Tools. Need some ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a wide variety of misc tools for home automotive care. I'm downsizing and ditching an old roll-away tool box. What I need is a smaller more portable tool box/organizer with the need to store an odd assortment of wrenches, sockets, extensions, screwdrivers and other odd tools and I thought that BITOG members would have some good ideas. Multiple smaller tool boxes would be okay with definite slots for sockets a must have feature.

The reason for smaller and portable is that I help some friends and neighbors and need to get to tools without a lot of fuss and also make sure I finish with all the tools back in the box.

So, any thoughts on the subject?

Fire doors between house and garage is a good idea. Don't park a gas car in a garage with bedrooms over it. Gas cans in shed some distance from house.

Test smoke detectors with test smoke in a spray can.

Deal with rodents that chew wires.

Install arc-fault circuit breakers.

Fire code sheet rock between garage and house.

Explosive gas detector if natural or LP gas.

I have a 22 or 24" plastic one with 3 metal drawers, with a 1/4" and 1/2" socket set, a 32 piece wrench set, a set of torx sockets, and some screwdrivers, pliers, hammers, wire, tape, misc. stuff on top. It's about all I want to lift. I don't know if its design or chance but my plastic case for the socket set cut out to fit perfectly in the bottom drawer, so that's all organized. Its pretty much all the tools I need most of the time. The bigger stuff has its own cases and gets brought out when needed.
Also get one with side handles, a single handle on top limits your weight capacity. Mine has a plastic lid and the single handle would rip off if I used it much. Probably my box is 60-70lbs and two hands is good to put it on the bench or shelves.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back