Massive treeroots, lifting up concrete walkway

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have oaks by an easement with roots growing under a concrete walkway. I've cleared multiple times the top 10 to 12 inch layer with a Dewalt electric hacksaw, probably went through 60 blades of various kinds as inevitably there are chunks of concrete at depth, rocks and who knows what else.

Perhaps once in 10 years or thereabouts, city comes and rips up sections of the walkway, excavates the roots ( think "Gold Rush" ) with massive dozers, re-pours the concrete and generally leave the area looking like a vision of a war zone. It takes years to recover the ground aesthetics even with resodding.

That is why I prefer to delay the destruction by City crew for as long as I can but am thinking I may be using the wrong tool or blades.

If there is a simpler and safe way to cut along the edge of the concrete (about 100 yards in length, not just one spot), suggest away.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure once the tree has matured all you can do is what you're doing. I know people who have slammed a pipe along side the tree going down a good 6' or more and shove a hose in there and water the tree once or twice a week through the pipe for a good 15 minutes or so. That's in hope to get the roots to follow the water back down into the ground. Trees that don't get enough water end up having the roots near the surface seeking it. I'm not sure if that will work with a mature tree though, it might be worth looking into.

It is tough - at a prior home - gave up and built an overframed deck and boardwalk so I could just transfer load around the mess ...

If you're reaching 12 inches under surface you probably need to get it located for utilities etc. Yeah you know there's nothing down there but it's the law. My wife is the locator for the gas company here and there's a reason for it. www.sunshine811.com for you. Just a friendly heads-up.

my neighbors fought this for years - it even entered my property - I just rocked the area since it was out of the way.
When the old man died - she cut that oak down and just cut several others. Really a shame - she is 83 - -no these oaks might have been older ...
her place looks like YAWN now ... still nice and neat minus majestic oaks ...

Be very careful if you cut the tree roots it weakens it and the tree could come down in a wind storm... I had the roots cut from under my sidewalk and the guy that did it said i should take down the tree for that reason..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back