Ed's Red lube too thin?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, was just curious of your thoughts on the Ed's Red lube- I made some up today over lunch and it seemed really thin... To clarify, I'm talking about the part in the instructions where they say you can divert a certain amount to a separate container to be used as a lubricant BEFORE adding the acetone and mineral spirits. So it would typically be equal parts ATF and kerosene (with some lanolin added if you desire).

After fooling around with the mix as equal parts, I added an additional part of ATF (so 2 parts ATF, 1 part kerosene) as well as near an once of lanolin and it's still pretty darned thin.

What would it be suited for? I suppose it'd be fine for wheel guns, shotguns, bolt actions, maybe a 1911 style pistol... But what about AR's and poly framed pistols with just a couple little tabs for rails like M&Ps and Glocks?

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Here it says it is a Bore Cleaner. I don't think it was meant to be a lubricant:

http://handloads.com/articles/default.asp?id=9

Read a little farther down in the article you linked to and you'll find this:

Quote:
I recommend diverting a small quantity, up to 4 ozs. per quart of the
50-50 ATF/kerosene mix for optional use as an "ER-compatible" gun oil.
This can be done without impairing the effectiveness of the remaining
mix.

I always looked at it as a cleaner/penetrant. Some recipes contain lanolin and that may lend to better rust prevention and probably a bit better lubrication.

The biggest problem I have with "Ed's Red" is the Acetone. That stuff is nasty, and will attack plastic. (Something modern weapons are full of). And it can and will damage urethane gun stock finishes. There are much safer cleaners out there that work as well, if not better. And you don't run the risk of them damaging anything.

Originally Posted By: billt460
The biggest problem I have with "Ed's Red" is the Acetone. That stuff is nasty, and will attack plastic. (Something modern weapons are full of). And it can and will damage urethane gun stock finishes. There are much safer cleaners out there that work as well, if not better. And you don't run the risk of them damaging anything.

Acetone is nasty stuff. Mineral spirits is much more gentle and properly thins the stuff down.

I always use 50/50 acetone and ATF as a general penetrant in the shop. I have unstuck countless motors that had the rings rusted to the block with it. Makes breaking down an old engine so much easier.

I've used it for years as a cleaner. I do not use it as a lube. My mix skips the acetone and just uses odorless mineral spirits, kerosene and DEX3.

Using it to clean my press and dies has kept them rust-free.

Smelly, stinky, makes a mess, stains your clothes, cheap, decent cleaner.

I dont get the point today. If I had a reason to lubricate/clean a lot of shop tools, I could see making up a batch. If the apocalypse is kicking off, make up a huge batch and make sure all your friends and neighbors have a few ounces to maintain their weapons.

I think it had an application in WW2 with limited supply lines.

I really dont see the point today. Not to mention, caustic dangerous chemicals.

I'm pretty sure everyone missed what was said. So far all the comments center around the acetone and its effects.

Take note that I specifically stated that there is NO acetone or mineral spirits in this. Look at my posts.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
I'm pretty sure everyone missed what was said. So far all the comments center around the acetone and its effects.

Take note that I specifically stated that there is NO acetone or mineral spirits in this. Look at my posts.

The CORRECT formulation for "Ed's Red" includes Acetone.

Bill, did you read the link or quoted excerpt from the link? That's what I'm referring to. All I'm looking for is input on THAT PARTICULAR mix- not the bore cleaner. So, what are your thoughts on it?

Eric, to answer your question directly, Yes ATF and Kerosene mix is going to be thin. On top of that, neither of them are particularly good lubricants or rust preventers and they both stink.

If you really want to try a homebrew gun lube, 3 parts HDEO 20w-50 (or 15w-40 if you like it a little thinner) to 1 part ATF works a lot better and doesn't smell as strong.

The original ed's red bore solvent is a decent old school bore cleaner/penetrant but it comes with most of the disadvantages that the old technology bore solvents come with. Highly flammable, toxic, stinky, bad for wood and plastic, ETC. If none of that bothers you, give it a shot.

There are so many better gun care products out there nowadays. I would rather spend my time and money experimenting with them but that is just me - Cheers!

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
And old Vietnam era grunt I know uses a 50/50 mix of Mobil 1 15w50 and blue bottle STP for his guns.

That's got to be some thick stuff!

It is pretty thick. I tried it out once. The nice thing about it is that it certainly sticks to where you put it versus thinner oils. It is sort of like a compromise between grease and oil.

I have used straight blue bottle STP on bolt lugs in the past. As you said, it certainly sticks to where you apply it. Now I've found that Weapon Shield straight Lithium Grease works just as well, and is easier to clean up after a day of shooting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back