02 Silverado 5.3L (LT) Rear wheel bearings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Own a 2002 Chevy Silverado 5.3L with 311k miles.

How do I check to see if the rear wheel bearings are bad or worn?
The rear right tire is badly worn (evenly worn) and can't think about anything else other than a tire balance issue or a bad bearing.

The rear tires do have play when I use the 12 and 6 o'clock hand position to shake the wheel but since the wheel is on a shaft I'm not so sure if the play indicates anything wrong.

I have new shocks (Biltstein) at the front and rear.

How much play on the wheel is considered normal?

Any recommendation is greatly appreciated

Please advise

The GM 10 bolt rear end has axleshafts held in by c-clips. If you want to visually inspect the bearings and wear in the axleshaft (axle rides on the bearings itself, bearings have no inner race) you have to remove the diff cover to remove the c-clips holding the axles in order to pull the axles out.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kibitoshin
The GM 10 bolt rear end has axleshafts held in by c-clips. If you want to visually inspect the bearings and wear in the axleshaft (axle rides on the bearings itself, bearings have no inner race) you have to remove the diff cover to remove the c-clips holding the axles in order to pull the axles out.

Does this mean that the 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock or 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock shake is not a good way for checking if the rear bearings are bad?

I feel play on both rear wheels. Is having play at the rear wheel s normal?

It could very well be that the rear worn tire was previously at the front and maybe I should be checking the front wheel and hubs.

I do remember the balance weights flying off twice after being rotated and balanced at Costco

If the bearings are worn it will throw rear end oil everywhere. And to add the bearings ride on the axle shaft. You replace both if the bearing goes bad.Do not bother with the axle saver bearings.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
If the bearings are worn it will throw rear end oil everywhere. And to add the bearings ride on the axle shaft. You replace both if the bearing goes bad.Do not bother with the axle saver bearings.

Looks like I might NOT have bad bearings. I don't see any oil leaking

Not sure how much play the rear wheels are supposed to have.

Originally Posted By: Gito
Originally Posted By: Chris142

Looks like I might NOT have bad bearings. I don't see any oil leaking

They shouldn't have any play. Time for new bearings.

If it is to the point that there is that much movement you could have a nasty groove on the axle shafts. Also if you let it go long enough it could have damaged the pumpkin.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
If it is to the point that there is that much movement you could have a nasty groove on the axle shafts. Also if you let it go long enough it could have damaged the pumpkin.
+1, thought about that after I posted.

My Jeep had a bad bearing that scored the axle shaft bad, wasn't fixable. I swapped in a whole new axle.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Chris142 said:
I don't see any oil leaking

They shouldn't have any play. Time for new bearings.

Yup, if there is play and they're not leaking oil, there's not enough oil in the axle to leak out. That could be the cause of the wear in the first place.

I'm going to have to just tackle the job and replace the bearings for insurance.

It will be my first time replacing bearings on the rear of a Chevy so I hope it all goes well.

I will then report back the condition of the axles and bearings

Is there anything else that I might need while I'm replacing the bearings and working in that area?

I'm also getting a differential cover gasket and the axle seals

These are the part numbers that I have:
12479031 Bearings (Qty 2)
12471686 Axle Seals (Qty 2)
15807693 Cover Gasket (Qty 1)

Since you're in the buying mood, get a new differential cross pin retaining bolt. I've plenty that have had wear, plus they have a thread locker applied to them, and for as cheap as they are, it's worth it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Since you're in the buying mood, get a new differential cross pin retaining bolt.

Is that the larger pin that gets pushed up and is held by the smaller horizontal bolt?

Or are you referring to the bolt (horizontal) that holds that large pin?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: The_Eric
No, it's the smaller 5/16" headed bolt.

Part#?
Im trying to look for it on the schematic

Own a 2002 Chevy Silverado 5.3L with 311k miles.

I have this same truck. Currently at 140k. Hope mine makes it till 300k!

The movement you could be feeling is the axle sliding in and out. They will do that a little no matter what. The shafts don't but up tight to the cross pin.

At over 300k just make sure that there is enough oil in it and don't worry about it unless it leaks. If it lasted this long without rusting apart it is gonna wear out on something worse than that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jhellwig
The movement you could be feeling is the axle sliding in and out. They will do that a little no matter what. The shafts don't but up tight to the cross pin.

At over 300k just make sure that there is enough oil in it and don't worry about it unless it leaks. If it lasted this long without rusting apart it is gonna wear out on something worse than that.

Need to check that. I just remembered that the last time I filled the Differential I broke off that piece of plastic that details that only synthetic oil should be used

if the bearings go you should be able to hear it.
helped a friend replace them in an 89.
he is nearly deaf and both heard and felt it.they were beyond shot.
and the note on the repair bearings is spot on.tried that twice on my g20's and they lasted about 20kor leaked in short order.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back