How could wrong filter cause "blowout"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2003 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.6L V6 with 75,746 miles. Oil change at big blue box franchise. Almost all oil changes for this vehicle have been done at said big box. No previous oil leaks and/or smoke.

August 21, 2016 oil change with 74,483 miles. November 20, took short trip to grocery store. Car had been sitting in garage for 4 days, and climate getting colder in high altitude state. Approximately 150 yards from home, heard a pop from under vehicle. Car started smoking. Immediately turned around and drove home. Appx 50 yards from house, oil light went on. Pulled into driveway and into garage, hemorrhaging oil. Turned off engine, threw a couple of shallow boxes underneath car to catch the carnage. Boxes collected approximately 2 qts of oil (hard to tell exactly, as much of the oil soaked into the boxes).

Towed to mechanic who stated oil filter gasket had blown out. Oil filter part number that came off of the car was a FRAM3506. Shop has also stated that threads on oil filter adapter housing are partially stripped due to wrong filter.

Receipt from big box for 8-21 oil change states they put on a FRAM6607TLE. Prior invoices from same big box states they put on FramPH9688Pro. Contact with big box, they state that the 6607 is correct filter for this vehicle. Fram website indicates that 6607 is equivalent to 9688. Except what was actually put on the vehicle was 3506. Fram website indicates that 3506 is not made for Hyundai's.

Shop cleaned engine, put on correctly sized oil filter, filled with oil and started. Engine is ticking and smoking. They drained/refilled and tried again. Shop states engine needs to be replaced. All in $4,250.00.

So, my question..... how can wrong oil filter blow out after appx 1200 miles with no prior oil leaks or smoking issues? And yes, I have learned my lesson about taking my car for oil changes to franchise big box locations.
frown.gif

3506 has a different thread than your car requires. So they jammed it on there, stripping the threads and it held for a while until it worked itself loose. This is why I like to do the maintenance on my cars myself. So sorry to see an engine ruined by incompetence. Hopefully you can get them to cover the cost since it was their fault.

Last edited:
Either the company will do right by paying your replacement engine bill or you'll beat them in small claims court.

Simple, big blue box screwed up using wrong filter. 3506 uses SAE threads, 9688/6607 metric. Didn't go on right gasket blew out. And according to Fram look up gasket sizes are significantly different too.

And the 6607 maybe used at quickie lubes/indies but in reality it's downsized two sizes from the spec 9688, but it will work.

Link shows specs of two different filters. Spec first then what they used. Big blue owes you. Hope you saved the filter.

http://www.fram.com/search-parts/Part-De...amp;MF=&OT=

http://www.fram.com/Search-Parts/Part-Detail?PN=PH3506

It's happened before with Walmart and they have insurance to protect their interests when these mistakes happen. I'd want to have a talk with the store manager or call corporate. Don't talk to an ordinary store associate about the mess.

And looking at the filter again, while called a 3506 it is NOT a standard Fram PH3506 that I linked, but an ecore filter. So it's a Champ/(Fram) TLE 3506 ecore, still the incorrect filter that caused your issue.

I hope so. Claimed turned in on Wednesday. The manager at big box immediately asked why I hadn't had any oil leaks. So his immediate question made me worry about what I was claiming.

When they contact me on Monday, I'm going to push hard about wrong filter. I am going to try to get them to also pay for rental vehicle, as well as all the kitty litter and baby powder I purchased to clean the carnage in the driveway and my garage. Garage found an engine with 68,000 miles. I was pretty proud that I only have put 61,000 miles on a car I've owned for 12 years.

The BB store will say they put on the right filter and point to their invoice to prove it.

What may have happened later, they do not know. I bet you are SOOL
18.gif

But the invoice filter number isn't the one that was actually on the vehicle. And the shop I took it to took a picture of the blue mark that big box uses to show they were the last one's to change the oil. As well as photographing the oil filter still on my engine.

Last edited:
I hope so. Claimed turned in on Wednesday. The manager at big box immediately asked why I hadn't had any oil leaks. So his immediate question made me worry about what I was claiming.

When they contact me on Monday, I'm going to push hard about wrong filter. I am going to try to get them to also pay for rental vehicle, as well as all the kitty litter and baby powder I purchased to clean the carnage in the driveway and my garage. Garage found an engine with 68,000 miles. I was pretty proud that I only have put 61,000 miles on a car I've owned for 12 years.

Yes, you already said all that a few posts above.
smile.gif

I wouldn't push for kitty litter and baby powder reimbursement. Just the rental and the engine repair bill.

The manager doesn't seem to understand that what happened isn't a leak, its a seal that bursts oil at full pressure, likely when you're driving down the street. it won't just leak sitting in the garage

The threads don't look stripped to me, just chamfered on the end to guide the thread. The filter put on has slightly larger threads than specified, but close in pitch, so I bet the filter was just loose enough to move away from the base with the cold oil under high pressure. Then the gasket was too loose to seal. But in warmer weather it managed to hold on tight enough.
I don't know if I would accept a used engine with more miles on it myself. A factory rebuilt or new engine would be better IMO. Good luck. Totally their fault, good thing a shop was a witness.

Originally Posted By: Kool1
Either the company will do right by paying your replacement engine bill or you'll beat them in small claims court.

yes! Their screwup caused the failure which killed your engine. THEIR liability, you shouldn't be out a penny.

FWIW if the threads were wrong, then the filter wouldn't stay tight, allowing it to move far enough away from the gasket's contact area and allowing oil to escape.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd be going for a new or factory reman engine.

A good lawyer will get them to pay fast if they start being dumb and stalling etc.
I'd advise them they will soon be talking to your lawyer.

This isnt small claims it could be 7-8000$ for a new engine..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back