2013 EX-l Pilot 3.5 M1 0w20 8707 miles CQ Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

UOA from my Father's wife's 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L with the 3.5 V-6. Oil changed with 15% remaining on the maintenance minder 70-80% highway usage. Filter was a Wix made Car Quest Blue filter with M1 0w20, he wasn't sure exactly which 0w20 but he thinks it was AFE. I was pleased with the low iron considering this vehicle has the stupid VCM system. Current fill is also M1 0w20 AFE with another CQ Blue WIX made filter, he also has a jug of Mag 1 0w20 for the following oil change.

I would definitely use a quality synthetic oil (of which Mag 1 is an excellent example) if following the Maintenance Minder on this vehicle. That said, it looks like it has very low wear metals, and I'm sure it's running well. On my suggestion, my dad changes the oil every 5,000 miles on their 2014 MDX and it still runs like a top at 60k miles (they drive a lot).

I was pleased to see the results for sure, I wish that Dad had requested the TBN for this sample as I think that would've been more of an indication for the ability to run the MM down to 10,5,0% but I think at the very least he is safe with sticking to a synthetic 0w20 @ 15% on the OLM.

I forgot to mention. The OEM original air filter was also changed at the same time as this OCI to a Car Quest Blue made by Wix. If it also is serviceable for over 80,000 miles I doubt that she will still own the car when it requires replacement.

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
I was pleased to see the results for sure, I wish that Dad had requested the TBN for this sample as I think that would've been more of an indication for the ability to run the MM down to 10,5,0% but I think at the very least he is safe with sticking to a synthetic 0w20 @ 15% on the OLM.

Have confidence in the OLM to predict oil degradation. Its similar to the smart ones offered by GM and Ford, amongst others. Based on sensors and algorithms estimating blowby, temperature effects, RPM effects, time, all that. Proven tech, so running the OLM down to zero is just fine. Use M1 Extended Performance 0w-20 for any extra margin since the algorithm assumes you're using a synthetic blend type of 0w-20, the worst possible.

82,000 miles? Member dblshock would condemn this engine to a scrap heap after so many 0W20 uses.
wink.gif

Thank goodness you know better. Great UOA.

great UOA, even if it is M-1
This vehicle must literally never stop moving--over 83K miles in what, 3 years?
Was this mileage in FL?
Steve

OCI could have been extended further to 10K or more ,and indicated 15% OLM appears conservative.
There could be fuel dilution here though.

Originally Posted By: steve20
great UOA, even if it is M-1
This vehicle must literally never stop moving--over 83K miles in what, 3 years?
Was this mileage in FL?
Steve

She does drive quite a bit, like I mentioned above lots of highway back and forth to dog events (she competes in numerous areas with a pair trio of goldens). This vehicle lives in Michigan, it has made one trip from MI-FL about 2 years ago, but the majority of the miles were in MI and surrounding states.

Originally Posted By: FZ1
Look at the vis @100. Oil is thinning. Shorter oci. No tbn needed.

Yes the oil thinned some, still in grade, wear metals are acceptable. I can't see ANY justification for a shorter OCI, instead I see evidence that it could go further and that at the very least that the OCI as indicated by the OLM is acceptable.

Originally Posted By: steve20
Thanks for the reply--again--great UOA
Steve

No worries, I enjoy sharing data with the group as much as I enjoy reading the data posted!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back