Which method to extract HDEO from 5 gallon pails?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious what everyone does.

I only started using 5 gallon oil pails since rebuilding the 5.9 Cummins in my Dodge Ram last fall. I used 2.5 gallon jugs before that.

When doing this fall's oil change with a 5 gallon pail of Rotella T 10W-30 I unscrewed the cap and just poured the oil into a a measuring container directly from the pail. I made sure to wipe the pour area first, and it was a bit messy when I was done. I do know that hand pumps exist specifically for this application. I also have a pour spout that fits on 5 gallon pails of paint but the threads on the oil pail are very shallow so I can't see a paint spout working.

So what to you guys do? Pour directly, hand pump, some type of spout, scoop it out with the wife's soup ladle, something else I'm not aware of?
smile.gif

I just pour into 5L containers with a funnel for measurement purposes, or just pump right out of the pail using a cheap amsoil hand pump if I can't get access to pour even a 5L container properly into the machinery. If your oil storage isn't heated, put the pail inside the night before and it makes the hand pump tolerable.

I pour directly. Usually I eyeball how much is close enough then top the rest off with a 1 gallon jug.

I've rigged up some clear vinyl tube in such a way that I can use my shop vac to provide all the suction for transferring liquids in the garage.

In your case, you might have to sacrifice one of the bucket lids and cut a small hole in the lid to where it gives a tight seal. Take about 6-10ft of large diameter tubing, stick one end in the bucket lid, the other end into the fill tube of the motor, and use the exhaust port of the vacuum to push air into the bucket via the lid hole. You'll need to make an air tight seal where the tube goes into the lid, but as air enters the bucket, it will displace the oil which should travel up the tubing. Should make for a very clean transfer with you only needing to wipe oil off the tube when done.

What farmer said, just use a clean funnel and pour it in, stop about half way. check and top off if needed. simple..

Maybe I wasn't clear in my question. It's not how to get the oil INTO the engine that I was questioning, it's how to get the oil OUT of the pail.

I've got a measuring container with a pour spout like this:

https://www.dynaline.com/item/14045X/Measuring-Container-4-5L/

I've got several different sized funnels I keep clean. I twist the cap off the 5 gallon pail of Rotella, pour it into the above container, pour the excess back into the pail until I get to the volume I want, then use the same measuring container to pour the oil into the engine using the appropriate funnel. No worries here.

My OCD traits start to tingle
smile.gif
at the sloppiness of oil splashing onto the lid and dripping down the side of the pail as I'm pouring into the measuring container. I'm surprised I couldn't find a pour spout for these oil pails like they make for 5 gallon house paint pails like this:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-5-gal-Pouring-Spout-GPS5-HDX/206509237

The best method is probably an oil hand pump like this:

http://www.zeeline.com/gear-lube.html

I'm curious as to what real world 5 gallon pail users are doing. So far, it seems a bit of sloppiness is in order.
08.gif

Cool idea Reddy45 BTW. I don't see buying tool much oil in pails though as the biggest sump I own is the Cummins 5.9. Everything else gets filled by gallon or quart jugs directly.

When you pour it into another container tip the pail with the spout on top or up. You will loose very little using this method. When the pail gets lower you can pour it with the spout on the bottom and you will be able to control it better.

If you really want to be anal put down some rags, towels, cardboard or something of that nature in the area where you are pouring to catch any drips that may occur.

I always did the measuring container, like you mentioned in your original post. In some farm equipment, there was direct pouring into a funnel, but these were applications holding a huge amount of product.

Great idea Fred_Garvin about pouring with the spout up. I'll definitely give it a try. Next time I'm in the US I'll have to pick up a HF pump like the one linked. Thanks MinamiKotaro. It'd be good to a couple of methods.

Garak: I'd love to see the engines you were able to pour into directly from a 5 gallon pail! I bought a yellow version of the measuring container in my link from a local tool supplier that focuses on auto and truck mechanics. It was a bit pricey but made in Canada, and when it's filled with oil I can read the measuring lines with ease. I'm glad I bought it.

Originally Posted By: vitez
Garak: I'd love to see the engines you were able to pour into directly from a 5 gallon pail! I bought a yellow version of the measuring container in my link from a local tool supplier that focuses on auto and truck mechanics. It was a bit pricey but made in Canada, and when it's filled with oil I can read the measuring lines with ease. I'm glad I bought it.

With a couple of the Case and JD tractors, and a sufficiently wide funnel, it wasn't a problem; it was even done at times using a measuring funnel. Also, filling the transmission/gear fluid in a case was best done directly from the 5 gallon pail, given its 100+ litre capacity. If I had to use the measuring container, I'd still be there filling the thing thirty years later.
wink.gif
My dad always hated 5 gallon pails. Neither pumps nor measuring containers nor wrestling with the pail itself was a sufficient compromise for him.

My measuring jug came from Partsource, Peavey Mart, or Princess Auto, I think the first place. By default, it's usually one of those three if I'm not sure.
wink.gif

100 litre capacity?!! Hoisting five 5-gallon buckets would get old real fast. I'm sure the OIC was pretty long with that capacity though. I thought my Cummins with a 12 qt sump was large.
smile.gif

Pail pump as discussed, they click right on and then you can pump it into whatever you wish.

Garak: I feel your pain... kind of.... I come from a family with a farming background. The amount of fluids needed was ridiculous. Thankfully they rarely needed to be changed. I do remember some years ago a few of us were helping a local fellow move an old Massey, possibly a 444 from his unheated shop to his neighbours heated shop to begin the restoration. It was a [censored] fine Sask winter at the time and we could not get the thing to roll. Found out that there was 30 or 40 years of condensation built up and the bull gears were frozen in place below the oil line. Couldnt even drain the oil out. Took a lot of mess and some sliced knuckles to get it rolling again.

No need to pick up a pail pump from the US, Canadian Tire has a good pail pump.
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/manual-pump-action-lever-pump-for-20l-pails-0283027p.html
This pump is a lot easier to use than the puny HF pump linked. You are pushing down on the lever instead of lifting the handle.

I have three of these pumps at work - Engine oil, ATF, Gear oil and have been using them for the last twenty five years, pumping out oil from 5 gallon pails (20l pails, for us Canucks). The only modification I make to these pumps is that I drill new holes in the handle for the pivot to lengthen the stroke so that you are pumping out twice as much with each stroke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back