Ruger Mini

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a Ruger Mini 14 in .223 at Walmart for $747. I have a discount for 25% (Because I work there). That would make the gun around $610 after taxes. Are the Mini 14s good guns? I have read that the newer ones (2005 up) are more accurate. Purpose of the gun would be for fun and a gun for deer for in the woods. Opinions?

In this caliber I would only take a neck shot. So you would need to have a gun that shoots a tight group at 100 yards. Someone who's a really good shot could do it off-hand.

Originally Posted By: FordBroncoVWJeta
There is a Ruger Mini 14 in .223 at Walmart for $747. I have a discount for 25% (Because I work there). That would make the gun around $610 after taxes. Are the Mini 14s good guns? I have read that the newer ones (2005 up) are more accurate. Purpose of the gun would be for fun and a gun for deer for in the woods. Opinions?

The 223 is marginal for deer. Many states do not allow you to use it because of this (not sure about Kansas). A Mini 30 would be much better for deer as it shoots the 7.62x39mm Russian round, which is very similar to the venerable 30-30 Winchester (to around 150 yards) that has put tons of deer meat on tables.

The Mini14 is a fantastic Fun Gun. I don't know of another that is as much fun for the $$. But, I would not call it a deer rifle.

Sub .25 caliber guns have many restrictions in many States for hunting. Might be fine for your neck of the wood (?), but you can't hunt with it everywhere. 270 or 308, you betcha - every day in every local.

So it has to be a trade off. Mini14 for now and work on yoru trigger skills. But budget for a larger caliber actual deer rifle. I've bought most of mine used (Gunbroker is a good place to "window shop").

I'm currently rebuilding a 30-06 Model of 1917 Eddystone that was a military rifle that someone had "sporterized" many years ago. Hope to have it at the range within a few weeks. Older military rifles that have been converted to civilian use (sporterized) are cheap enough and they can be quite good shooters.

They do not retain any collector value because they are not true to their original identity, nor are they purpose-built civilian hunting rifles with any desirability. So they are just shooters
smile.gif
Just what you're looking for a field rifle. If it slips and falls down the canyon, you cry because the hunt is messed up, not because your vintage pre-1970 Winchester Model 70 is trashed ...

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
The 223 is marginal for deer. Many states do not allow you to use it because of this (not sure about Kansas). A Mini 30 would be much better for deer as it shoots the 7.62x39mm Russian round, which is very similar to the venerable 30-30 Winchester (to around 150 yards) that has put tons of deer meat on tables.

In Kansas, as long its a center fire rifle its legal. I did want a 7.62x39, but Walmart will not get one in. Maybe it will just be a brush gun...

For less money (if they still have them), you can get nearly like new Yugo SKS guns at Classic Firearms. The SKS makes for a darn fine deer gun, and if you don't permanently mod it, it will have some collectors value.

The only thing I don't like about the Mini is it takes it's own mini specific magazines. The aftermarket Pro Mags are so so and the factory Ruger ones are $$$

Originally Posted By: c502cid
The only thing I don't like about the Mini is it takes it's own mini specific magazines. The aftermarket Pro Mags are so so and the factory Ruger ones are $$$

Thermold makes Mini 14 mags now also. I would say they are better than the Pro Mags, but not up to factory mag status. Another possible option if you are hunting up close would be a commercial M1 Carbine. You can get them used at decent prices and the hollow point ammo shows good penetration and expansion. Be like hunting with a 44 magnum in terms of power, which people here in Iowa do with some good success.

M1 Carbine Ballistics Gel Test

Last edited:
Can you go to a gun range, rent one and see if you even like shooting it?

A friend has one and I enjoy shooting it. Ammo is cheap, the recoil is nothing, it's easy to field strip and clean. His is a stainless steel model. He carries it in his pickup and uses it to scare off coyotes on his farm. He never shoots to hit them, just to convince them that somewhere else is a better place to be.

It's kind of funny that an AR is considered a "bad" gun and citizens should not be allowed to have one but the gun control people are completely okay with the Mini 14. One California senator said that the AR has a "dangerous pistol grip", is black and the gun is only designed to kill people but that the Mini 14 is a real hunting rifle. I wonder if anyone bothered to tell him that both guns are semi-automatic and shoot exactly the same ammunition.

