rekluse centrifugal clutches - anyone use them ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a new friend from a work conference, who loves riding her Harley, but arthritis has set in on her hands, and she's finding the clutch a real chore, and reducing her entertainment quite badly.

She's after solutions, and I've seen videos of the centrifugal clutched on Harleys helping with hill starts and traffic.

Anyone played with them ?

Pro's Cons, advice ?

Have one on my dirt bike. Better longevity than OEM. works just like a Honda trail 90. Still need to shift but no clutch lever required.

I've heard of them for dirt bikes, but not street bikes. Can only be good....sometimes on a long ride I'd like one. The clutch on my scooter is a bit aggressive, being a 2 stroke it's off like a shot instantly for 3 metres...then it turns into a 50cc scooter.

recluse is the brand to get. a lot of desert and enduro racers love them. i'm sure if they do make on for the harley id be awesome.

That looks like the way to go for her. Triumph made a device they call the Slickshift - a ramp that worked the clutch pushrod when the gearlever was moved. They obviously weren't popular because I never saw one fitted to a bike....but in our endless search for parts we found some, and retro fitted them to our pre unit 650's. They only worked on gearchanges, and didn't work to move off from a standing start...or could they?...?

One day at a mates place, we needed a feed, so we went off to the takeways on my mates '56 T'Bird, not very stock. We got a big helping of fish and chips, mussels etc, wrapped up in newspaper, I was pillion carrying the parcel. On the way back we found a gang member we knew broken down, and stopped to help. We needed some parts, and as we were very close to the pad, I rode down to get the bits needed - fish N chips held to my chest with my left hand, right hand on the throttle...ape hangers of course. I put it into gear and rode off down the road, then came back with the parts to get his bike going. He goes over to the bike, pulls the clutch in, checks the front brake is working, obviously very puzzled. My mate says he said ''Did you see that? he didn't use the clutch, is it on the right?'' Nah, it's just like your's he was told.

The only downside is no more blipping the throttle at stops.

Really, they work well.

On harley the primary is easy to open up, great access.

Honda has a dual clutch transmission on some bikes.

There is also a Yamaha suto clutch system

BMW has shift assist.

Rod

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ragtoplvr

Pull in the clutch lever with rekluse installed. Blip throttle at every stop. I know this is important for the Harley riders.

Originally Posted By: Shrubitup

Pull in the clutch lever with rekluse installed. Blip throttle at every stop. I know this is important for the Harley riders.

Hmm, I don't sit at red lights reving and bliping the throttle, on any bike. They all run and idle just fine, no throttle needed. In fact I try to stay out of town and the [censored] red lights.

i have raced with an EFM No-Stall autoclutch since 2002. EFM was selling them to gncc racers for 3 years before rekluse became a company. EFM made them for harley's before rekluse was a company.

the only reason i am on my 2nd EFM is because the 1st went with the bike that i sold.

my EFM allows full use of the clutch lever...if i want to use it.

i think rekluse bought out another company to grab more market share.
i dont think they are even remotely close to being the best, just the most popular (ie harley)

can we get one fit on every open-pipe Harley then?

Originally Posted By: Mik

can we get one fit on every open-pipe Harley then?

are you insane? heck no!

my dirtbike (by law) must be 94db as inspected by the national forrest ranger.
but that harley with open pipes just 15 feet away can blow 160db and be ok

Originally Posted By: sunruh

but that harley with open pipes just 15 feet away can blow 160db and be ok

Yes, but look at all the lives that obnoxious noise saves.
smirk.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back