Log splitter fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked up a new log splitter on Black Friday, but not sure exactly what fluid I should use in it. Owners manual says AW32, AW46, and Universal hydraulic fluid are all acceptable, and ATF in temps below 32°F. I'll be using this year round, so it could see temps from around 0°F to around 90°F. Fleet Farm has all of the above and the price difference between any of them is negligible. They also have a multigrade 5W-20 hydraulic fluid, which is slightly more expensive.

What do you guys think would be the best option?

Originally Posted By: BobsArmory
Log splitters are pretty low stress compared to most other applications. Don't stress on this issue.

Oh, I'm not really stressing on it. Just figured I'd ask for recommendations since the manual gives a few different options. Looks like I'll probably just go with ATF. Only real experience I have with hydraulics was plowing snow, and we used ATF in our plows.

I put in a mix of 32 and 46, split it about half. I'm unlikely to split below 30 or so, 40-70 is the sweet spot with temps.

Pro tip: splitting firewood is a cold weather activity. Way too much material handling to do it in the summer. I'd use whatever works best in cold weather.

Originally Posted By: JR
ATF, i switch over a few years back. I will never look back again.

+1 I would use any readily available transmission fluid and enjoy it. Nice looking machine

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
Originally Posted By: JR
ATF, i switch over a few years back. I will never look back again.

+1 I would use any readily available transmission fluid and enjoy it. Nice looking machine

I would avoid the newest products, Dexron VI in particular. Lots of inexpensive seals don't do well.

Fresh ST ATF and filter in the brave industries splitter.
I go old school with engine oil, vintage briggs recommendation of 5w-20.
Edge Ti 5w-20, mos2, and zddp was used during this service, drain was M1 ep 0w-20 around 40hours.

harvey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back