best vw oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
what you cannot get through your thick skull is, how VW specifications work.

VW lists all the performance properties and allowable weights.

There is no separate 5w40 specific VW502.00 specification.
There is no separate 0w40 specific VW502.00 specification
There is no separate 5w30 specific VW502.00 specification.
There is no separate 0w30 specific VW502.00 specification.

All allowable oil weights have to meet the same specification.

So, with your anecdotal argument, the Audi R8 with the V8, if Audi says VW502.00 is acceptable, then any weight that has the certification from VAG that says it meets VW502.00 can be used.

The R8 with the V10, VW502.00 isn't specified. VAG dug out an obsoleted oil spec (501.01), and updated it, to be a 10w60, specific for that engine.

And V8 comes with factory fill 0W30 (Castrol).
His argument is: Put 0W30 with HTHS 3.58 and engine will blow up. If you put Pennzoil 5W40 with HTHS of 3.6 it will be perfectly fine
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: SR1919
Nobody mentioned any of the high end Fuchs oils? Any comments on them please?

No experience with them personally, but I'd use any LL01/M229.5/A40/502/505 oil without hesitation.

Fuchs effectively own Liqui Moly and do make some real good oils, BUT their main market in engine oil terms is commercial vehicles, not petrol cars. They have their own refinery which produces about the best base stocks available which is used in all LM oils.
I often wonder if some of the LM oils are sold under 2 labels!

Back on topic, the VW specs that everyone keeps mentioning might be of interest to owners with a vehicle under warranty, but I would bear in mind that they are published for fuel economy and exhaust CAT or DPF certification reasons.
Those approvals are of more interest to petrol engine VW owners, but I would DYOR if you have a diesel TDI, as not many VW forum experts pay attention to them. They often ignore the DPF ash limits and viscosity requirements and select an oil that reduces wear rates and oil consumption to a minimum.

Last edited:
If your local AutoZone still has closeouts in stock, they have Pentosin 5W-30 in regular and low SAPS flavors as well as 5W40...all with VW approvals (different oils some different approvals.) $3.00 qt. amd $15.00 5 qt. jug.

Originally Posted By: tenderloin
If your local AutoZone still has closeouts in stock, they have Pentosin 5W-30 in regular and low SAPS flavors as well as 5W40...all with VW approvals (different oils some different approvals.) $3.00 qt. amd $15.00 5 qt. jug.

Seriously?
Need to check that!

Originally Posted By: UltrafanUK

Fuchs effectively own Liqui Moly and do make some real good oils, BUT their main market in engine oil terms is commercial vehicles, not petrol cars. They have their own refinery which produces about the best base stocks available which is used in all LM oils.
I often wonder if some of the LM oils are sold under 2 labels!

Back on topic, the VW specs that everyone keeps mentioning might be of interest to owners with a vehicle under warranty, but I would bear in mind that they are published for fuel economy and exhaust CAT or DPF certification reasons.
Those approvals are of more interest to petrol engine VW owners, but I would DYOR if you have a diesel TDI, as not many VW forum experts pay attention to them. They often ignore the DPF ash limits and viscosity requirements and select an oil that reduces wear rates and oil consumption to a minimum.

Thanks UltrafanUK. This was useful information regarding the relationship between Fuchs and Liqui Moly. I hope it is also useful to this topic of VW spec oils.

Fuchs effectively own Liqui Moly

In what way does "Fuchs effectively own Liqui Moly"? Does Ernst Prost know?

They have their own refinery which produces about the best base stocks available which is used in all LM oils.

Where is this refinery please? And what base oils does it make?

You may be waiting a while for a response as I believe UltrafanUK has left the building.

Unless of course his reincarnation answers you.

Originally Posted By: weasley
Fuchs effectively own Liqui Moly

In what way does "Fuchs effectively own Liqui Moly"? Does Ernst Prost know?
They have their own refinery which produces about the best base stocks available which is used in all LM oils.

Where is this refinery please? And what base oils does it make?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back