Takes a licking'

Status
Not open for further replies.
A guy decides to lose control of his accord and kicks the rear end of my car out from under me on I95; Did a 120 degree skidding rotation and came to a stop.

His accord, not so good. (front and back damage)

Despite the age/mileage of the car, insurance says it is fixable. I'm thinking of pocketing the $$ since I was able to get the trunk closed and there appears to be no alignment issues.

This is the fourth incident in 13 years of owning this car.

1) I rear ended someone in a 'setting sun' situation; the whole front of the car was rebuilt
2) Major deer strike in which a payloader was called to remove the remains.
3) tree falling on it a few months after #2
4) This "dry weather" perhaps txting event that happened behind me.

Interesting enough I had just picked up my parents 2004 prius (65K, dealer maintained w/records , no snow) and had driven it back from western VA the week before. In fact the drum brakes still are cast grey.... So I have at least a longer lasting vehicle in the wings when this one dies.

Spent today draining the black WS fluid in the prius and refilling with D4.

Frankly, I am impressed with the prius, but it was a purchase of convenience not love. I don't want to really own that much technology. It really isn't 'me'

The echo is 'me'.

Regards.

Last edited:
Pocket the cash. My Camry was totaled (same corner) earlier this year. Looks way worse than yours.I bought back the car and drive it around as is, just halfway bolted on a junkyard taillight and it's good to go.

I'm surprised that thing hasn't turned into a pile of rust so far.

Quote:

I'm surprised that thing hasn't turned into a pile of rust so far.

There's a world of difference depending on what part of New England one may be in.

SE New England often gets rain, when other areas are pounded with snow.

Magnesium chloride is used on the roads, but it pales in comparison to what eljefino or supton deals with.

Toyota did a great job in corrosion resistance on this vehicle. Ford, not so good on the b2300.

Sorry that happened to you Simple_Gifts. That car is both lucky...and cursed.

2 lane "super-highway" in our neck of the woods can be fun at times. I try to avoid it as much as a I can, especially the 8-10 miles from Waterford to Old Lyme.

Glad you're OK. I guess if your insurance runs a set of lowest bidder shops as referrals, they can get that pulled/bondo'd/replaced with chinese faux parts of junkyard pulls and painted cheap.

My only concern would be if there is opportunity for water to enter in by the tail light, or if the paint is damaged such that rust can start to form.

Assuming neither, I think you just drive it a bit more until its a goner... Especially with the history the car has already had...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back