Going to build a new gaming PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've really missed playing computer games... seems like a lot of great games have come out in the past few years that look really appealing to me.

I have decided that I am going to build a new gaming PC... whoo!

So far, I have a 700watt EVGA Supernova and a Samsung 850 EVO SSD all ready for this new build (currently in my Sandy-Bridge Xeon Dell Precision). I will be waiting about a month or so to throw this thing together as I am eagerly waiting on Corsair to release the new RGB 570x tempered glass case. It is gorgeous.

I am having a tough time trying to pick between an X99 based Broadwell-E system or a more mainstream Z170 Skylake build. The thought of quad-channel memory and the additional PCIe lanes offered by the i7-6800k+ and X99 look very appealing versus the 20 PCIe lanes of the Skylake. However, it appears as if Skylake utilizes these lanes more efficiently. My goal some day will to be running two modern GPUs in SLI. Apparently running two modern GPUs in SLI, even both at 8x, still doesn't make for (much of or any) a bottleneck.

I am also concerned that the 2011-3 socket is probably in it's last iteration with the Broadwell-E. Where as 1151 with Skylake still have some more revisions to be had.

Other miscellaneous details will be:

Watercooled with Corsair H115i
i7 6700K if Skylake or i7 6800k with Broadwell-E
32GB of RAM DDR4
External USB 3.0 Blu-Ray
MSI 1070 Seahawk X

Any opinions on the Skylake vs Broadwell-E?

Gaming is more addictive than drugs these days...if you managed to stay away for so long, why give up now?

I went cold turkey about 3 years ago after playing WOT for 1 year at least 3 hours a day...

I would personally go with Skylake or at least wait for the new CPU's to launch. Skylake has better per core performance and if your looking to game then that's really the highest priority.

If you're going to multi task a lot or video edit then maybe the x99 however core performance beats core count every day of the week when it comes to gaming. It's just recently where a lot of games are fully utilizing a quad core. The Z170 boards are also a lot cheaper and in the benchmarks there is only about a 10% difference between the x99 6800k vs the Z170 6700k which says a good bit about the difference in core performance. The i7 6700k is also a good bit cheaper and the with a good overclock will make up a good bit for the difference of the 2 cores 4 threads.

I think the 5820k would be a better option then the 6800k there is not a huge gap between the two and the 5820k will be a good bit cheaper as well. Nothing wrong with the 6800k but there is better options for less and in gaming the 6700k will do better and cost less, the 5820k is kinda the middle ground of the two if you need more cores (be it as worse core performance) but you can save some spare coins for other components and the 6800k if you want it because you want it.

Last edited:
You can't go wrong with Skylake, the 6700k will serve you fine for gaming. Content creation the 6800k would have an edge for sure. Although AMD Zen is coming in two months. Supposedly it beats the 6800k..
wink.gif

Yeah the more I look, I think I should go with Skylake. There looks to be future advancements coming out for the platform (1151) and the specs currently are decent!

I love this case:
http://www.corsair.com/en-us/crystal-series-570x-rgb-atx-mid-tower-case

And this motherboard:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130937

Never tried tons of MSI stuff. Always have used ASRock motherboards or (even longer ago) ASUS. Kinda be cool to have the board and GPU MSI, case and cooling by Corsair (the Seahawk X MSI 1070 is partnered with Corsair for liquid cooling). Now to pick my memory. Do I dare go Corsair Dominator? I am not rich but this time around, I want a nice clean build. Something I can use for 5-6 years and really take pride in... and be able to play some of these games with my buddies.

And here I am trying to build a $200 budget web surfer for my new garage. I wonder who's got the more challenging task?
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: redhat
Never tried tons of MSI stuff. Always have used ASRock motherboards or (even longer ago) ASUS. Kinda be cool to have the board and GPU MSI, case and cooling by Corsair (the Seahawk X MSI 1070 is partnered with Corsair for liquid cooling).

I use MSI whenever I can and have never been disappointed. Reliable, clean GUIs, solid performance.

http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/cpu/85193-intel-core-i7-6700k-14nm-skylake/

According to that article, I'm led to believe that a Skylake i7 6700k on a Z170 chipset has 36 PCIe lanes. 16 of course to the GPU, but an additional 20 to... whatever.

Perhaps it is time to get a couple of M.2 PCIe x4 SSDs in RAID 0.
smile.gif

Just didn't want there to be a bottleneck with PCIe lanes, but the more I read... I don't think this will be an issue for me.

Originally Posted By: redhat
http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/cpu/85193-intel-core-i7-6700k-14nm-skylake/

According to that article, I'm led to believe that a Skylake i7 6700k on a Z170 chipset has 36 PCIe lanes. 16 of course to the GPU, but an additional 20 to... whatever.

Perhaps it is time to get a couple of M.2 PCIe x4 SSDs in RAID 0.
smile.gif

Just didn't want there to be a bottleneck with PCIe lanes, but the more I read... I don't think this will be an issue for me.

You should be good I know a few people running 980ti's in SLI with a 6700k at its heart.

Hey redhat - you should really see if you can swing a GTX 1080. I am a big fan of the MSI 1080 line.

https://www.amazon.com/MSI-GTX-1080-GAMING-3DisplayPort/dp/B01GLYD7MG

I built my computer almost 2 years ago.

I run the MSI 980Ti with 4790K i7 @4.4Ghz.
The 4790k is till very competitive with any of the new stuff.

Samsung Pro 960GB SSD

32 GB ram

850 watt Dark Quiet! PS

Asus Z97A MB

30" Dell 3011U monitor

Sweet combo

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back