was Delo 400LE (15W40) because in my little Volvo D11, it quieted the chatter from the gear-train. It did run a bit low in TBN after the usual oci, though. I can recall a couple reports where TBN was down as low as 0.7 to 1.5 after the same use. In the 2000's I ran a couple of Cat's and one of them only ran with Delo from the day it left the Peterbilt factory. I was, and still am a big fan of Delo products. I never used Delvac 1300 15W40 in my Volvo's but that oil is well known for retaining a good TBN.

I wouldn't hesitate to use any of the Delo oils if they are inexpensive and handy. With all the new formulations coming out, maybe wait for things to shake out before you decide. I've known owner/operators that all swear by one brand or another as the ultimate oil because their engines last so long. I say use whichever works best for you in your situation because you can't hardly go wrong.

The UOA's from my Volvo's were very consistent other than a difference in TBN. It didn't matter if I used XLE or Elite, they were all pretty much the same. Oh, and like I said previously, the Elite seems to be a little higher in viscosity compared to XLE.

I'm tired and rambling...if I made no sense, I can try again. Just let me know.
smile.gif

Edit-the really low TBN reports of 0.7 - 1.5 were what I'd call outliers because I was having trouble with injectors/injector cups diluting the oil with fuel. Minus the fuel, Delo 400LE showed TBN of 1.7 - 2.3 just like Delo XLE. I'm assuming that the fuel was probably the difference.

Last edited:
You weren't rambling at all Dusty, great info, and I really appreciate it. Your suggestion to wait to see how each of the Big Three's numbers look like once the labels show they're CK-4 (although undoubtedly they already are by now) is excellent. I hope the PQIA does an analysis of the CK-4 HDEOs in the near future. The new Rotella-T4 is showing up on most truck stops shelves.

That comment about Royal Dutch Shell taking over the shelves is downright annoying - it's getting harder to find anything but that stuff - so I suspect some dumping going on along with the big posters ...

Shell certainly is getting after it on putting their newest labeled oils on the shelves, for sure. Delo has announced on their FB page that their new CK-4 oils will be hitting the shelves on Dec 1st, I haven't seen an announcement yet from Mobil.

Just in case anyone is interested, I was referred to my area's Delo Distributor after a really good conversation I had on the phone with a Chevron Tech about their products. Then, my Local Chevron Distributor really went the extra mile, and then some for me, -without me really asking. They've set me up with a Local Shop to have my pm's done, for a much better price, oil sampling at a much lower cost than Petro/TA offers, with a much more detailed analysis, and they'll sell me Delo products at a better price per gallon than my local Walmart! This will definitely help me to lower my operating costs over time.

So, I'm definitely switching over from Delvac products, which are still incredibly good products in my opinion, to Delo. And so far, so good with the Delo XLE 10W30 in my Detroit motor; my oil level hasn't changed a bit in over 2000 mIles since my last pm, my oil pressure and oil temperature gauges are reading the same as well.

And once I do my first UOA, I'm looking forward for the feedback when I post it here in the UOA Section.

Interesting thread.

I just returned from a local independent distributor with one jug of Rotella T 15W-40, no T4 on their shelves yet, and 3 jugs of Delo 400 XLE 10W-30. I'm going to use the Delo in my wife's oil consuming 2005 Pacifica as it's an SM rated oil. My cost was $29.95 CDN for 5L of Rotella and $56 for 12 qts of Delo, which is $5.67/qt for Rotella and $4.67/qt for Delo. I didn't check how much it would be for a case of Rotella though, but a buck a quart cheaper is nothing to sneeze at, especially compared to our Walmart or Canadian Tire prices.

Congrat Dak27 on having a distributor that really wanted your business. Nice to see.

I am so envious! As I mentioned to Dak in a PM, my Delo distributor is useless. At least they were a couple years ago when I gave up on them.

I have no doubt that the Delo XLE is going to do fine for that Series 60 and there will be a few 15W40's to choose from in the new CK-4 category.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back