Ford Escape Titanium or Mazda CX-5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, We have been looking at these 2 as well as the RAV4 to replace my beater Sable.
any one have experience with these?
so far we have only driven the Escape 2.0. It is a 2014 with 24K on the clock.
The plan is to pay off the remainder we owe on the Camry, then either take out another loan or pay cash.
The money is from a inheritance.

Re: financial. I'd look at what you qualify for loan rates, figure out how fast you will pay off (balloon payments or the required minimum), and then figure out what you would pay in interest. Compare that total to what a new car would cost (assuming 0% apr or again include finance charges). Reason being, you might decide to put money into your retirement or mortgage as it "pays better"; or perhaps the interest is too much to your liking, and you'd rather pay cash. Just my opinion.

I'm a Toyota fanboy, and I know nadda about the Ford. One upshot to the Toyota is that Toyota's tend to all be the same--I kinda like how all of my current vehicles have the switch gear in the same spot, take the same scanner, etc. That RAV4 is likely the same engine (will be if you get the 2.5L) meaning same oil, same filters, etc. For me I kinda like that--others might prefer to have their vehicles not so similar (and vanilla).

What generation of the RAV4? The latest, or the prior one? If prior, I'd skip the 2.4L and aim for the 2.5. It'll come with the 4 speed auto, but I think the V6, while more powerful and with the 5 speed auto, is just harder to work on. The newer gen is only 2.5L with the six speed auto. No comments on the newer gen, as I never drove one. I did drive the prior one, 2.5L/4AT, and it was a humdrum drive. Adequate would be one way to sum it up--fine by me, others not so much.

My brother bought one of the first CX-5's to hit the lots. Zero problems since he's owned it and he loves it. Pickiest guy I know. I love Honda, but in this segment, I would definitely pick the Mazda.

I bought a new Ford yesterday, I test drove the Escape. Good car just a bit cramped. Bought a new 2016 Edge. Ecoboost, leather, technology package, bright red, Panoramic roof. Sticker was just over $39,000 got it for $33,000. Plus a $500 Visa card. Then they said I could finance it for zero % for 5 years. Put the check book away and financed it. Drove it home. Will be driving it to work tomorrow morning.

Nice ride - Congratulations
wink.gif

Wife's got a '16 2.0 Escape -has about 15k on it so far. No issues and drives great. Plenty of pep and decent fuel economy (better than her 03 3.0 Escape). The 2.0 has been out for a while and I don't think there are many issues.

If you like it and it's got a good record I'd not hesitate.

Originally Posted By: itguy08
Wife's got a '16 2.0 Escape -has about 15k on it so far. No issues and drives great. Plenty of pep and decent fuel economy (better than her 03 3.0 Escape). The 2.0 has been out for a while and I don't think there are many issues.

If you like it and it's got a good record I'd not hesitate.

My parents get great mileage (nearly 30) from their escape 2.0 using 91. It needs rear rotors and pads every 25K, but that's more a function of the rust belt. It has 60K miles on it and the only think that seemed to break early was the hatch close handle. Apparently the screw fell out.

I like the 2.0 in the Escape, seems to have plenty of zip! Makes it much more interesting and fun to drive than a Rav or CRV. Only live once so go for the fun one.

Originally Posted By: chiefsfan1
Hi all, We have been looking at these 2 as well as the RAV4 to replace my beater Sable.
any one have experience with these?
so far we have only driven the Escape 2.0. It is a 2014 with 24K on the clock.
The plan is to pay off the remainder we owe on the Camry, then either take out another loan or pay cash.
The money is from a inheritance.
I bought a 2014 CX-5 Touring new. Went back two weeks later and bought my wife a leftover 2013 Mazda 3. Fantastic company and neither vehicle ever went back to the dealer.

My vote is for the CX-5. Owned a '14 and now own a '16.5, zero problems with either. Well, the '14 had a premature battery failure but I don't really consider that a problem.

We bought the '14 RAV and 6 months later daughter bought a '15 CX-5. They're so close in driving dynamics, etc. they could be different trim levels of the same model. Both have been flawless past 20K miles as expected. Toyota addressed the 2 main complaints of harsh ride and interior noise level on the '16 refresh, not sure of any updates on the CX-5. Can't go wrong with either.

Sorry in advance Ford fanboys of BITOG, no American car company can compete with the reliability of a Japanese car.

You'd have to drive both to see what you like more. I'd get the CX5 but that's because I'm absolutely sick of the smug attitude Toyota drivers have, and how they always have to drive 2 inches from my bumper and pass me at 90 in 55 like they're hot [censored].

Originally Posted By: horse123
Sorry in advance Ford fanboys of BITOG, no American car company can compete with the reliability of a Japanese car.

You'd have to drive both to see what you like more. I'd get the CX5 but that's because I'm absolutely sick of the smug attitude Toyota drivers have, and how they always have to drive 2 inches from my bumper and pass me at 90 in 55 like they're hot [censored].

Aren't you the one with the 2012 Subaru Impreza that your mom bought for your sweet 16? I see you removed it from your signature, LOL. I would too.

Sorry Japanese fanboy, my Ford has more miles and has been more "reliable" than the car it replaced, an Infiniti G35.

Nothing against the Mazda - they make great vehicles too and is worth a look.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver

Aren't you the one with the 2012 Subaru Impreza that your mom bought for your sweet 16? I see you removed it from your signature, LOL. I would too.

Found the guy driving his camry like it's an M5 on a track. You seem extra angry tonight, get a ticket for driving like a dinkbag on the way home?

Do you claim:

1.) Mazda is up to par with Toyota and Honda
2.) Most people want to look at that in the drive ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back