Toyota Tacoma frames part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 02SE
Originally Posted By: VNTS
Kibitoshin said:
At least Toyota issued a recall and offered to replace frames at no cost. I had a recall notice for a 2001 Toyota Tundra to being the truck to the dealer to inspect the rear cross-bracing where the spare tire resides and replace x-brace if rust is bad. The pile of old and pallets of new Tacoma frames in the back of the shop is a bit surprising. I live in a tropical area so the salt is in the air and vehicles still rust moderately bad here.

no, they just lost a 3.4 Billion Dollar lawsuit on their frames.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies...suit/ar-AAkfyfK

Also, I love how folks on here blame the supplier, Toyota provides the specs for the frame, coatings process etc.

They also certify the vendors process and perform internal audits at the vendors plant. Toyota would also have incoming material inspection in their assembly plants, anyone who worked in manufacturing would understand this. Obviously they have a huge pattern failure in that the frames are sub-standard and Toyota got burned yet again by rust. This one is on Toyota, another dent in their supposed quality!

You seem to have missed the fact that this thread exists because of the latest class-action suit. Furthermore, Toyota won a multi-million dollar suit against Dana Corp for their not producing the frames in a manner agreed to by both parties.

Then why did they use the frames if Toyota knew were sub-standard??? If that is the case then Toyota will knowingly use sub-standard parts and will only warranty if they get sued and lose lawsuits!

And I provided the link since people on here infer that Toyota is doing the recall voluntarily, no they fought it and lost a lawsuit.

Originally Posted By: VNTS

Then why did they use the frames if Toyota knew were sub-standard??? If that is the case then Toyota will knowingly use sub-standard parts and will only warranty if they get sued and lose lawsuits!

And I provided the link since people on here infer that Toyota is doing the recall voluntarily, no they fought it and lost a lawsuit.

First of all, learn how to quote. I cleaned up your messed up quote, so words would be properly attributed.

Secondly, don't be so obtuse. I and others already acknowledged that Toyota should have been more diligent in verifying that frames they received from Dana Corp, were properly made. They didn't. They chose to trust that Dana Corp was making the frames to the standard they agreed upon, and as a result got burned by frames that didn't have the correct rustproofing, and subsequently found themselves with unhappy owners with prematurely rusting frames. Toyota did win a lawsuit against Dana Corp over the issue, and has been replacing frames on trucks that were affected.

This latest suit against Toyota is a direct result of the fact that Toyota trusted Dana Corp to do as they agreed to. That apparently misplaced trust in Dana Corp will cost Toyota dearly.

Originally Posted By: 02SE

This latest suit against Toyota is a direct result of the fact that Toyota trusted Dana Corp to do as they agreed to. That apparently misplaced trust in Dana Corp will cost Toyota dearly.

Toyota is quite resilient, compared to say Honda or VW when it comes to handling recalls and their image. What might happen next is Toyota dropping Dana as a supplier and either bringing it back in-house or maybe having Magna or Tower build their frames. Since the Tacoma is a Hilux built for American tastes and with a wider chassis, I doubt Toyota wants to send in tooling from Thailand or Japan just to build frames in San Antonio or Mexico.

Toyota does work closely with their menagerie of suppliers(Denso/Aisin/Advics/Tokai Rika) - but when it comes to 3rd party suppliers, it boils down to trust.

We have a huge QAQC team - most common thing we find is most have a good quality plan - and then the plant does not follow it. How do we know ? By putting our people on the shop floor every day ...

In God we trust - all others - witness the process ...

Originally Posted By: 4WD
We have a huge QAQC team - most common thing we find is most have a good quality plan - and then the plant does not follow it. How do we know ? By putting our people on the shop floor every day ...

In God we trust - all others - witness the process ...

That's why 5S, poka yoke, etc gets implemented. Make it so that the operator can't make a mistake. Bar code readers, only the items they need are in the work area, parts and connectors that can be only installed one way, the list goes on.

And then you do CI's. And then your customer does their own incoming inspection on material (to whatever acceptance level they deem required, from visual to full test). And whenever a defect is found, out comes the 8D etc to figure out how and why, and how it won't happen again.

So glad I don't work in that area...

Originally Posted By: GenSan
Rusted frames, run-away vehicles, sludged engines, Japan's narcissistic emperor Hirohito during WWII, attack on Pearl Harbor, gold standard brand for terrorists, etc, etc, etc:

It boggles my mind that Toyota's still hold excellent resale value at 5 and even 10 years and older vehicles even through all the negativity.

You must be a hoot at parties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back