I'm currently shooting 3 Ruger Mini 14's. The top one is a NRA Commemorative Model that has the Hogue overmolded stock, and is scoped. And the other 2 are both tactical models. One blued, and the other in Stainless Steel. All 3 are the "new" Model Mini 14's, (post 2005). That were produced with the slightly thicker barrels, and the redesigned gas block. That were manufactured after the entire Ruger Mini 14 assembly line was retooled. This was supposed to increase accuracy over the earlier produced Mini's. As you may know, Mini 14's are not the most accurate rifles. Part of the reason is when Ruger pressed the gas block on to the barrel, it generated a lot of stress in the barrel itself. Some times to the point when the barrel got hot from frequent shooting it would warp, and in the process walk rounds all over the target. The newer Mini 14's are supposedly void of this problem.

All 3 of my Mini's are not as accurate as any of my AR-15's. In that regard you could say the AR-15 is an inherently accurate rifle, while the Mini 14 is an inherently inaccurate one. With that said, all 3 of mine are more accurate than any older Mini14's I've run across at the range. While the newer one's are not all that accurate, they are consistent, and don't walk rounds when they get hot.

Ruger Mini 14's are extremely reliable rifles, and will run very well clean or dirty, and with most all types of ammunition. One standard feature of the Ruger Mini 14 is they will eject the brass into the next county. All 3 of mine will toss brass a good 20 to 30 feet. This is because as a rule the Ruger Mini 14 is over gassed. They sell adjustable gas blocks for them. But I have never found it to be enough of a nuisance to alter the weapon over. While ejection is very positive, none of mine dent or damage brass.

The price you're quoting is a good one. But if you're serious about deer hunting, don't do it with a Mini 14, unless you get one in 7.62 X 39 MM. That is a far better deer cartridge than the .223 will ever be on it's best day. There are some that will argue that, but the .223 is a varmint cartridge. Shooting it out of a cool looking black rifle does not make it any more deadly. Yes, it will kill a deer, but so will a .22 L.R. That doesn't make it a good choice. As was mentioned, the Ruger Mini 14 in .223 is a "fun gun". That is why I have mine. The gun is pure joy to shoot. Because of that I hardly ever pack up for a trip to the range without loading at least one Mini 14 with the rest of my guns.... Along with plenty of ammunition for it.

As far as magazines, Ruger factory magazines while more expensive, are the only one's that will function 100% all the time. That is why I don't own ANY other aftermarket magazines for my Mini's. The prices have come down considerably on Ruger Mini 14 magazines recently. And if you watch for sales you can pick them up quite reasonably. With the recent election results that will likely improve even more.

There are far better deer rifles in the case at our Wallyworld for far less money than a Mini. The fact that you get a nice discount would make the decision a no-brainer for me. The Savage rifles with Accu-trigger are fine inexpensive rifles for example. Clean kills should be first priority.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein

In Kansas, as long its a center fire rifle its legal. I did want a 7.62x39, but Walmart will not get one in. Maybe it will just be a brush gun...

In Kansas any center fire is legal...

take care.

Yes the new minis are good guns for what they are. They are mostly a fun blaster, small game pest control or self defense (notice I didn't say "combat") rifle and they will work well in that regard. Just be sure to use only Ruger magazines.

If you want to use a Ruger mini as a deer rifle, I would get the Mini-30 7.62x39 or the mini 6.8 in 6.8 SPC. Both will work well for deer inside of 100 yards and will have very mild recoil and blast, similar to the 30-30 winchester cartridge. You will probably never see those calibers at a Wal-Mart but you should be able to find the mini 30 or mini 6.8 at a local gun shop for around $725 or so.

If you really don't want to pass up the deal and get the mini 14 at Wal-Mart, go for it. If you insist on using it for deer, I would suggest a high velocity, high performance load with 64 to 70 grain hollow point. High velocity loads from Corbon, Black Hills, Hornady superformance, something along those lines to maximize the lethality of the .223 round should give good enough results for deer inside of 100 yards.

Have fun buying yourself a Christmas present and let us know what you end up getting!

I'd use the mini 14 in a heartbeat for deer. The 1/9 twist limits you to bullets under 69gr., but there are still great bullets like Hornady 55gr. GMX, 55/53/50gr. Barnes TSX, 62gr. Fusion bonded, Win. 64gr. Power Point, etc. In PA we can't use 22 center-fire because when the law was written decades ago only fast expanding varmint bullets were available. That has obviously changed today, the law being outdated. No semi-auto here either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back