UK- Honda CRV 2009 ?(MK3) R20A2 Engine Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello

I recently purchased second hand CRV UK 2009 (MK3) R20A2 Engine 2.0 Petrol car with approx 30,000 miles on it (48,000km)
Owners manual states car requires ACEA A1/B1 A3/B4 or A5/B5 oils

Viscosity fo Petrol in UK/Europe is based on Viscosity chart and ambient temperature.

Disel requires ow-30 oils.

I am seeing many ACEA C3 oils, are they ok to be used as well considring they have lower ASH levels and low TBN?

A3/B3 provides best protection, A5/B5 fuel economy and bit less protection then A3 oils. What is A3/B4? Can that be used as car needs A3/B3?

I am intrested in Mobil 5W-30 ESP oil but this is C3 oils and very low SAPS and TBN, also intrested in Mobil 1 New Life A3/B3 0W-40 but is this to thick oil?

I will be driving mostly stop and go on the streets, not much racing
smile.gif

Dont really care about fuel economy benefits and mostly care about optimal protection.

When you compare oils, what characteristics do you compare, Flash points, Viscosity Index, 100c Viscosity (Higher the better prottection)?

Many thanks all for your advices

Your car would be fine with A5/B5 since it's designed around low HT-HS viscosity. Plenty of 5w30 out there. Difference between A3/B3 and A3/B4 is that later is direct injected diesel lubricant. It has also higher min TBN, and if you proceed with full SAPS, high HT-HS viscosity oil than choose B4 oil over B3.
In UK, you can use any oil TBH, since petrol is ultra low sulphur.
Shell Helix ultra 5w40 is my preferred A3/B4 oil, Valvoline Synpower MST 5w40 C3 oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back