LL-01 OK to mix Edge 0w40 (Ti) with Edge 5w40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it OK to mix these? I have an E90 BMW that requires LL-01. Both bottles carry the LL-01 label and "API SN".
0w40 bottle is labeled with "Fluid Titanium Technology", "European Formula" and "A3/B4" bought from Walmart
5w40 is labeled "formerly Syntec" from Amazon

I'm in the US & found these on sale. I didn't look closely at the weight when buying from Amazon and just verified that it was LL-01.

Originally Posted By: Bvanderhaar
Is it OK to mix these? I have an E90 BMW that requires LL-01. Both bottles carry the LL-01 label and "API SN".
0w40 bottle is labeled with "Fluid Titanium Technology", "European Formula" and "A3/B4" bought from Walmart
5w40 is labeled "formerly Syntec" from Amazon

I'm in the US & found these on sale. I didn't look closely at the weight when buying from Amazon and just verified that it was LL-01.

I am not fan of mixing oils if it is not absolutely necessary.
That being said, I am not sure you would do any damage but would not run full OCI. Those two oils have completely different base stocks and really cannot tell how would they mix.
Can't you return that to Amazon? Stick to 0W40 from Wal mart!

I mix edge 0w40 and carquest 5w40 (both ll01) iin my bmw every week (i have minor leak). I just grab off the shelf and top off. I have zero desire of ever doing 15k oci so i see no harm

Originally Posted By: edyvw

That being said, I am not sure you would do any damage but would not run full OCI. Those two oils have completely different base stocks and really cannot tell how would they mix.

Shoot! Yeah, I probably could. Or I'll use for the GM car
smile.gif
. Why would Castrol make more than one LL-01/use different base stocks? Whatever. I do tend to run a full-ish (12-15K) OCI. I'll just use the Walmart stuff, it's cheap enough. Thought for sure I was saving a trip...plus they were in 1 quart bottles (pack of 6) which makes measuring easier...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: xshoex
I mix edge 0w40 and carquest 5w40 (both ll01) iin my bmw every week (i have minor leak). I just grab off the shelf and top off. I have zero desire of ever doing 15k oci so i see no harm

I do prefer to do long-ish OCI's (12-15K). I do have a minor leak as well. But it seems mixing is not recommended...

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
.plus they were in 6 quart bottles which makes measuring easier...

5 quart maybe?

Sorry, I intended to say 1 quart bottles. I hate using the 5 quart bottles, measuring with them is a pain.

Specs require oils to be miscible (they mix together well) . They have no requirement that they work together well.

smile.gif
. Why would Castrol make more than one LL-01/use different base stocks? Whatever. I do tend to run a full-ish (12-15K) OCI. I'll just use the Walmart stuff, it's cheap enough. Thought for sure I was saving a trip...plus they were in 1 quart bottles (pack of 6) which makes measuring easier...

I have no idea why, but it does illustrate the folly of trying to "reading the tea leaves" of base stocks when it comes to fully formulated oils. Especially ones that carry a certification like Longlife-01.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

smile.gif

I have no idea why, but it does illustrate the folly of trying to "reading the tea leaves" of base stocks when it comes to fully formulated oils. Especially ones that carry a certification like Longlife-01.

Your comment suggests the mixing isn't as detrimental as suggested by edyvw or others. I also assumed that draining oil doesn't get everything out, so oils will end up mixed in the engine...this suggests switching brands/weights/formulas should trigger a shorter OCI (assuming these have different base stocks). How is one able to get anything else done while changing so much oil...;)

I won't be using the 5w40 due to the comments here and will stick with the Walmart Castrol 0w40 to avoid any risk. I hope they don't do a re-formulation like M1...

smile.gif

Basically 5W40 Castrol is one step down from 0W40 which is Castrol's premier oil around the world. I am not sure they make any money selling it in Wal Mart (same like M1 0W40) but it is good for publicity and marketing. Maybe they make small change but who knows. It is PAO based.
5W40 is Made in US and does not have anything to do with Castrol 5W40 FST or 5W40 OE available in Europe. It is group III based and does not meet MB 229.5. It has higher NOACK then 0W40 etc.
On top of all that, 0W40 is cheaper.
In Wal Mart as of recently you can also find 1 quart 0W40 bottles.
As for making two LL-01 oils, do not forget 0W30 Castrol which is also LL-01.
Except those stuff that I mentioned, I used several times 5W40 in my Passat 1.8T (sold it) and around 4K valve lifters would start knocking. I switched to 0W30 Castrol, and never had that issue. 0W30 and 0W40 are basically same base. I never had that issue with Pennzoil Ultra 5W40 or Mobil1 0W40, only castrol 5W40. Since then stay away from that garbage.

Last edited:

smile.gif

Basically 5W40 Castrol is one step down from 0W40 which is Castrol's premier oil around the world. I am not sure they make any money selling it in Wal Mart (same like M1 0W40) but it is good for publicity and marketing. Maybe they make small change but who knows. It is PAO based.
5W40 is Made in US and does not have anything to do with Castrol 5W40 FST or 5W40 OE available in Europe. It is group III based and does not meet MB 229.5. It has higher NOACK then 0W40 etc.
Except those stuff that I mentioned, I used several times 5W40 in my Passat 1.8T (sold it) and around 4K valve lifters would start knocking. I switched to 0W30 Castrol, and never had that issue. 0W30 and 0W40 are basically same base. I never had that issue with Pennzoil Ultra 5W40 or Mobil1 0W40, only castrol 5W40. Since then stay away from that garbage.

Thanks for your detailed reply - seriously. My frustration is just the labeling of things as LL-01. One would think they would just pick one oil and thats the LL-01. I won't use the 5w40. I'm plenty happy with 0w40; I just thought I saved myself a trip and a little cash; plus got the 1 quarts. Thanks for the tip on the 1 quarts. Now if they only made them in 6-packs...

smile.gif

Thanks for your detailed reply - seriously. My frustration is just the labeling of things as LL-01. One would think they would just pick one oil and thats the LL-01. I won't use the 5w40. I'm plenty happy with 0w40; I just thought I saved myself a trip and a little cash; plus got the 1 quarts. Thanks for the tip on the 1 quarts. Now if they only made them in 6-packs...

Well you buy 5qt jug plus 1qt.
You sure you cannot buy 0W40 at Amazon in 6pack?

I only mix oils when really desperate for a cheap top up oil, BUT I would never mix an oil with anything that says, "Formerly Syntec", on the can!

No issue with mixing.

Originally Posted By: UltrafanUK
I only mix oils when really desperate for a cheap top up oil, BUT I would never mix an oil with anything that says, "Formerly Syntec", on the can!

Why?

Castrol Syntec was a very strong brand in the USA for 20 years.

Originally Posted By: UltrafanUK

That is branding issue. Nothing to do with composition. So basically Castrol saying customers, it is same old oil, jus now called Edge.

How much oil is left inside the engine, (be it in the pan, covering mechanical parts etc.) after the drain plug is removed? There better be no issues with mixing.

It's not like mixing Dexcool and conventional green in a 50/50 ratio for 100,000 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back