02 Silverado 5.3L Need tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just left C_S_C_ Wholesale and got a quote for 4 Michelin Defender Tires 255x70x16 ( 70,000 mile warranty)

Its a new tire and they want over $700 (installed)

Just seems like its not worth it anymore, when you consider the 1 to 2 hour waiting period to get them balanced and rotated.

Looking for a new place, online or tire store, to purchase 4 solid tires

Any advice is greatly appreciated

I love those tires. I would recommend them. Too bad you couldn't come stop by our shop in central Iowa. The tire shop that I work for has a deal for a set of 4 Michelin Tires and 70 dollar rebate thing. 1-2 hours is outrageous wait time. I could have 4 tires mounted and balanced in less than an hour! In fact the quickest time I have done a set of four tires was 25 mind from unbolting them to demounting, replacing the valve stems, buffing the bead, putting the tires on balance and put on the car. That also included torquing the lug nuts too. You could look into TireRack for buying those tires. I just can't see how it can be 2 hours wait time.

I would definitely recommend the Michelin though. There is a reason why they are more expensive than all other tires out there. The build quality is far superior to other tires. And when they balance, they take far less weight to balance out than say Goodyear or Hercules.
Just my. 02

Not a bad price, but you don't want to wait. An online tire store isn't going to help with the wait. 1-2 hours isn't bad. Yea maybe it only takes 25 minutes to balance and install your tires, but where is the shop that keeps employees, and a bay available for Gito because he doesn't like to wait?

That is a great tire. We have them on our Acadia and I have the LTX M/S 2's on my Silverado and they are nice and quiet, great traction and long lasting.

Discount Tire has a sale , I just bought 4 Bridgestone Alenza tires for my Chevy Avalanche 265/70=18 for @146 each Total mount balance was $689 otd. that's a 80.000 mile tire..

There is no black and white on LT vs P metric in 150/1500 series - the large/heavy SUV's run P metric ...
Lot of good reading on this - first hand I ruined the ride on a high end Yukon with LT ...(And she reminded me often)
Comes down to what you do with the vehicle and knowing there can be a difference in ride/handling ...
On my midsize - I lost stability with LT and went back to P285 ... but don't tow enough weight to need more air pressure...
When I had - and had need for 250/2500 on up - no doubt LT ...

Specific vehicle forums can be a good place to get this info ...

Originally Posted By: userfriendly
KO2's $780. A light truck should have light truck (LT) tires.

No reason for a half-ton truck to have LT tires if not towing/hauling frequently.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: userfriendly
Zero reason to mount car tires on a light truck.

I guess that's why most new half tons come with non-LT tires. Yes some come with LT-with the max tow pkg. Without that package most come with non-LT tires when new.

Originally Posted By: Mr_Joe
Take your spare(new I assume) buy three matching tires off eBay.

Doesn't work that way-with trucks. Depending on the wheel option the wheel for the spare will be a different size.

I have 20" wheels on my Silverado and the spare is actually a 17" spare.

Can't believe the misinformed-misinformation on this thread.

CKN;
Are you telling us that 275/55/20 P-rated tires are a good choice for a 7600 lb. GVW truck pulling a 12,000 lb trailer?
How about P285/45/22s on an off-road Z-71, good idea or completely stupid?
Now let's add deep snow, and in your opinion "there is zero reason to mount LT tires on a half ton truck".

CKN,7,600 lbs. is almost 4 tons.

Please explain.

Found some Bridgestone Dueler Al+ 255/70r16 for $582.06.
80,000 mile warranty.
Rotated, installed and balanced

Truck is mostly used for highway driving.
No towing or hauling

I don't think it's a good idea to carry a different size spare tire with a truck. Most any I've seem(stock) carry the same size spare?

In CA I doubt if mud & snow come into play very often, though it could vary depending on particulars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back