LastPass

Status
Not open for further replies.
They got compromised very famously not too long ago. I wouldn't touch this service of those like it with a 10ft. pole.

https://www.hackread.com/lastpass-hacked-this-time-for-good/

If you need to make sure your login info is synced across various devices, platforms, etc. **both Firefox, Opera and Chrome already do that natively** (I am not sure if Opera runs on iOS). I do not ever recall their servers or databases having been compromised and they encrypt your data with a key or passphrase of your choosing.

Originally Posted By: Al
Lastpass.com

Pretty neat.Convenient way of consolidating passwords. Log onto the site click onto the sights you have registered..The sight comes up with your password invisible and you are in. If you do the premium service you can install it across all your devices and log in from anywhere. Its $1/month

It takes some effort to set up but once you do a site it goes quick. I really only put a dozen things on it so far. I'll add more as time goes by but all the critical ones are on it now.

I have been using it for a couple of years. PC and phone. I use a Yubico for two factor.

Between 5% and 10% of websites do not work smoothly so some manual effort is required.

Also some banks handle a few different credit cards but the bank URL is the same or very similar and that messes things up also.

Firefox has their own login / password manager. But ever since I switched my browsing option to Private Window with tracking protection, none of my logins and passwords are saved anymore.

Are there any of these 3rd party Password Manager programs that work while surfing in Private Window?

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Firefox has their own login / password manager. But ever since I switched my browsing option to Private Window with tracking protection, none of my logins and passwords are saved anymore.

Are there any of these 3rd party Password Manager programs that work while surfing in Private Window?

LastPass does.

Any 3rd-party service, even an add-on or extension to which you've given permission to work in Private mode, will.

The whole point of "Private Browsing" is to *not* store any trace of your browsing session **locally on your computer**; including cookies, entered passwords, history, etc. It changes nothing about how you are presented to the sites you visit during your browsing session - It doesn't even prevent cookies from being placed and used (including being stored by a site) during your current browsing session, unfortunately. It just leaves no trace locally when you're done.

Tracking Protection, as I understand it, is not a protection at all but rather a signal to a site that you wish not to be tracked. It is left up to the site whether or not they comply.

You can set a Master Password in Firefox to encrypt your locally-stored data (else it is all stored in plain text!), and Chrome allows you to use your Google login passphrase or one set specifically, for encryption of your data. Both will store your data in their cloud if you choose and sync that data to every other installation you have set up under that account.

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more

Any 3rd-party service, even an add-on or extension to which you've given permission to work in Private mode, will.

The whole point of "Private Browsing" is to *not* store any trace of your browsing session **locally on your computer**; including cookies, entered passwords, history, etc. It changes nothing about how you are presented to the sites you visit during your browsing session - It doesn't even prevent cookies from being placed and used (including being stored by a site) during your current browsing session, unfortunately. It just leaves no trace locally when you're done.

Tracking Protection, as I understand it, is not a protection at all but rather a signal to a site that you wish not to be tracked. It is left up to the site whether or not they comply.

You can set a Master Password in Firefox to encrypt your locally-stored data (else it is all stored in plain text!), and Chrome allows you to use your Google login passphrase or one set specifically, for encryption of your data. Both will store your data in their cloud if you choose and sync that data to every other installation you have set up under that account.

My Firefox login / password both work in Private Window, as long as I'm using existing, established stored logins and passwords.

What it won;t create is any new logins or new passwords, while in Private Windows. Perhaps I should have mentioned that hiccup in my earlier post.

So does programs like LastPass create "NEW" logins and passwords, while in Private Windows?

So does programs like LastPass create "NEW" logins and passwords, while in Private Windows?

Yes, the LastPass data generated during a Firefox Private browsing session will be retained because LastPass uses its own database, independent of Firefox, and is therefore not wiped out when closing a Private window.

Having said that, and not having Firefox right in front me, you might have to explicitly set the LastPass add-on or extension as being permitted to run in Private windows. I am using Chrome at the moment and I know that I have to "opt *in*" for that permission for add-ons and extensions.

I am a victim of the IRS hack so the Eastern European turds know everything about me. So, I have all of my credit files locked with only one agency where I have a subscription and dashboard where I can unlock my account for 15 minutes for a credit check. I then use my own alpha numeric passwords that are pretty strong for financial accounts. All the rest is meaningless.

BTW, IRS is still wide open. I just got a refund check for 4x my refund that was rejected by the East European bank and subsequently mailed to me. So that means the turds filed electronically again.
crazy2.gif

You can be as safe as you want......but they hack the big boys who have your data anyway.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back