Daughters IPOD + water = Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
So yesterday my daughter dropped her IPOD in a puddle of water before school and it wouldn't boot up. When she got home she put it in a bag with some rice in it. Fast forward today, still doesn't work. Any idea's on how to get it running again?

Do you have a dehumidifier? If so, crank it up and place the iPod in front of it for a day. If you have an Apple store nearby, I'd take it there.

The big mistake was her trying to boot it up after it got wet. It probably caused a short.

If the touch was off and it's wet let it air dry longer, never did the rice trick, just always let phone sit for a day or two.

If the touch was on then it should be powered off and let air dry as much as possible.

Keep letting it air dry for another day, let it sit in more rice if that does the trick and then try it again, though it's still a possibility a short happened from your daughter pressing the power button.

Longer time in the rice, maybe heat the oven to ~100 degrees then turn it OFF and put the iPod in its rice in there for a few hours.

Or if you have access to a vacuum chamber, pull a vacuum on it and boil the water out at room temp. :)

But more than likely, its dead. If you could pop the battery out of an iPod immediately after getting it wet, the chances of survival would be a lot better. But on devices with permanently installed batteries, there's likely *some* spot in there where a conductor at battery voltage was exposed to the water, and the resulting electrolysis will corrode away printed circuits and fine wire connections very quickly on any conductors tied to the positive battery terminal (which attracts the oxygen produced when the water is electrolyzed.)

Last edited:
google iphone water damage, and you'll get plenty of articles telling you what to try to remove the moisture.
Most of them will say rice is pretty much a poor option to remove moisture. You are better off just air drying it.

If you have a place that is warm dry with airflow that's one of the best solution. (e.g. the back of a desktop computer exhaust fan, or other electronics that produce a constant warm airflow, like a cabletv box)

I dropped my phone in the gutter, I dried it in the holes with a hair drier for 10 minutes or so, then sat it in front of a table fan for a couple of hours. I alternated this practice several times over the next 24 hours, then put the battery in and it started right up.

The rice idea seemed useless and slow, you need warm dry moving air.

Rice works.

My brothers iPhone went through the washing machine and sat in wet clothes for 5+ hours.

Aside from the wifi feature failing 2 years later, the phone worked fine.

Keep it submerged in rice a few days. If it doesnt work put in oven at low temp. I have actually saved a couple blackberrys doing the oven thing but do at ur own risk.

The basic way of transferring music is by manually copying your iTunes music files into a temporary folder on your PC. Then, connect your Android phone to the computer using a USB cable and open your phone’s music folder. From there, you can then transfer your music files from the computer to your phone’s music folder.

You can also Sync iTunes and Android with 3rd party programs. doubleTwist is one but never used it.

Originally Posted By: BobsArmory
Originally Posted By: Jimzz
Probably dead. Worse case buy a cheap small android phone and use it as a MP3 player. Also will still dial 911 in case she needs it as well.
You can get a new one for $20 or less.

$20 = 4.5" screen, decent CPU, and 1.5Gb of ram
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/verizon-prep...p?skuId=5656242

So JIMZZ how would you transfer all the music from iTunes to Android?

itunes lets you burn CDs which you can then rip to whatever DRM free format is out there.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

itunes lets you burn CDs which you can then rip to whatever DRM free format is out there.

iTunes hasn't sold DRM music in many (maybe 6 or so) years now. There's nothing special about the M4a files it creates either - just regular old AAC files that are playable near everywhere. You can rename them MP4 if you like.

iTunes even keeps the music files pretty organized too..

Last edited:
The water has already done its damage. No amuount of rice or baking it in the oven will help. Take it to a reputable repair shop. I just got my son's water damaged iphone 6 repaired for $125. Cheap when compared with the price of a new one. All depends on how much it costs to replace the iPod.

Nothing worked so we took the Ipod to the local apple store. Told them what happened, they hooked it up and did some diagnostics and gave us a brand new unit. no questions asked. Wow, that's pretty impressive! Personally I have never been an Apple fan but this might make me change my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back