DirecTV Now (Competitor to Sling)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it could catch on. I am actually an installer of Directv and Dish. Luckily I am retired and doing it part time now. This will be the end of the jobs for installers as time goes on. BUT I am not sure it will actually work out UNLESS at all levels the internet is built up to handle the traffic this will create. You will have so called blazing fast internet but when millions of people are streaming TV that used to be watched on satellite or over the air TV you will notice the fast speeds slowing to a crawl. Video will pixelate, stop, buffer a lot unless we create more carrying capacity for internet signals. Then our internet plans need to be beefed up to allow watching this much TV. Stream a program off internet and then look at what your demand was the next day to watch that. 4 gigs or more. Do that day after day and some carriers will be billing you for going over your plan.

Not saying I am against this. It will happen and it will be cool. Some internet carriers just may not be really ready for it yet. Some carriers like cable companies may be opposed to it because it takes from their own offering of TV services.

Not impressed by this, or Sling for that matter. This is just a "repackage" of cable/sat. You are still paying for channels you don't want or watch. All this could go away by allowing customers to choose only the individual channels they want. There's no technical reason cable/sat providers can't do this, so it's strictly a matter of greed on their part and of the companies that own the networks. For now internet based packages like this are the future, but over time they will get more expensive like cable/sat and we will be going through the whole cord cutting exercise again.

I guess it's inevitable. Instead of cable or satellite TVs lowering their prices to compete with streaming devices, TV over internet will keep raising cost until they equal out.

There is no "one size fits all" streaming package. As a mater of fact-it's a mess. Direct T.V.streaming service has no local stations in most markets. As of today-no cloud based DVR-but that may be coming. And as mentioned no Roku support. Roku being the most popular streaming devices out there.

I am looking to "cut the cord" in Spring. I'm tired of $187.00/month cable/internet/phone bill.

My preliminary testing shows I should get 32 OTA channels via rooftop antenna. Then I'm going with one of the play station VUE packages.

Then of course with all this happening-Comcast (the only viable Internet provider in my area) just came out with a 1TB data limit.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: The Critic
http://www.theverge.com/2016/11/30/13788...ricing-channels

This is a new service that is intended to compete with Sling. At launch, $35/mo will get you their highest package.

Has anyone considered this service?

Sling - $20 a month
Direct TV Now - $60 a month (after the [censored] promotion)

I dont see the savings.

Me?
TV ANTENNA, All major network stations in HD. Better Picture then the dumbed down HD from TWC Cable, Satellite or Streaming HD
Cost = Free

TV Antenna Works EXACTLY like any pay TV service COMPLETE with menu, recording schedules and DVR when you buy a Channel Master DVR+
One time cost $350

Netflex Streaming
Cost $9.
Ruku Player with Hulu plus streaming
Cost $8

Total Monthly Bill - Less then $20 AND STILL HAVE WAY TO MUCH TV that we can watch.

Occasional RED BOX rental = $2.00

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

This is a new service that is intended to compete with Sling. At launch, $35/mo will get you their highest package.

I will consider it once they make it compatible with Roku.

Sling is on RUKU $20 a month. I dont buy into that other promotional pricing stuff like mentioned above. Its either $35 a month or $60 a month, Direct TV needs to make up their mind. I can guess right now what one will be paying :eek:)

Originally Posted By: azjake
Not impressed by this, or Sling for that matter. This is just a "repackage" of cable/sat. You are still paying for channels you don't want or watch. All this could go away by allowing customers to choose only the individual channels they want. There's no technical reason cable/sat providers can't do this, so it's strictly a matter of greed on their part and of the companies that own the networks. For now internet based packages like this are the future, but over time they will get more expensive like cable/sat and we will be going through the whole cord cutting exercise again.

I agree. I want to pick the channels I want and not be forced to buy junk I don't. Nothing has really changed.
ESPN is loosing over 500,000 subscribers a month. Since ESPN has gotten more political even fewer people want to pay their monthly fee.

Originally Posted By: alarmguy

Sling - $20 a month

I dont see the savings.

Me?
TV ANTENNA, All major network stations in HD. Better Picture then the dumbed down HD from TWC Cable, Satellite or Streaming HD
Cost = Free

TV Antenna Works EXACTLY like any pay TV service COMPLETE with menu, recording schedules and DVR when you buy a Channel Master DVR+
One time cost $350

Netflex Streaming
Cost $9.
Cost $8

Total Monthly Bill - Less then $20 AND STILL HAVE WAY TO MUCH TV that we can watch.

What internet service do you use? speed?
(i remember you tweeked a bit for performance)
Thank you

Sling is on RUKU $20 a month. I dont buy into that other promotional pricing stuff like mentioned above. Its either $35 a month or $60 a month, Direct TV needs to make up their mind. I can guess right now what one will be paying :eek:)

The $20 Sling TV (Orange) subscription gets you 30 channels. Now, if you're happy with those 30, that's great. For me, I think the $25 Sling TV (Blue) bundle would work nicely though.

