Headlights

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lost one last night (possibly two?), so looked in the manual. HB2's. Looked online and that crosses to both 9003 and H4. How did the same part wind up with 3 different names? Separate standards which morphed towards each other; or did company xyz make HBx's while abc did 9xxx's and some other company decided to market Hx's? and later on the numbering systems became generic (like how kleenix is now all facial tissues, Xerox is a company but to "xerox" something means to make a copy).

For my Camry I ended up purchasing new headlights for both sides. It included new bulbs and the visibility is great even if they are cheap light bulbs. I would consider that as an option and just drive something else until they come in. Mine were ordered through RockAuto and used a promo code off of ToyotaNation to save a bit. It was approximately $50 to my door.

My favorite H4's have always been Hella. I buy the regular or long life versions, not the "high performance." They last a long time.

In 1991, automakers wanted to use H4
headlight bulbs on cars in the US, but
the DOT decided engineering blueprints
for H4 bulbs allow too much variance in
the position of the filaments within the
bulb. So a new blueprint was made, with
all the electrical and dimensional proper-
ties the same, but with stricter limits on
filament placement variance. Because of
the limits in the US on beam intensity in
effect in 1991, the maximum allowable
light output tolerance was also reduced.
This new bulb specification was called
“9003/HB2”, because at the time, two
numbering conventions were in use.
Many 9003/HB2 bulbs also carry the
“H4” marking, and vice versa, because
it is possible to meet the specifications
in both blueprints at the same time. The
first headlamps with 9003 bulbs were on 1992 cars.

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
In 1991, automakers wanted to use H4
headlight bulbs on cars in the US, but
the DOT decided engineering blueprints
for H4 bulbs allow too much variance in
the position of the filaments within the
bulb. So a new blueprint was made, with
all the electrical and dimensional proper-
ties the same, but with stricter limits on
filament placement variance. Because of
the limits in the US on beam intensity in
effect in 1991, the maximum allowable
light output tolerance was also reduced.
This new bulb specification was called
“9003/HB2”, because at the time, two
numbering conventions were in use.
Many 9003/HB2 bulbs also carry the
“H4” marking, and vice versa, because
it is possible to meet the specifications
in both blueprints at the same time. The
first headlamps with 9003 bulbs were on 1992 cars.

So H4 is brighter than 9003 - kinda makes it a no-brainer..

Originally Posted By: Olas
So H4 is brighter than 9003 - kinda makes it a no-brainer..

H4: 1000/1650 lumens on low/high
HB2: 980/1590 lumens on low/high

An H4, at its nominal rating, is ever so slightly more luminescent, but an HB2 could easily be the better performer if its filament tolerance is tighter and a particular H4 bulb's filament is slightly out of position (but still allowed by the looser H4 specification).

I consider the difference to be negligible.

Google the Dodge Super Light (circa 1969) and see if that looks familiar ...
Heard the regulatory folks were not as impressed as the car buyer back then ...

Originally Posted By: supton
Lost one last night (possibly two?), so looked in the manual. HB2's. Looked online and that crosses to both 9003 and H4. How did the same part wind up with 3 different names?

US bulbs almost always have at least two designations. Its official designation will begin with an 'H' (such as HB2 or HB4), but they often have a trade number associated with that (such as 9003 or 9006). If you look at the front of your headlamp, it will have, molded into the plastic lens, the proper bulb. And it will list the official designation...HB2 in the case of your '99 Camry.

Interesting. Still seems odd to have three designations, but I figured it had to do with evolving standards.

Yes, I lost both low beams on my '99 Camry. I knew as soon as I left work that something was amiss, as the DRL's use low beam at full intensity 100% of the time. [DRL's on with engine, even in park. Some day I might fix that.] I stopped and verified that I had the parking lamps (yes), and rear brakes (yes), and high beam (yes). Looked in the manual, saw that I had four fuses, pulled left low beam; it was fine. Was running late so I went with it. Thankfully my lights are aligned low so I didn't annoy too many people (someone replaced before I bought, and I've been slowly aligning them).

This morning I pulled both bulbs, and left low is blown. Right low looks fine... so no idea why it quit. Picked up a pair of cheapo Sylvania Walmart specials this morning to see if it restores operation, or if I have something else amiss. [Probably will order some Osram Silverstars, last I knew they were the good things to have--either these will work "good enough" or they will be relegated to spares.] [Drove the truck today, as I needed headlights this morning, and will definitely need them tonight.]

Too bad I gave all my H4's to the guy who bought my Jetta. Too bad my '11 Camry has to take yet a different bulb!

Last edited:
The DRL thing annoys me on GMC - I put LED bulbs on all for corners and drive with park lights (daytime) just to preserve hours on my headlights ...

Honestly, I find the Sylvania Xtravision bulbs to be the best balance of more light and less life. I've used a smattering of Philips (Xtreme Vision), Osram (Osram Silverstar), and GE (Nighthawk Platinum) super high performance bulbs, and none have lasted more than about a year. The Philips Vision Plus and Sylvania Xtravision are both in the same market niche, a step down from the super premium bulbs, and they're what I've come to prefer. The Philips aren't as readily available (because Sylvania seems to have the market cornered on headlamp bulbs), but they both work equally well in my opinion. The Xtravisions in this spec (HB2/H4) are made in Germany by Osram, and they're quality units.

I, too, don't care for DRLs in general. Our MDX doesn't have them and Honda thoughtfully put separate and dedicated DRL lamps on the Ridgeline beginning in 2009. They're down next to the fog lamps (similar to the 2008-2013 MDX) and they take HB3 bulbs (often used in high beam applications, without the bulb tip coating) running at something like 30% intensity.

If it wasn't so hard to get to my "Integration Relay" (aka body control module) I'd have worked on the DRL by now. My two newer Toyota's don't have DRL's, why should this? [Ok, my '11 Camry has it, and automatic headlights, and we don't use either--both are options on the stalk. My Tundra has neither.] Rant over on DRL's--I actually don't care that much about it, but the auto-door lock is something I want to fix, along with the seatbelt chime.

I used to mail order Osram Silverstars, as "everyone" said they were what to use. And I'd get a year out of them. I did see Sylvania Xtravision bulbs but didn't bother, as I hadn't had time to research it.

Think I get more hours from my 1000w fishing lights than I did from Silverstar ...

I killed DRLs in my corolla by snipping the wire that told the module the ignition was on.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I killed DRLs in my corolla by snipping the wire that told the module the ignition was on.
thumbsup2.gif

might have to do that... when it warms up again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back