Maxlife for '03 BMW 530i?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an '03 530i with the 5 speed zf slushbox. I just bought 6 quarts of Pentosin ATF1 thru my Worldpac account, but I noticed Maxlife also carries the correct BMW approval. I use Maxlife in some asian automatics and I've never had an issue, but you never know with the BMW stuff, and Maxlife is a fraction of the price. Thoughts?

How thick is the recommended ATF?
I ask because Maxlife is a little on the thin side for some applications.
It is a full syn fluid and is apparently pretty resistant to shear, but both are also probably true of the Pentosin.
Just as an example, Maxlife ATF is recommended for Ford Mercon LV applications but not Mercon V applications.

The Pentosin ATF1 has a 7.6 operating viscosity. MaxLife starts out at 6.0. A big difference. The Pentosin is a Dex III and may shear down into the lower to mid 5's at some point like most other Dex III's. The Max Life will hang in the 5.5-6.0 its entire life. I have the same concern for my '99 T56 where a Dex III ATF is recommended and an LV ATF is specifically not recommended (ie vis of low 6's). If I needed to stay in the 7's and could use a synthetic without problem, I'd probably look at the Redline D4 or the Amsoil Torque Drive ATF, both of these are in the mid 7's.

I would really recommend staying with the Pentosin. It just seems to work the best in the BMWs with ZFs. Just like with Hondas, I use Honda fluid in the Hondas and Pentosin in BMWs and never a problem. That transmission is actually pretty strong, and without crazy turbocharged power to it, it should last awhile. Most of those cars have 100K+ miles with the original fluid.

My friend's e90 (325xi) has the GM trans in it with original fluid at 114K miles. It shifts fine, but I do have the fluid to do the change, just haven't gotten to it yet. The ZF trans is superior in my opinion. I met a guy with an e90 330i with 270k original miles. He just did oil changes every 6k miles and fluid drain and fills every 50k in the ZF auto. I've used MaxLife in other vehicles with good results, but considering how expensive transmission work is on a BMW, I think sticking with the OE fluid is ideal.

If Valvoline recommends it for the application i wouldn't hesitate to use it. The problem with recommended vs certified for the application is that if the lubricant manufacture isn't reputable you are gambling, but Valvoline has lots of money into the R&D of this Maxlife Dex/Merc ATF and it's really good stuff, they worked with Lubrizol to get a good additive package for it.

I sometimes mix Maxlife (thin) with Castrol multi-import (thicker) to get closer to a 7 cst viscosity.

AAP might have it. My local store ordered 3 for me last March. $8.xx a gallon.
wink.gif

So do we know that the Pentosin shears like a Dex III? The Pentosin is a synthetic though, isn't it? Dex III certainly in't.

Maxlife is great stuff and very popular on here. If it says it meets the spec you need, use it with confidence
smile.gif

I'm also a fan of WPP's Mag 1 synthetic LV ATF. Walmart just started carrying it now under their house brand. $15/gal when ordered online. Either way, no need to waste your money on Pentosin.

Originally Posted By: ET16
I sometimes mix Maxlife (thin) with Castrol multi-import (thicker) to get closer to a 7 cst viscosity.

No point in doing this. The thinner full syn is more shear-stable, so even though the starting visc is lower, it won't stay that way in service.

Originally Posted By: KenO
I have an '03 530i with the 5 speed zf slushbox. I just bought 6 quarts of Pentosin ATF1 thru my Worldpac account, but I noticed Maxlife also carries the correct BMW approval. I use Maxlife in some asian automatics and I've never had an issue, but you never know with the BMW stuff, and Maxlife is a fraction of the price. Thoughts?

Autozone is clearing Pentosin ATF1 for $4-5/liter.

Originally Posted By: Sam_Julier

Autozone is clearing Pentosin ATF1 for $4-5/liter.

Saw that in teh deals section. Unfortunately, none of them in our area stock it, or I'd already own all of it
smile.gif

Last edited:

Which BMW approval is that?

And Maxlife carries no approvals:

Quote:
Valvoline has conducted extensive in-house testing, independent lab testing, and field-testing to support MaxLife ATF performance in the broadest range of transmissions; however, it should be noted that MaxLife ATF is not a OEM licensed product. The respective vehicle manufacturers have neither evaluated nor endorsed MaxLife ATF in these applications.

You would be correct the Maxlife doesn't carry formal BMW approval but this isn't a fly by the night PQIA advisory company making lubricants, this is Valvoline... there are plenty of members using this fluid in multiple different applications with good reports

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
You would be correct the Maxlife doesn't carry formal BMW approval but this isn't a fly by the night PQIA advisory company making lubricants, this is Valvoline... there are plenty of members using this fluid in multiple different applications with good reports

Sure, I use it in my BMW and my Sienna, both of which specify Dexron III. I was mostly asking the OP what BMW approval he was referring to, and pointing out that his statement "Maxlife also carries the correct BMW approval" could not be correct.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

Sure, I use it in my BMW and my Sienna, both of which specify Dexron III. I was mostly asking the OP what BMW approval he was referring to, and pointing out that his statement "Maxlife also carries the correct BMW approval" could not be correct.

It has the approvals listed on the back of the bottle in the photo linked below. I understand BMW hasn't tested these fluids, neither have they tested Redline D6 or any number of other fluids that are probably compatible as well. Please don't put word sin my mouth.

maxresdefault.jpg

No, it has none of those approvals. It is recommended by Valvoline for those uses (and that's an old bottle BTW, listing some recommendations that it no longer makes), but it carries none of the listed approvals.

And I didn't put any words in your mouth, you said "Maxlife also carries the correct BMW approval" which is incorrect.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
No, it has none of those approvals. It is recommended by Valvoline for those uses (and that's an old bottle BTW, listing some recommendations that it no longer makes), but it carries none of the listed approvals.

And I didn't put any words in your mouth, you said "Maxlife also carries the correct BMW approval" which is incorrect.

OK. Thats what I meant. I used the wrong wording apparently. My apologies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back