Compression OK?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been getting some vibration in steering wheel with trans in drive or reverse but not park (car not moving). Engine & trans mounts look ok so I thought I would do a compression check. Cold, with all plugs out, five cylinders were dead on 215 and one was 225. I would not ask if all of the cylinders were a little different +/- 5% but having five identical with one outlier makes me wonder. Engine is Toyota 1mzfe 6 banger with 135k miles. BTW, high cylinder was #5 and last one I checked. Should I be concerned? Thanks.

PS Spec is 218, minimum 145 and no more than 15 difference. Maybe my old girl is doing ok.

Last edited:
A weak/failing ignition coil can cause your symptoms. Does it get worse under acceleration?

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Did you test the compression with the throttle wide open?

Oops, missed that. Will it make much difference? I'll check an easy cylinder from Bank 2. I have a strong battery and cranked engine enough for reading to max out so I expect my numbers are good.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: irad
A weak/failing ignition coil can cause your symptoms. Does it get worse under acceleration?

No, it smooths out. This is why I did the compression test. I read a bad cylinder causing vibration at rest would be less apparent at cruising speed.

Likely an injector not firing full pattern...

Maybe just p**ing out one side. Lousy mixture at idle, as air flow and turbulence become more effective with RPM, it smooths out ...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Likely an injector not firing full pattern...

Maybe just p**ing out one side. Lousy mixture at idle, as air flow and turbulence become more effective with RPM, it smooths out ...

+1 Injector cleaner inexpensive to try (if you haven't tried that yet)

Those numbers look fine. Toyota 1MZ motors are usually very smooth at idle. Has this vehicle seen any recent work that involved removing the intakes?

I would also check the condition of the bushings inside the torque strut mount (the dog-bone mount in the engine bay) and also the rear mount.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Those numbers look fine. Toyota 1MZ motors are usually very smooth at idle. Has this vehicle seen any recent work that involved removing the intakes?

I would also check the condition of the bushings inside the torque strut mount (the dog-bone mount in the engine bay) and also the rear mount.

No recent work involving intake. Have to check my records but it has been 4-5 years since I had the intake manifold off. Dog bone looks good - replaced with factory unit a few years back. Rear mount has also been replaced with factory unit 8-10 years ago because I had to destroy the original one to remove half-shaft. Trans mount looks good too. Front mount is original. I might let my wife drop her in reverse while I jack-up motor a little to see if that reduces vibration.

Actually, after compression test, vibration is noticeably less. Maybe making/breaking ignition connectors helped but I am thinking a slug of bad gas as tank is quite low. Think I will add a couple bottles of Techron and see how things go.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Engine make?

Oops, should have included that info in first post
grin.gif

Last edited:
Been reading and apparently a failing torque converter can cause cabin/steering wheel vibration with stationary car in gear. One person said if vibration happens in drive and reverse but not in neutral, TQ is ok. Does this make sense? As far as I can tell, no other symptoms of failing TQ.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back