XS-Big Dot Sights

Status
Not open for further replies.
About (2) weeks ago I purchased my 1st ever Glock firearm. I was undecided between the G17 & G19. I chose the Gen4 G17. I wanted the model that started the Glock revolution. I have plenty of time to buy the G19 later.
I knew upon arrival that those cheap factory sights had to geaux. After a lot of research, I chose the XS-Big Dot sights. I chose the model with the rear sight without the tritium strip. Does anyone else here have these sights? Opinions, please?

308fl9v.jpg

I have read they provide faster sight acquisition, but I have no practical experience with them. I am looking at the TRUGLO® TFX Pistol Sights for my G19. Welcome to the Glock club!

I've used them a few times. I think they have great windage acquisition (because you can quickly line up the big dot and small mark, vertically), but I find it hard to get a good elevation acquisition. I suppose it would take some getting used to. I don't prefer them, but they're certainly good quality sights.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I've used them a few times. I think they have great windage acquisition (because you can quickly line up the big dot and small mark, vertically), but I find it hard to get a good elevation acquisition. I suppose it would take some getting used to. I don't prefer them, but they're certainly good quality sights.

I can see the issue with the front elevation. I would have probably gone to something like a straight 8 sight setup from Heinie.

I absolutely despise them. Some folks like them, but not me. Try making a 35 yard shot when you dont know exactly where to put the front sight on the rear sight. They are 7 yard and in combat sights, nothing more.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein

I can see the issue with the front elevation. I would have probably gone to something like a straight 8 sight setup from Heinie.

Those sights were one of about 30 videos on sights that I watched for the last (2) weeks. I started to buy this sight, but, it reminded me of my red dot sight on my AR-15. I'm shooting a pistol, not a rifle. Oh, and it costs $199!
shocked.gif

https://youtu.be/vvFUO4vrsEM

I tried them on a Glock and my old eyes kept seeing 2 rear posts. I tried just the front with stock rear and it was ok. Finally went back to Meprolight on both my Glocks and I am very happy.
At self defense distance you are not going to use the sight other than to point so you may as well have something that works well beyond 20 feet or so.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
I absolutely despise them. Some folks like them, but not me. Try making a 35 yard shot when you dont know exactly where to put the front sight on the rear sight. They are 7 yard and in combat sights, nothing more.

REALLY! Is it possible someone was off camera hitting a plate to represent him hitting it that far away?
smirk.gif

https://youtu.be/9DMRQLN2jiM

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
I knew upon arrival that those cheap factory sights had to geaux.

Did you shoot the factory sights? I've shot many of the sights available for Glocks and the factory sight with the big white U is as fast as anything else (for me). Just don't like the plastic?

Ive seen that video. Do you see the part where he takes 7-10 seconds to line everything up before he takes the shot? I can ring that steel plate in 2 seconds with a stock Glock 19 with stock sights. Not to mention that is his training range and he shoots every day. Not a very good endorsement of the product if you ask me.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff

Did you shoot the factory sights? I've shot many of the sights available for Glocks and the factory sight with the big white U is as fast as anything else (for me). Just don't like the plastic?

Yes, I shot almost 200 rounds so far and just didn't like the way the sights lined up. That, and I prefer metal sights. But, the latter is just cosmetics.

This. I've owned at least 50 Glocks. Ive owned big dot, straight 8, heinee, trijicon, meprolight, a smattering of others. You know what I learned to prefer after all these years? Stock sights. They ARE good.

Ive seen that video. Do you see the part where he takes 7-10 seconds to line everything up before he takes the shot? I can ring that steel plate in 2 seconds with a stock Glock 19 with stock sights. Not to mention that is his training range and he shoots every day. Not a very good endorsement of the product if you ask me.

The fact is, that IT IS possible to shoot targets at a distance with the XS-BD sights.
Let's see your opinion on this one;

https://youtu.be/2a3SHZVcSYI

It sounds like you're happy with them, and that's what's important. Probably not worth trying to convince others who aren't.

Yes, I am. But, there are numerous videos on YT showing how they can be used at long distances. That was another factor that was very important to me in my decision to buy them.

thumbsup2.gif
34.gif

I'm not seeing ANY advantage to using these sights at long distance. They seem to be far more of a hindrance than a help. How can you possibly line up that shallow wide V accurately shot to shot, when compared to a sharp, clear rear square notch? Let alone do it quickly. It's like comparing a large diameter peep sight to a small one at distance. In both of those videos, the shooter took a very long time to line up the sights before firing the first shot. I have 6 Glocks. 4 with stock sights, and 2 with Trijicon night sights. Both are far more acquirable than these things.

This. I've owned at least 50 Glocks. Ive owned big dot, straight 8, heinee, trijicon, meprolight, a smattering of others. You know what I learned to prefer after all these years? Stock sights. They ARE good.
Having dozens of different pistols with every sight imaginable through the years, I have to say the stock Glock sights were the easiest for me to adjust to using. Though I may replace them, I **think** that Glock sells a tritium version of the "drop in the bucket" sights and I need to look more into that before buying the Tru-Glo (though I really like the brightness of the fiber optics). In the end, we have to use what works best for each of us and the stock Glock sights may not be optimum for BOF, but they are for others.

[ Yes, I am. But, there are numerous videos on YT showing how they can be used at long distances. That was another factor that was very important to me in my decision to buy them.

thumbsup2.gif
34.gif

Can they be used at long range? Sure. Are they preferred? Maybe not. You can train yourself to use them at long range. Hopefully you'll be as accurate as you want with some practice.

Originally Posted By: billt460
I'm not seeing ANY advantage to using these sights at long distance. They seem to be far more of a hindrance than a help. How can you possibly line up that shallow wide V accurately shot to shot, when compared to a sharp, clear rear square notch? Let alone do it quickly. It's like comparing a large diameter peep sight to a small one at distance. In both of those videos, the shooter took a very long time to line up the sights before firing the first shot. I have 6 Glocks. 4 with stock sights, and 2 with Trijicon night sights. Both are far more acquirable than these things.

In all reality, you're most likely not going to be more that 20-30 ft. from a bad guy if you have to defend yourself. That being said, I was thinking more on those lines as to another reason why I bought them.
If I have to shoot a bad guy at a long distance, then, I will use my AR. But, most likely, he will be long gone by then.
But, it really doesn't matter if the shooters in the videos had waited a week to pull the trigger! They proved that the XS-BD sights are CAPABLE of being used to hit a target at a long distance!

They proved that the XS-BD sights are CAPABLE of being used to hit a target at a long distance!

A 14 foot sail boat is CAPABLE of crossing the Atlantic. Doesn't make it optimal. Or best. Or advised.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back