Differential Advice for 2004 4Runner

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpa

I'm going through a season of maintenance on my 2004 4runner V6, SR5. I have 165k on the odometer, never changed my rear differential. Feel like I need to
smile.gif

I've read that 75W 90 is a popular weight for daily drivers. I don't do any towing as a practice, but may do so once every few years. I live in the Southeast and we don't get extreme cold temps down here.

Looking at Mobil One 75W 90 synthetic but a few posters in a 4runner forum warn against the move to synthetic. Many other haven't had an issue.

Need advice on 2 items please.

1. Are there any genuine risks to going synthetic? If so - what are they?
2. Is my mileage too high to change the differential?

thanks guys!!

Jon

Ran M1 gear oil for 20 years - it's not that popular here - but that means nothing to me.

We always ran M1 or RP in the rear diff of our toyota previa. Worked perfect until a hurricane destroyed the van with nearly 250k.

Personally, Id run Amsoil SVG.

The oldest vehicle I own is a '97 4Runner that I bought new. These days it's mostly just my winter driver, and occasional Fourwheeling/exploration ride. I've used Mobil 1 75w90 in the front diff and rear axle since it had 1k miles on it. No problems ever, in fact it still drives like new.

Really good stuff. Should I flush the differential if I decide to make the change to Synthetic?

I forget the guy's name at the moment but he just rebuilt the differential on his 4Runner. I think it was a 1998 with a ton of miles on it. He recently drove it from Florida to Michigan. You may want to look around the forum for it. I might be able to find it then you can PM him.

edit: tons of pictures and it's an 87.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthr...LS_#Post4248806

Last edited:
Big time. Thanks SatinSilver and thanks to all for chiming in. Great forum! Will follow up and let you know what I did.

Any brand name 75w90 will be fine and will most likely be the last time u change this fluid in your truck. I would use delo full syn 75w90 from autozone $6 ea

I think if you changed it with anything it would be beneficial. I wouldn't waste money where it isn't needed... Supertech makes a fine gear oil.

For my 03 V8 4Runner I switched to Red Line gear oil at 30K and have changed it at somewhere around 90K and I'm going to change it again next week at 160K. This vehicle gets a lot of hard use on poor roads and excuses for roads often towing a trailer in the 5-6K weight range. So far no problems.

I have used any low cost brand gear oil of correct viscosity/application that was present at the store when I needed it. It's gear oil, nothing fancy about it and I won't waste my money on all that expensive stuff(synthetic). I would only consider synthetic for a manual transmission, to aid in cold temperature shifting if I were in Alaska.Supertech has worked for me on several occasions.Regarding your second question, why do you want to change the differential? Is it broke? If you mean the gear oil, it's never to late.

Last edited:
Lubener, yes...the oil, should have clarified.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Amsoil SG 75W110, RL 75W110, M1 75W90/110.

They are all priced identically +/- $1/$2, but generally Amsoil SG is the way to go.

Stopped by the dealership and overpaid for 2 crush gaskets, $4.23 or so. Then, I asked them (out of curiosity) what they recommended for diff oil and they indicated initially that it was 80W 90.

Then, another guy pulled up a TSB from 11/8/2007 to show that Toyota now recommends 75W 85.

I realize it won't hurt if I go 75W 90 or 80W 90, but wanted to share what I learned from them.

Your original plan is solid - you can find it at Auto Zone and many other stores ...

What viscosity does the owner's manual specify for the rear differential gear oil?

Some Toyota trucks of that era specify 75W140.

Originally Posted By: jpa
I'm going through a season of maintenance on my 2004 4runner V6, SR5. I have 165k on the odometer, never changed my rear differential. Feel like I need to
smile.gif

I've read that 75W 90 is a popular weight for daily drivers. I don't do any towing as a practice, but may do so once every few years. I live in the Southeast and we don't get extreme cold temps down here.

Looking at Mobil One 75W 90 synthetic but a few posters in a 4runner forum warn against the move to synthetic. Many other haven't had an issue.

Need advice on 2 items please.

1. Are there any genuine risks to going synthetic? If so - what are they?
2. Is my mileage too high to change the differential?

thanks guys!!

Jon

My owners manual is missing a few pages. Everything I've read about dealer recommendation is 80W 90. Most DIY'ers I've read vary but a popular weight is 75W 90.

Now the dealer recommends 75W 85. This is not a common weight (in my small scope of knowledge) and is not easily found (Probably by design).

Originally Posted By: jpa
My owners manual is missing a few pages. Everything I've read about dealer recommendation is 80W 90. Most DIY'ers I've read vary but a popular weight is 75W 90.

Now the dealer recommends 75W 85. This is not a common weight (in my small scope of knowledge) and is not easily found (Probably by design).

The 75w85 recommendation is just due to their wanting to sell Toyota branded gear oil in that uncommon viscosity, and saving fractionally on MPG, during fuel economy testing for CAFE.

You asked specifically about Mobil 1 75w90. I've used it for nearly 20 years now in a 4Runner that has essentially the same differential as your '06. A little wider housing and axle shafts, and different gearing not withstanding.

Any of the other recommendations will be fine too. I'll likely use Redline gear oil at the next change on my 4Runner, mostly because I can get it nearly for free, and it's a great performer in my experience.

If I were buying at regular retail, I'd likely go with the Chevron Delo XDM 75w90 synthetic, which was also recommended.

I've built too many differentials to remember. Your application just isn't a high-stress situation. Any of the mentioned gear oils will be an improvement over the old gear oil you have now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back