Oil extractors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BobsArmory
I use mine all the time for power steering, Brake fluid, Transmissions but my truck has some kind of baffle that prevents me from getting all the oil out. But like it's been said above, make sure the fluid is warm and it goes a lot faster.

After getting a Liquivac, I don't know how I lived without it. I even bled the clutch hydraulics on my Corolla with it!

I've never done oil, but it takes about 10 minutes to get 5 quarts of warm ATF out of my mom's Impala through the dipstick tube.

I bought one from Harbor Freight around 5 years ago. Hook up the air compressor to it so it builds up vacuum and viola' it works really well. Have used it to change many automotive fluids and small engine oil changes. It holds 5 gallons before I have to dump it. Buy one, you wont be sorry!!!

I was amazed by how well my cheapo extractor from Pep Boys worked...my oil capacity is supposed to be 5.4 quarts and I sucked just over 5 liters out, so it got just about everything (I was nearly dead on the full mark on the dipstick at the start). It's going to be nice to not have to lay on the cold ground for changes in the winter since I am lucky enough to have a top mounted oil filter...in warm weather, I will go ahead and pull the plug.

I've drained via the sump plug for 45 years and only recently bought an extractor when my latest car needed the under tray removing to access the sump plug. It works so well I'll never go back. And I checked, it does get all the oil out.

I wonder if it could be used as a vacuum brake bleeder.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: i_hate_autofraud
I wouldn't do it, it can't get all the oil like pulling the plug for 10 minutes!

What proof do you have to verify this?

I've pulled oil pans to verify that this does work.

About 10 yrs ago I tried an extractor, but it looked like it don't reach the bottom of the pan cause 2-3 cups of oil came out when I dropped the plug to see. Don't remember the brand.

Originally Posted By: barryh
I've drained via the sump plug for 45 years and only recently bought an extractor when my latest car needed the under tray removing to access the sump plug. It works so well I'll never go back. And I checked, it does get all the oil out.

I wonder if it could be used as a vacuum brake bleeder.

Yes, it does exist. Mityvac #7205.

Originally Posted By: laserred96gt
Which mityvac pump do you guys recommend for ATF suction on fords with dip stick tube ?

I have the 7201 which works very well for ATF extraction via the dipstick tube.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Which mityvac pump do you guys recommend for ATF suction on fords with dip stick tube ?

Thank you, thats what i was leaning towards after watching a couple of youtube videos.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Thank you, thats what i was leaning towards after watching a couple of youtube videos.

You're welcome!

I've had mine for a few years now and for transmission servicing in older cars where taking off a line might cause issues, it works great. I extract as much fluid as possible, and then drop the pan. It is much easier and way less messy. If you want to do a partial exchange for whatever reason it is great for that too. Replacing a thermostat and don't feel like messing with the petcock, or removing the lower radiator hose, just extract coolant from the radiator and/or overflow tank. I used it to fill a manual transmission that uses ATF after a service. Instead of messing around under the vehicle with a pump bottle or funnel I poured the approximate amount of ATF into the MitiVac and used it to dispense it. You can do that with transfer cases too. The list goes on and on, well worth the investment.

Last thoughts: I make sure it is thoroughly clean when I put it away so if I decide to use it to dispense fluid I know its clean.

Have the cheapie Mityvac 7400. It's never failed me for ATF extraction with transmissions equipped without a plug.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back