Incorrect oil change information

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a CPO 2013 BMW from the dealership about 3 months ago and have been having some issues from the beginning. The worst came when I was looking to see when the last oil change was done as I wanted to do it more often.

When i bought my car I was told the oil was changed at 16k km and 39k km. Long story short, after reaching out the BMW dealership that the car was serviced at they said that oil was topped up at 16k km (10l) and only changed at 39k km. I've ordered a oil testing kit to see the damage. The dealership wants to check it out themselves but not sure what else I should do.

You will not learn much from a single UOA. Even if it shows high iron or low TBN that is no proof damage has been done.

You would basically need to disassemble the engine and mic the crankshaft along with inspecting it carefully and compare those results with ones from a properly maintained vehicle of the same mileage.

Most likely the damage will not show up for a few years and then it will show up as burning oil or something similar.

Last edited:
If they misrepresented the oil change history that's actionable. And while an oil sample might not show any issues....it could. Which is why your only risk in taking it is $25 or so. Keep pulling on this thread until you get a satisfactory resolution....ideally...them taking the car back.

Reality check. How many people are going to stick their neck out and buy a sporty, higher dollar car who's first oil change was done at 24,000 miles? You'd have walked away from that on day one if that had not given out false information. They originally stated it had under 10,000 mi for the initial OCI. Or at least the sales person told you that. That's all that matters. Hopefully, it doesn't come down to their word vs. your word.

Can this car even be considered CPO - "certified" pre-owned with that 24K OCI? What does BMW say about that? Are they going to certify that engine to 100K miles? 150K miles? For as long as you own it? Assuming you get stuck with the car can you get a long term service plan from BMW/dealership for 150K miles? Would you even want one? I put a down payment on a car once that had some negative information show up on the GM service warranty history....something not given to me on the day I put the deposit down at the dealer. It was quite negative and my local GM dealer told me they wouldn't touch that car with a 10 foot pole with that terrible history of abuse. The other dealership refused to give me my deposit back. I eventually made complaints to the state DMV and filed a complaint with the BBB. 4 months later the dealership finally replied to me and refunded my deposit. They blamed it all on a "rogue" sales manager and salesman. Whatever.

To properly "certify" this car that exceeded recommended OCI by a large amount, wouldn't they have had to pull out the engine and inspect it internally? Otherwise, how could it possibly be "certified" with the warranty requirements blown away?

My dealer won't CPO a used BMW if the recommended services were not performed. That said, the quality of CPO cars of any make are only as good as the dealer that inspects and certifies them.

Hope you got it cheap ...

If so, change the oil a few times at 3,000 and the filter with a high detergent oil and drive on. A lotta BMW engines will go over 200,00 w/o issue.

So it might only go 175,000 before starting to consume oil - you goinna keep it that long?

Originally Posted By: Aladdin
oil was topped up at 16k km (10l) and only changed at 39k km.

Did they "top off" the oil at 16Mm using 10L of oil? or did you mean "10kmiles", as a conversion for us metric challenged folk?

There won't be any damage....My ford explorer was a Ford lease return and in the first 106K KM the owner only had 2 oil changes....now 14 years later at 335KM the engine runs fine and burns 1/2 L oil in 12K km...go drive your car and worry about what matters

Thanks! I am planning on getting the oil check done just to see what the results show.

I agree and have been pushing the dealer to take the car back but thy would only trade it in for a lower value. Not sure what else I could test or do to check the condition or to get them to take it back

Sorry for the confusion, they filled up 1L and for using metric. Basically it was a small topup.

I wish I did - based on the information I had I thought what I paid was fair but given this fact I feel like I grossly overpaid for the car.

I don't plan on keeping the car for that long but I'm worried if there is engine issue the repair won't be cheap and the car will have lost value.

I'm worried about the piston rings, cylinder lining, main and rod bearing... and of course the hit to the value of the car.

I'm worried about the piston rings, cylinder lining, main and rod bearing... and of course the hit to the value of the car.

Well you can stop worrying, that little extended oil change isn't even going to matter. And if you dont plan to keep it then all the more reason to move on.

How many km's you made since then? Any oil consumption? How is engine behaving? What is gas consumption?
If there is any damage it will be turbo first then other parts. How is turbo? Any noise? Any smoke coming out?
What I would do is put new oil, then change it in 2000km, put new and then change every 8-10,000km.

I bought it around 62k km and had an oil change done by them shortly after. The car is at 65k km now and I was thinking of changing the oil when I take a sample for Blackstone. It's all electronic so no dip stick to check the oil levels but have not gotten any warnings yet. I've been mostly driving it around the city with some highway and averaging around 11km / 100L. The engine and turbo sound a bit louder but I just started paying more attention to it to see if there's any.
I did notice a bit of smoke during one of the coldest days here coming out of the front grill when i stopped but by the time i was home i didn't really notice any. I'll pop the hood open and check too next time i drive

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back