Motorcraft 820s C&P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all again! Super excited to do this oil change.

Oil was changed on the 2002 F150 Fx4 5.4. The truck currently has 94,900 miles on it.

Since 13000 miles bought from the dealer it has seen PYB 5w20.

Last oil change:
PYB 5w20 with MC820s for 5800miles

This oil change:
PHM 5w20 with Fram TG2 and plan on running it another 5000 to maybe 6000 miles

The filter was good with no tears to my surprise (and relief). Pleats were mostly straight, except some of them started getting wavy and those wavy plates weren't as strong as the others but I am so surprised the filter held up strong for 5800 miles considering their past.

Date Code:

I believe I counted a total of 48 pleats, not counting the seam.

Thank you, hope you enjoyed!

Looks like a cheap aftermarket rather than a filter recommended by Ford.

As much as I want to like MC filters, I've always experienced start up tick with these. The waves drive me nuts too.. just think, it's not even winter yet. (Cold starts, moisture in oil etc.) The waves would only get worse.

The TG was a good upgrade IMO.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Looks like a cheap aftermarket rather than a filter recommended by Ford.

As much as I want to like MC filters, I've always experienced start up tick with these. The waves drive me nuts too.. just think, it's not even winter yet. (Cold starts, moisture in oil etc.) The waves would only get worse.

The TG was a good upgrade IMO.

I was just happy no tears were made. I was definitely shocked how much the pleats are easier to move once they are bent and become wavy.

The filter was much easier to cut open than the TGs, might just be getting better with those tin snips too LOL.

I definitely agree the TG is a huge upgrade. I now have TGs in all of the 3 jeeps and 1 truck and the lawn mower. All that's left is the motorcycle :]

Last edited:
These are very good filters and the price is great.
A few waves in a used filter never hurt anything.
It's an oil filter for GDS sake.

Originally Posted By: car51
Looks good I say. Off topic: wheee do you get the black gloves?

Harbor Freight. They just opened a store up near me and these black gloves are great, grippy, and light on the wallet!

Jeepwj19: I'll check my harbor freight near work, thanks
smile.gif

I got 2 FL-910S today actually along with "Wal mart f*** up" giving me two cases of Trop artic 10w30

I'll run this oil and a FL-910S to 7,500 as owner manual says. If it's rough as the TG-3614, I will be done with MC forever

I've run a bunch of MC filters on the Matrix. Mostly 822 and 836, which seem to keep the oil for clean for the entire oci unlike the oem Toyo filters. Now running a TG as well. I might run that bad boy 15k miles. Then prob switch over to an Ultra since I have a free one of those coming.

I've used MC filters for a long time and my engines have had many miles on them with 10K OCIs on oil and MC filters. See my cam pic in the photo section I posted this week.

Im not tig 1 but in my opinion the Fram ultra is up to the job and as for the Mobil 1 EP that should be able to do 15,000 miles or 1 year on a good engine without any issues just like the ultra. I stopped using the Motorcraft because the ultra is a much better filter for a few dollars more.

Based on some anecdotes posted, the 820 of the MC filter line seems to be the most questionable. That said, this one looks to have gotten the job done satisfactorily for the 5800 mile oci. And agree with Dallas, the pleat wave while aesthetically unpleasing to some doesn't affect filter function.

Thanks for c&p.

Originally Posted By: car51
Tig1: think I could go 15k on M1 EP 0w20 and FL-910S?

EP 0-20 would work well at 15K. At 10K the MC910 still looks great in my engines. However my engines are very clean, and when I cut the filter apart the pleats show no sign of failure or sludge products

Way better looking 820 than the one that came off our Expedition with the same motor. Has the Fram reduced the cold start ticking/rattling? As the temperatures get colder here in my neck of the woods (81/76 corridor) there is a nice pronounced tick for a couple minutes. Thinking about throwing a XG2 on it come spring oil change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back