Mobil 1 0W-40 Cleaning Ability

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I started using Mobil 1 0W-40 in our SUV. According to the PDS, it "Provides exceptional cleaning power for dirty engines"
Well, I have been looking down the oil fill cap with a flashlight since I started using the oil. It is proving to be true, what I could see of the valve train, most of the metal has a layer of yellowish/orange varnish. Now, the metal is becoming cleaner, particularly, the shaft just behind the gears of the DOHC. It is turning silvery and shiny again, like brand new metal.

When I started using the oil, I wasn't really expecting much, but, I am pleasantly surprised and pleased.

It is interesting to watch.

My wife's 97 civic had a steady diet of Mobil 1 5w-30 for 4-5 years and it's spotless inside.

I had a 98 sienna that I bought used and there was lots of varnish and small bits of sludge in the top end. Mobil 1 couldn't make a miracle happen in cleaning that motor. I think the cleaning ability depends on both the motor design and oil used as well as reasonable OCI and other maintenance items like PCV valves.

Valvoline did better on my Subaru, but what really matters is ring lands and CC buildup. But what if oil causes preig due to organo metallic crusting up in the CC and valve seats? Light varnish on the cyl head is not a concern.
Pay attention to some thing REALLY important instead.

Originally Posted By: david_ES2
Varnish will never go away with just oil alone, trust me i tried...

Light varnish can. The hard, baked on stuff, no, it likely won't. I had good luck removing it from our Expedition using various oils changed at sane intervals. On the other hand, I had absolutely nothing to show for trying the same on the baked on junk found in our Focus.

I have used M1 oils for 38 years and have never had an engine show signs of varnish. Both of my Fords look like new through the oil fill hole.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
This the ACEA MB/VAG/ spec 40 grade ?

I bought it this spring for the Mobil spring rebate. It is the 0W-40 European formula. It is not the new FS version.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KingCake
A little varnish is normal. Removing it has zero benefit.

Our SUV is a 2001 Isuzu Trooper. We bought it new, and have maintained it with synthetic oils from the start. The engine is clean for the most part, the varnish is very light, more like surface discoloration more than varnish. I tried and am using the Mobil 1 0W-40 more for maintaining the current cleanness, I am not worried about a tiny bit of varnish.
I wasn't really expecting anything when I started, didn't think it would do anything, so that is why I think it is interesting I can see the Mobil 1 oil turning the metal a clean, silvery shiny color again.

I would have been content and happy with good wear protection and keeping the engine from having any new varnish or deposits, I wasn't expecting it to clean so well.

Originally Posted By: njohnson
Originally Posted By: KingCake

Our SUV is a 2001 Isuzu Trooper. We bought it new, and have maintained it with synthetic oils from the start. The engine is clean for the most part, the varnish is very light, more like surface discoloration more than varnish. I tried and am using the Mobil 1 0W-40 more for maintaining the current cleanness, I am not worried about a tiny bit of varnish.
I wasn't really expecting anything when I started, didn't think it would do anything, so that is why I think it is interesting I can see the Mobil 1 oil turning the metal a clean, silvery shiny color again.

I would have been content and happy with good wear protection and keeping the engine from having any new varnish or deposits, I wasn't expecting it to clean so well.

Nice to see another Trooper owner on here... how many miles on it? Have you always run a 40 weight?

Glad the M1 is working well for you!

Ran my 5.7L on M1 5w-30 for 16 years. 6 months ago I switched to M1 0w-40 for a stronger HTHS, and a non-sodium add pack. Half-way through this OCI can't say I see any real big difference in cleaning ability...or the oil getting any dirtier.

Originally Posted By: NocturnalG
KingCake said:

"Nice to see another Trooper owner on here... how many miles on it? Have you always run a 40 weight?

Glad the M1 is working well for you!"

Our Trooper has 156,000 miles on it. No, we used 30 weights at first and for many years. Maybe 7 or 8 years. We were using Amsoil 30 weight oils. When we retired our 1991 F-150 from going to the farmer's market, we started using the Trooper for the market. I started using 40 weight then because we started towing cargo trailers loaded with produce and chest freezers, wanted the thicker oil in the engine, especially during the summer.

How many miles on your Trooper?

One thing we did really changes how our Trooper's engine runs. We used Lube Control's FP 3000 in it. It makes the engine run so smooth my brother was commenting on how smooth it was.

Last edited:
I owned a trooper for a very long time. The heavier weights definitely did a better job in the trooper. The 3.5 was very prone to shearing the oil and the oil would thin quickly. It also did not do well with longer service intervals. That being said I had way more than 200k when I sold mine.

Originally Posted By: NocturnalG
KingCake said:

"Nice to see another Trooper owner on here... how many miles on it? Have you always run a 40 weight?

Glad the M1 is working well for you!"

Our Trooper has 156,000 miles on it. No, we used 30 weights at first and for many years. Maybe 7 or 8 years. We were using Amsoil 30 weight oils. When we retired our 1991 F-150 from going to the farmer's market, we started using the Trooper for the market. I started using 40 weight then because we started towing cargo trailers loaded with produce and chest freezers, wanted the thicker oil in the engine, especially during the summer.

How many miles on your Trooper?

One thing we did really changes how our Trooper's engine runs. We used Lube Control's FP 3000 in it. It makes the engine run so smooth my brother was commenting on how smooth it was.
Originally Posted By: maintenanceMan
I owned a trooper for a very long time. The heavier weights definitely did a better job in the trooper. The 3.5 was very prone to shearing the oil and the oil would thin quickly. It also did not do well with longer service intervals. That being said I had way more than 200k when I sold mine.

I have around 52-53k miles on my Trooper. I can these engines shouldn't have 30 weights being put in them. In Australia, Holden suggests no less than a 40 weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back