The $35 DirecTV Now subscription gets you 100 channels, including local channels except CBS. But yes, there is no telling how long this $35 special will run. If it jumps up to $60, then it's not very appealing.

The somewhat limiting factor in my current location is internet speed. I can't get anything higher than 18 Mbps. It works fine for a single HD stream, but running multiple HD streams is going to clog up the link.

BTW, it's Roku, not Ruku.
smile.gif

The $20 Sling TV (Orange) subscription gets you 30 channels. Now, if you're happy with those 30, that's great. For me, I think the $25 Sling TV (Blue) bundle would work nicely though.

The $35 DirecTV Now subscription gets you 100 channels, including local channels except CBS. But yes, there is no telling how long this $35 special will run. If it jumps up to $60, then it's not very appealing.

The somewhat limiting factor in my current location is internet speed. I can't get anything higher than 18 Mbps. It works fine for a single HD stream, but running multiple HD streams is going to clog up the link.

smile.gif

The "live" local channels are only in a handful of cities. The rest is "on demand". However, not CBS because CBS has their own subscription/APP. CBS doesn't want to compete against itself.

I have sling orange multistream beta grandfathered at 20$ (2 streams)
I use watchespn and foxsportsgo apps for those channels.

Currently have some cheap antenna for about 35 local channels except 1 or 2 vhf high.

After christmas I will have a clearstream 4v antenna with winegard lna 200 boost preamp.

That should fix my vhf high channels.

And I'm adding a tablo 2 channel dvr with 3TB hdd.

Total cost per month if I go with upgraded guide... 26.xx

Cable is 55$ for 5up/30down no data cap.

smile.gif

Yes, you would think I could spell Roku by now we have 4 of them.

We get by fine with TWC 6 mbps service, no buffering. Actual speed is 7.25 down, 1.25 Up. Monthly cost $29.95 soon to go to 49.95 ( I think) and if it does I will call them to get it lowered and if they dont, I will switch services again.

I purchased my own modem and router. TP Link AC 1750 Router Click here and TP link 7610 Cable Modem Click here

We run no less then a dozen devices in our home, not all at the same time but, never have an issue, including our fantastic Ooma home phone line.
So dont take my words wrong, I just dont see how people with 2 to 3 times the speed as us have issues.

I do work with peoples internet connections on a daily basis in the security business and I see how some people with the mess of wires, poor locations of equipment and poor choice of equipment can kill connection speed but doubt that is you. Im always fixing up their mess to get better throughput and range for their wifi cameras.

Originally Posted By: pandus13

Sling - $20 a month

I dont see the savings.

Me?
Cost = Free

One time cost $350

Netflex Streaming
Cost $9.
Cost $8

What internet service do you use? speed?
(i remember you tweeked a bit for performance)
Thank you

TWC Cable, advertised 6 Mbps but I actually get 7.25 down and 1.25 up. Along with the TP link equipment posted above this post.
I am CRAZY about proper connections, extensive use of Snap on Ferrite filters on every low and high power line in the network, Im a big believer in these and they are dirt cheap. I not only put them on the power line near the networking devices but at both ends of the line. I normally put two right next to each other in critical areas like where the power goes into the modem and router, as well as both ends of the data cable from modem to router, also large ones on the main power leads to the surge suppressor and UPS ! (I know, sounds crazy) but there is some sound reasons.Click here for an example and good equipment properly placed.

As hard as some people might find this to believe, we have NO issues what so ever, Hulu, Netflex etc.
Equipment in our house, 3 laptops, i pad, two desktops, 4 Roku players, Ooma phone service, normal wifi connections with our cell phones and more, I cant keep track anymore of all the wifi devices, granted its only my wife and I now, so all these devices are not on at one time, but many operate in the background, but even with my now graduated college daughter who used to be at the house, never an issue.

Last edited:
Ps, one last thing.
SOMETIMES people confuse poor wifi performance from their router in a home with slow internet service.
The reason (and I am not saying saying people in these forums) for this is they elect to accept the cable company router and modem with their low priced 6 Mbps service, with that, the cable company gives you a garbage modem/router combination.
The customer, then over time, thinks they need fast service and what do you know? They call their cable company, cable company increases the speed and replaces their garbage wifi router/modem with a new one that is slightly better then garbage.
Instead of renting the wifi router/modem you would be better off simply buying the reasonably priced TP Link equipment I posted or honestly any equivalent or better from other well known companies.
I can only speak for TPLINK as it has given me no reason to switch, it has been the most rock solid equipment I ever owned. Dont even know the last time I had to reset it.

Is it the best? I have no idea, Im also a fan of Netgear, just dont use it anymore. At the price/performance for the average home, I think TPLINK has the market locked up though.

Last edited:
TWC Cable, advertised 6 Mbps but I actually get 7.25 down and 1.25 up. Along with the TP link equipment posted above this post.
I am CRAZY about proper connections, extensive use of Snap on Ferrite filters on every low and high power line in the network, Im a big believer in these and they are dirt cheap. I not only put them on the power line near the networking devices but at both ends of the line. I normally put two right next to each other in critical areas like where the power goes into the modem and router, as well as both ends of the data cable from modem to router, also large ones on the main power leads to the surge suppressor and UPS ! (I know, sounds crazy) but there is some sound reasons.Click here for an example and good equipment properly placed.

