High Mileage oil rookie questions....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to have the answers, but never needed them until now.

So here the questions:

1) If my vehicle previously consumed lots of oil which was fixed my using a HM oil, do the seals that it swelled (if that is even what fixed it) shrink again if I go back to a non-hm oil?

2) Does the seal swelling action (or whatever lol) continue if I switch from one brand to another? Especially from a dino HM to a synthetic one?

Thanks for the info, it will help me plan my next move carefully.

Last edited:
Don't you have enough threads on this?
smile.gif

Don't overthink it...

....because bobistheoilguy.....
smile.gif

I'd really like to know the answers to these questions guys. Planning my next step super carefully....or maybe not at all.

Hey jayg, how has that Pennzoil HM 10-40 working out for you in the Land Cruiser? Never noticed that in your sig. What's the story behind it.

Last edited:
If its consuming oil, then its not a seal problem, its probably the oil control ring which is crudded up. If its dripping oil then it could be a seal.

Most people fix the gaskets or seals that are causing an issue except maybe the rear main.

But if going to a HM solved whatever problem you had, then keep using it. Its cheaper than doing almost anything else, until HM oil does not solve the problem.

Originally Posted By: Donald
If its consuming oil, then its not a seal problem, its probably the oil control ring which is crudded up. If its dripping oil then it could be a seal.

Most people fix the gaskets or seals that are causing an issue except maybe the rear main.

But if going to a HM solved whatever problem you had, then keep using it. Its cheaper than doing almost anything else, until HM oil does not solve the problem.

Valve stem seals I meant. I mean I don't doubt it is oil control rings being crudded up but something has worked....perhaps the cleaning involved with respect to the oil control rings. Most people would fix the gaskets or seals unless you are talking a boxer motor (valve seals will cost as much as a new motor) which it is apparent you know quite a bit about based upon that signature.

Anyways, my questions are just general really...more related to HM behavior. I am close, but wanted to know the rules of engagement when switching around.

Last edited:
I thought that my questions were rookie, but apparently not. I know that you guys are being helpful, but forget my *particular* vehicle situation for a minute.

Let me repeat the questions without involving my vehicle this time as to avoid getting off topic:

1) If you stop using high mileage oil and it swelled internal seals like valve stem seals for example, do the seals return to their normal size? I think the answer is yes.

2) Will seal swelling continue if you go from one brand to another and/or from one type to another e.g. dino/synthetic? I think the answer is yes.

Last edited:
I am now using Mobil Super High Mileage and it seems to be working great!
I have also used Pennzoil High Mileage for years in the past with good results.

Originally Posted By: dx92beater
smile.gif

Hey jayg, how has that Pennzoil HM 10-40 working out for you in the Land Cruiser? Never noticed that in your sig. What's the story behind it.

The 10w40 PHM is working fine however I noticed better oil pressure (slightly) last winter with Maxlife 5w40 on cold starts even plugged in to the block heater. Even colder here this season so far and I wish had more 5w40 Maxlife but I actually ordered online as it is not available here and it was sort of a pain. Maxlife 5w30, and 10w40 are all commonly available in the US but not the 5w40.

Thinks about it this way, if one refiner uses one chemistry and it works for you, you have no idea what the next refiner will use. And, it likely won't work, or won't work as well.

I dunno, but I been saying this for a few years now - match the oil to the task at hand and that includes the engine topology. Once you find something that works well (quiet, cooler, less consumption, etc.) just keep using it. You have found the match ...

If the valve guide oil seals are worn, using a HM oil or stop leak additive can help. If it's a dripper they are also effective, as is moving up a grade to a thicker oil.
If the rings are bad using a different oil or even viscosity is unlikely to make a difference. If that is the issue, then I would use an idle flush additive just before an oil and filter change to make sure the oil control rings is not varnished stuck and then add a can of Ceratec.

Most major brand engine oils contain some seal conditioner, so I doubt if changing from an HM back to a normal oil would cause the seals to shrink, BUT if the oil loss rate was less with the HM oil, I sure would be inclined to stick with it, or if I needed to use an 0wX in winter, then I would add half a can of a major brand oil stop leak additive. I don't think anyone makes an 0w30 or 40 HM oil at present.

I thought that my questions were rookie, but apparently not. I know that you guys are being helpful, but forget my *particular* vehicle situation for a minute.

Let me repeat the questions without involving my vehicle this time as to avoid getting off topic:

1) If you stop using high mileage oil and it swelled internal seals like valve stem seals for example, do the seals return to their normal size? I think the answer is yes.

2) Will seal swelling continue if you go from one brand to another and/or from one type to another e.g. dino/synthetic? I think the answer is yes.

My limited understanding is that the seals both shrink and get hardened due to heat and age. The HM oils in theory soften the seals and possibly swell them albeit slightly; that in concert with slightly higher viscosity and detergents to free up sticky rings, helps control oil consumption.
I think like others have said, if your motor likes it, don't switch...

They don't tell us exactly what "seal conditioner" really means. In some cases it means rejuvenate, nourish. Others it means swell. We've had several discussions on here about Mobil 1 HM referring to "swelling the seals" in its FAQ repeatedly. Maxlife makes it sound more like something you rub on your back
laugh.gif
So IMO it depends on which HM oil was used and what was the actual problem whether or not consumption issues return. Either way it will take approx the same time it took for it to go away. 2-3 OCI's.

Originally Posted By: jayg
smile.gif

The 10w40 PHM is working fine however I noticed better oil pressure (slightly) last winter with Maxlife 5w40 on cold starts even plugged in to the block heater. Even colder here this season so far and I wish had more 5w40 Maxlife but I actually ordered online as it is not available here and it was sort of a pain. Maxlife 5w30, and 10w40 are all commonly available in the US but not the 5w40.

That is some great info. Thank you.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
They don't tell us exactly what "seal conditioner" really means. In some cases it means rejuvenate, nourish. Others it means swell. We've had several discussions on here about Mobil 1 HM referring to "swelling the seals" in its FAQ repeatedly. Maxlife makes it sound more like something you rub on your back
laugh.gif
So IMO it depends on which HM oil was used and what was the actual problem whether or not consumption issues return. Either way it will take approx the same time it took for it to go away. 2-3 OCI's.

Solid....your username definitely qualifies you to make comments....awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back