21 Years of Dino. No Varnish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had to re-do the oil pan gasket on a 1995 John Deere 5200 due to poor surface prep on the oil pan. Tractor has 4069 hours, this is a tractor I enjoy working on. It's 2WD so there's no driveshaft to pull.
laugh.gif
Had about 180 hours / 18 months on the oil.

All its life its had 15W-40, recently its been using Chevron Delo 15W-40 and a few years back John Deere Plus 50 II. Previously, I think dad used Canadian Tire Motomaster 15W-40. Not the best photo but I wanted to share anyways.

gvk6ghR.jpg

I've never seen a diesel engine with varnish. Even engines of the 1980's run on the 15W40 oils of that era for 20k mile intervals. I got to see many HD diesels torn down in the early 1990's at my first job in a trucking company's shop.

With my own trucks, every overhead adjustment lets me see the top end and they are always nice and shiny. I know synthetics are helpful in a gasoline engine (see Tig1's pics), but no need for a synthetic HDEO in a diesel to prevent varnish.

Thanks for the pic Farmer. I'm just putting it out there for the newbies of diesel ownership that you don't need an expensive oil to do the job.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dustyroads
I've never seen a diesel engine with varnish. Even engines of the 1980's run on the 15W40 oils of that era for 20k mile intervals.

+1.

Now you have done it,the no varnish guys will be running to Wallys creating a vacuum as the 15w40 goes off the shelves...lol

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: dustyroads
I've never seen a diesel engine with varnish. Even engines of the 1980's run on the 15W40 oils of that era for 20k mile intervals.
+1.
+2, not even sure it is possible.

Nothing runs like a Deere. Lots of coffee being consumed this AM around tables in small town Nebraska and mention of Deere or IH can start quite a conversation. Your engine looks like a piece Made in the USA.

Amen - the coffee club at our Whataburger only has green and red - these are real farmer/ranchers ...

The Taxmaster herd ranchers here (50 acres and 10 cows) have orange units ...
wink.gif

Back in another life, I worked in a JD dealership. Wonderful machines.

BTW: Engine varnish is mostly in gas engines, it is the result of combustion blowby and poor crankcase ventilation. I have pictures somewhere of my 2000 dodge 3.3 V6 from when I changed the valve cover gaskets.
The engine had 152k miles. I used mostly M1 5W-30 in it and serviced the PCV system and air cleaner regularly. The front head was as clean as new. the rear one had a nice coating of orange varnish, it was heaviest in the area where the PCV hose connected. I've read that N/G fueled engines show no varnish.

Diesel, Natural Gas, Propane all are spotless inside. I've seen 8,000 hour marine engines that clean on HDEO.

As stated, it's a gas engine thing. And as long as it's not cruddy/crusty, it's not worth getting undies in a bunch over.

Coking and ring sticking in gas motors are another matter ...
smirk.gif

Looks good! Those are excellent tractors. In high school I worked on a farm and we had a 5300 JD with a loader. I loved that tractor. Extremely reliable, easy to maintain, and plenty of power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back