Chinese Chainsaws?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did anyone ever try any of these cheap Chinese Chainsaws? There are 62cc/52cc/45cc and the come with 22"/20" and 18" bars. They are really cheap with a brand new price of 62cc is $145 / 52cc is $105 and a 45 cc is $88. I saw two 45 cc ones in a pawnshop and I think they were Chinese. No name brand, just marked gas chainsaw. They appeared very well made and they were trying to get $179 each out of them. They were very heavy duty saws. Online reviews are top notch with people saying they are heavy duty with all metal cogs and seem to have a good review other than a cheap chain tensioner which can be replaced. I ordered a 52cc /22" bar for $105 shipped. I have a bunch of chainsaws. All Poulan. One Home light. I really just wanted a big boy. My biggest bar is 18". Poulan seems to make underpowered saws in my opinion. Now before I get all this buy a Stihl, Husky or Echo. I don't need to invest in a top grade saw. I have 9 saws and the only time I cut wood is when a tree falls on my fence or I need firewood for camping. I only ever bought one new saw and that was the 38cc/16" Green Poulan that I beat the [censored] out of and it still runs good. The rest I bought at estate sales and auctions for $5 or $15 dollars. For $105 though I am curious and I would continue to be so I ordered one. Anybody have one of these??

9 saws is a lot for hardly needing them.
smile.gif

Sell what you have and buy 1 Stihl, Echo, Husqvarna etc.
27.gif

(Maybe keep your smallest Poulan for the little stuff.)

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
I saw two 45 cc ones in a pawnshop

Bypass that Chinese garbage and buy a used Stihl, Echo, Husky, or other known good brand. At least you will be able to buy parts and keep it running for a long time.

I was considering buying one and did some research on them a year or so ago. You don't hear of too many horror stories with them, aside from being underpowered compared to the the same CC big dollar saws. I did read of a few tensioner failures, etc. Some even come with extra recoil assemblies and spare parts. In the end, I mail ordered a refurbished Poulan Pro PP5020AV saw for $100 shipped. It's a 50cc, 20". She's a bit heavy, but it starts easy and WOW does it honk through wood with a good chain. A nice sounding saw too if there is such a thing. LOL.

Originally Posted By: Odd_Ball
Who's selling these saws? I've never seen one.

eBay is the most plentiful source.

I suppose if you enjoy supporting Chinese manufacturing, workers and government, then it's probably a worthwhile investment. Personally, as often as possible, I choose not to purchase the inferior Chinese goods. China has a well deserved reputation for producing inferior and often dangerous products, and the idea of purchasing a "Chinese Cheapie" chainsaw that already has the potential to be deadly seems downright foolish. Especially when, by your own admission, you have several other chainsaws already.

Just ask the guy who bought a cheap ladder in this thread how well it worked out. https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4097612/1

I would keep one for the dirty work, cutting roots or [censored] near the ground where you tend to hit rocks and other debris. Keep your good saw for felling and limbing the clean stuff.

If it does what you need it to do and saves you money, then go for it.

On this topic, i picked up a Husky 445 from a dealer. Sure some would call it a box store saw but they set it up, ran it good and tuned it. As per usual on the related sites everyone says they are garbage and everyone should spend the money and get a pro saw.

Mine rips [censored] good with the 18" bar and semi chisel (kept sharp of course). The trees I have to knock down do not require anymore saw that that, in fact I am looking for a cheaper Poulan with a 16 or smaller bar to really rip on the limbing.

Fact is that my cheap Husky is Swedish built and the cheapo Poulans I am looking at are American built.

I think that all the high end Husy/Stihl saws are all foreign built.

Originally Posted By: BrianF
As per usual on the related sites everyone says they are garbage and everyone should spend the money and get a pro saw.

Yup, enjoy your cheapo saw. Mine is a Ryobi made in China and it RIPS! Occasionally and VERY occasionally I cut bigger hardwoods and it's slow on those but all softwood conifer (majority here) it slices through without much effort.

Here's another topic for the online community to bring scorn upon you about: Use Opti-2 oil at 100:1. No failure for me.
happy2.gif

I just cut up the last of the hurricane debris today and I used my Poulan Pro. I don't think I like it as much as my little 16" Green Poulans. I know about the Husky/Stihl. My buddy cuts alot of wood. He says you really appreciate a good saw over junk. That said he prefers Old McCullough and Homesite saws. He even bought one from Alaska. I would never buy a used Stihl or Husky for what they want. If anything Id buy the Echo CS490. But like I said I just don't get to cut enough. I have enough firewood till 2018 because of the hurricane.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
I saw two 45 cc ones in a pawnshop

Bypass that Chinese garbage and buy a used Stihl, Echo, Husky, or other known good brand. At least you will be able to buy parts and keep it running for a long time.

This. If you buy a Chinese saw, don't expect to easily get parts for it.

My main saw is a 1995 Makita made by Dolmar. Very well made saw that screams like a banshee. Might be worth finding a gently used saw and parting with the other 9.

Husqvarna bought Poulan while back and the Poulan Pro 20" is actually made by the original Husqvarna, a steal at $180, what an animal, we used to pay $400 this sort of saw.

I only ever bought one new saw and that was the 38cc/16" Green Poulan that I beat the [censored] out of and it still runs good.

My trusty 14" Poulan "Wood Shark" has been used and abused well beyond anything it was designed for and it simply refuses to die. Still works great. I paid $80 for it 12 years ago. Unfortunately, I don't think the new ones are built like these were.

Originally Posted By: dblshock
Husqvarna bought Poulan while back and the Poulan Pro 20" is actually made by the original Husqvarna, a steal at $180, what an animal, we used to pay $400 this sort of saw.

That's exactly why I bought mine. It was a refurb, but looked new and came in new packaging. It feels like the carb was dialed in just right.

In regards to the question about parts for the no-name Chinese saws. Components like bars and chains are standard off the shelf parts. I believe clutches can be cross-referenced to name brand saws. Plastic parts, recoil assemblies, clutch brakes, etc are going to be saw specific.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back