As hard as some people might find this to believe, we have NO issues what so ever, Hulu, Netflex etc.
Equipment in our house, 3 laptops, i pad, two desktops, 4 Roku players, Ooma phone service, normal wifi connections with our cell phones and more, I cant keep track anymore of all the wifi devices, granted its only my wife and I now, so all these devices are not on at one time, but many operate in the background, but even with my now graduated college daughter who used to be at the house, never an issue.

Thank you. Educational!

now in a typical 900SQFT condo with internal walls of 1/2" drywall and sticks, what would be a good placement/strategy for the wireless router?
tall position and kind of middle of the room/wall?
i noticed i was 10 ft from the router and my linux mint laptop was telling me 85% signal strength

Thank you (nice to learn something new)

Thanks for posting. I took some time to read the link + comments and also this threads comments.

1. I'm amazed at the number of people who still haven't taken advantage of OTA local channels for FREE! I don't get that at all.

2. I'm willing to bet many are spending excessive $$$ on higher & higher speed connections than they need to. No doubt many are being sold this as a "solution" by the providers to extract more $$$/mo. from their wallet. I pay ATT $20/mo. for 6Mbps and have no problems streaming HD content on any LT or DT I own. Even wirelessly. Obviously the router & modem & radio are up to it. But further, so are the confusers. Meaning, there is no unnecessary junk/aps/processes/threads/etc. running in the background, stealing CPU cycles and using RAM, to cause problems.

3. Any LT/DT can be configured as a media server, setup to DVR. This isn't new. Or you can buy recorders, DVRs from Magnavox, ChannelMaster and others. Then you OWN it and your viewing habits. I still use Panasonic HD/DVD recorders to record, time-shift and edit OTA content. I bought two at a garage sale years ago: One for $10 and the other for $20. Slam dunk.

4. Being a dedicated OTA and movie watcher, I weaned myself off much of TV-time-wasting as the SNR was down in the 'stupid' level. Who has time these days to wade through all of that? Is it relaxing at the end of the day? I don't think so. Many apparently will put up with it. I have too many hobbies and other interests however.

5. There is an AMAZING amount of content you can watch on the net, you just have to look for it. Austrailian, Euro, British, Swedish, French programs you'll never hear about here in the US.

6. Local community library stocks over 1000 DVD movies, documentaries, travels, learning, TV-series, how to and the cost to rent is NOTHING. I can watch when convienent with no time wasting commercials.

7. The point being is there are LOTS of options available. However, you're going to have to seek them out as "big-media" isn't about to tell you about them at all. They all want to be your SOLE provider and spoon feed it to you on their schedule at their price. Spit the spoon out and go independent!

I'm very glad to see so many have decided to "cut the cord", "unplug" from The Fountain of Babel and doing their own thing.

With timewarner cable I pay for the 5/30 because I want the 5mbit upload.

on the 1/15 package I cant play CS:GO while any streaming is going on.
The streaming app/roku whatever will start clogging it up.
when it streams it will download then stop then download then stop
and it will dload at 20mbit or so. vs a continuous stream of 5mbit etc.
With the 30mbit down no ping spikes.. although I did use QoS to make 15mbit work it wasnt optimal.

Price up/down(mbits) you usually get around 20% more than advertised.I get 6.2Mbit up

$40 1/15
$45 2/20
$55 5/30
$65 5/50

Originally Posted By: pandus13

Thank you. Educational!

now in a typical 900SQFT condo with internal walls of 1/2" drywall and sticks, what would be a good placement/strategy for the wireless router?
tall position and kind of middle of the room/wall?
i noticed i was 10 ft from the router and my linux mint laptop was telling me 85% signal strength

Thank you (nice to learn something new)

Your thinking on placement is correct. Since you live in a condo, you will have a lot of nearby routers, if you really want to be anal about things you can down load any number of free wifi analyzer apps for an Android or Apple phone or Windows computer and look at your neighbors networks and what channels they are using, you can then, if you want go into your router settings and turn off "auto" channel selection and select a channel in your area with the least amount of signals/power from other routers on it.

Before you do, you could simply google selecting the best wifi channel.
Normally in the 2.5 ghz band meaning 1, 6, 11 since channels overlap.
If you have a dual band you can select a more quiet 5 GHZ band as well. The 5 GHZ will normally be more quiet (for now) but the higher freq. does not travel through walls as effectively as the 2.5 and those antennas on routers are normally for the 5 GHZ for that reason...Lots of reading on google which I would suggest just to get an idea, its not involved at all though. Anyway, the purpose is to cut down possible interference from nearby homes using the same channels. Select the channels that have the weakest signals on them.

I have no knowledge on Linux and may pick some brains in here someday, I have a few older (but 2 are not that old) computers I am about to get rid of but want to play around with Linux on the one or two not to old ones.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back