Loose driveshaft? Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get underneath my truck and CLP it from time to time and have noticed that when I touch the driveshaft- it moves. Why is it not rigid? Does it become rigid when it is turning and centrifugal forces come into effect?

Your description is not clear as to what the movement of your driveshaft is. A picture of the driveshaft and a more detailed description of exactly what you are experiencing, would make it much easier to advise you.

At this point the movement could be normal, or it could be a sign of worn components. I just can't say which it is without more info.

Rotational or up and down. There will be some play. Could be time for u-joints.
How much is it moving? The WS6 has tons of play. Haven't looked at the truck.

It can't be rigid because it moves up and down and the twisting free play is the stacking of the clearances in the trans and differential etc.

Indeed, you make it sound like bad u-joints, which usually clunk in operation, particularly when going from reverse to forward.

But I'm guessing you are parking on level ground, and as such, can rotate the shaft slightly, as the engine or transmission parking pawl is not holding the vehicle steady. In this case the slight clearances in the pinion can be felt (aka gear lash); I believe the spider gears may also contribute to total lash. This drivetrain "play" doesn't seem to be felt in operation, at least not usually (think on-off on the throttle, going between accel and decel).

Originally Posted By: CT8
It can't be rigid because it moves up and down and the twisting free play is the stacking of the clearances in the trans and differential etc.

I'm not talking about lash. I mean I can physically 'bench press' it up into the 'tunnel' when underneath the truck. I thought it would be 'fixed' from the transmission to the rear-end.

the engine/gearbox is mounted on rubber, and the rear-end is suspended.. are you sure it's not everything moving?

Some have an extra ujoint in the driveshaft whic is also mounted in rubber.

If you have a center ujoint it will definately move up and down. My advise is if it is not causing any symptoms or problems don't worry about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back