Laptops these days?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its been a few years since I looked at laptops and computer specs. I think it was maybe 2011 when I purchased my current Asus laptop which has a A6-3400M quad core 64bit CPU and 4gb RAM. IIRC I spent under $500 on it back then, and its served very well (still does, mostly). Plays all the games I have had back then and does "normal" computer stuff quite well. Plenty of HD space, as well.

Of course, times change and between the new games out there (which I don't spend a ton of time or money, but would like to catch up a little) and then the Win 10 debacle ([censored] thing runs like [censored] now) I'm at least considering shopping around and refreshing my knowledge base.

I'm looking at the laptops in this same price range and I'm not sure but they all seem LESS powerful with dual core CPU's? Did I miss something? Any major advances in the laptop field over the past few years? Thoughts on a reasonably priced model out there that would offer notable improvements?

Gaming on a laptop is absolutely ridiculous and it's for dbag college students whose mommies and daddies buy them everything. Get a desktop to play games on.

Originally Posted By: horse123
Gaming on a laptop is absolutely ridiculous and it's for dbag college students whose mommies and daddies buy them everything. Get a desktop to play games on.

How do you really feel? Seriously though, I'm not a hardcore gamer its just some fun to do if I have free time at night.

A desktop is not an option
whistle.gif

That's a bit harsh.... nice slippery slope, a lot of my other fellow software engineer pals in college had gaming laptops and we would all have LAN parties if the computer science rooms were used for something else and those individuals are still some of the nicest people I've met.

OP, I generally like ASUS and Lenovo far more than any other brand and if they don't have anything in that price range I would pay the extra dough, JMO

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: buck91

How do you really feel? Seriously though, I'm not a hardcore gamer its just some fun to do if I have free time at night.

A desktop is not an option
whistle.gif

That's how I really feel.

There's not much advice to be given here. There's about ten hundred billion quadrillion laptops in production currently, you need to look at options for yourself really.

I see phallic issues here.

smile.gif

Why do you say they seem less powerful? A lower GHz speed isn't a valid comparison between processor families, only between processors IN a family.

So when do you trade in your laptop for a desktop?

Gaming on a laptop is absolutely ridiculous and it's for dbag college students whose mommies and daddies buy them everything.

Fixed it for you.

I bought my own thanks and I've been pleased with it.

Nice useless post.

I really like the HP laptops at Costco. You can get a nice i7 17" for 700-1000.
I have been in the retail computer sales/service for 25 years. That's what I buy foe myself.
Vince

I am not a guru, but I'd get something with the i5 or i7 if you want snappy performance, especially since you mention gaming. I now have a MacBook Pro 15 and it's quite the machine, it's certainly more computer than I need but it was given to me so who would turn that down, brand new by the way. It's hard to find anything decent below the $450-500 range last time I looked.

I was in the same boat last week. My laptop is 4 years old and the display drivers are failing. 4 years ago I spent almost $600 to get Intel i3 with 6gb of ram...it has served me well.

Fast forward to now..

Here is what i wanted to buy.. Intel i7 8GB Ram, 1TB HD, 17.3 display. $549
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-17-3-lapt...p?skuId=5657870

I got caught up in overthinking it and ended up with this HP on rollback from walmart. $339

https://www.walmart.com/ip/HP-15-ay039wm...-Drive/51397788

Smaller display and slower processor but $200 cheaper.

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
I was in the same boat last week. My laptop is 4 years old and the display drivers are failing.

How do drivers all of a sudden start failing?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
I was in the same boat last week. My laptop is 4 years old and the display drivers are failing.

How do drivers all of a sudden start failing?

He probably meant the gpu. It's a common occurrence for laptop GPU's to fail because of thermal overload.

Originally Posted By: BobsArmory

I see phallic issues here.

smile.gif

I don't see any phallic.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back